It is currently Sep 25th, '18, 07:59

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 349 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: Jun 10th, '11, 19:05 
Able Skipper

Have thanks: 96 times
All new members should post here, introducing themselves - before their membership will be approved.

PostPosted: Jun 10th, '11, 21:59 
A great idea Simon.
By the way, for when new members are filling out their details, have you considered making the location field a "required field".
In my case I've often looked through the member list looking for other others in my area only to find many have not bothered to fill it in. Most of us feel that it is nicer to sail with another vessel for company and people who live in areas that don't have that many TS's find it hard to achieve this so I mostly have to sail alone. I don't mind that much but occasional company would be nice.
Some people may have their reasons to keep their location a secret, so if you feel it not appropriate maybe a gentle urge along side.
Just a thought.
Cheers, Pete.

PostPosted: Jun 11th, '11, 03:47 
Admiral

Have thanks: 1039 times
pancho 43 wrote:
A great idea Simon.
By the way, for when new members are filling out their details, have you considered making the location field a "required field".

If it's a required field, they can be as vague or as specific as they like when filling this field. I'm in Bayside Melbourne; its enough to be useful without really placing me closer than the nearest quarter of a million other residents of this side of Melbourne.

Often when reading technical posts I find myself looking to see where the writer is located to see if I can offer to have a look at their problem, or to suggest a Melbourne based supplier.

A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

PostPosted: Jun 14th, '11, 21:15 
Midshipman

Have thanks: 0 time
Hi
Im a new member, Andy in Darwin.
I am renovating an RL 24 for the 3rd season.
Seem to spend the first half of the dry fixing and implementing ideas, till I cant stand it any more and put her on the water till November.
This is a great site
Thanks mariners

PostPosted: Jun 17th, '11, 13:54 
Able Skipper

Have thanks: 91 times
Hi All,

My name is Mees, I live in Brisbane (just 200 m. from Moreton Bay)
We (wife and 2 kids 4 and 6 y old) emmigrated from Holland 2 years ago and love living in Australia
7 months ago we bought a Farr 6000 and I have spent a few hours renovating.
I am a cabinetmaker by trade and work on Superyacht interior fitout so I had to upgrade "rosie's" interior as you might understand. I'll try to post a before and after pic altough that might be a little of topic.
I hope to get and give a lot of useful information on this site.
ImageImage

Farr 6000 "Rosie"

PostPosted: Jun 17th, '11, 20:11 
Administrator

Have thanks: 419 times
Brilliant work Mees.

That's really transformed that little Farr into a work of art.

Welcome to this site.

Feel free to post, ask questions, whatever.

If you get time, please read the code of conduct, so you don't get sucked into any silly squabbles.

Once again Welcome.
Jeff

PostPosted: Jun 17th, '11, 20:16 
Admiral

Have thanks: 498 times
Agreed, top job Mees. Doesn't that brighten the whole thing up?

PostPosted: Jun 18th, '11, 01:12 
Midshipman

Hi Mees
nice work
What is that above the sink in the top right corner of yr 2nd photo?
Looks like a piece of curved wood etc, that isnt in the 1st photo
I like the brighter wood work too and have fitted out my cabin with a raw pine look, after removing the darker teak work.
cheers Andy

PostPosted: Jun 18th, '11, 04:07 
Admiral

Makkah wrote:
Hi Mees
nice work
What is that above the sink in the top right corner of yr 2nd photo?
Looks like a piece of curved wood etc, that isnt in the 1st photo

I think it might be the lip of the cabin hatch in the foreground, rather than something over the sink?

A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

PostPosted: Jun 18th, '11, 20:24 
Able Skipper

Have thanks: 91 times
That's right Zebedee, it.s the cabin entrance you see.

Farr 6000 "Rosie"

PostPosted: Aug 3rd, '11, 02:22 
Admiral

NewGolconda wrote:
Hello, new member.

Have been trailer sailing about a dozen years now, first on a Denis 5m back in the late 90's, and since about 2003 in a Hawk 21ft from WA.

As a Dennis owner and an ex Morris Minor owner, I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that Dennis's are like Morris Minors - EVERYONE either used to have one, or had a family member who had one! Considering they built just 186 of them, they must have changed hands at a frantic pace at one time!

PostPosted: Aug 7th, '11, 15:37 
Midshipman

Hello All,

I'm Douglas, living now in Warrandyte, Melbourne. Recently joined up at the Sugarloaf Sailing Club. A lovely body of water up int he Christmas Hills, being about 2km by 4km. Friendly club and great tuition for youngsters if you are looking for a place to start them.

I've had a Kestral 18' in the past when living down in Warrnambool. Looking now to get my four kids into sailing. I think via some dinghy time before venturing back to the TS world for something I hope to be able to spend some nights in on the Gippsland Lakes.

Thanks for the site and the great information.

Regards,

Doug

PostPosted: Aug 11th, '11, 22:52 
Midshipman

Hello all,

I currently have a TT720 and used to have a Cole 23. Currently building new boats including Swallow Boats BayCruiser 23 trailer sailor.

regards,

Australian agent for Swallow boats,
Joubert Plywood, Barton Marine products
andShaw and Tenney Oars

PostPosted: Aug 11th, '11, 22:58 
Admiral

Those Swallow boats are just lovely, have no idea how much they are over here but would guess very exxy methinks. Welcome to you anyway, have fun. :wink:

Coops

PostPosted: Aug 12th, '11, 13:58 
Able Skipper

Have thanks: 58 times
denmanmarine wrote:
Hello all,

I currently have a TT720 ,

I've always liked TTs but alas they have always (and most likely will always) be outside my price range.

PostPosted: Nov 16th, '11, 09:34 
Midshipman

Hi, My name is Anil. Married with twin 8 year olds, one of whom is autistic but loves sailing. We live in Ballarat and are looking to buy a small trailer sailer in the 16 -18 foot range. I have sailed mainly Mirror dinghys for nearly 40 years and now is time to move up to something bigger that can take two adults and two kids. Wife wants something with a cabin as wants a bit of comfort! Need something with fencing around deck for safety of children. Can anybody suggest any suitable types. Looking to spend around $5,000.

PostPosted: Nov 16th, '11, 10:48 
Admiral

Welcome Anil, it would be worthwhile for you to put a thread in either/both the "General " and the "Buy,sell,swap" section. You can put exactly the same post in as the one here but it will reach a wider audience that way. Best of luck and i hope that you will find something.

Cheers Coops.

PostPosted: Nov 16th, '11, 21:47 
Admiral

aniljak wrote:
Hi, My name is Anil. Married with twin 8 year olds, one of whom is autistic but loves sailing. We live in Ballarat and are looking to buy a small trailer sailer in the 16 -18 foot range. I have sailed mainly Mirror dinghys for nearly 40 years and now is time to move up to something bigger that can take two adults and two kids. Wife wants something with a cabin as wants a bit of comfort! Need something with fencing around deck for safety of children. Can anybody suggest any suitable types. Looking to spend around $5,000.

Hi Anil,

$5k limits you to the smaller trailer sailers, but lifelines (fencing) on smaller boats is not unheard of and is not difficult to do once you've got a pulpit and pushpit.

Presumably you're after a boat for day sailing at this stage, with somewhere to sit down in reasonable comfort rather than to sleep 2 adults and 2 soon-to-be 10 year olds?

I looked at (and came very close to buying) a Griffin GTS17 in Adelaide recently. There are not a lot around and I wouldn't suggest you set your heart on one to the exclusion of all else, but it makes an interesting contrast to my current boat, a Dennis TS500, in the context of your requirements.

The Griffin has good seating height in the cabin and 6 windows, providing a light airy and useful cabin space, in complete contrast to the dark cave that the Dennis has. Otherwise, they are both 35 year old designs around 5 metres, on identical trailers as it happened, the Griffin being 40kg heavier. They're also both around your budget (despite this Griffin asking $6500).

I think it is worth seeing a few different boats in the flesh (and in the cabin) before buying the first bargain you find. Finding these smaller boats is possibly not as easy as finding larger boats since people don't tend to race them.

Specific classes that spring to mind:

I don't recommend the Dennis for your needs.
If you can live with a timber boat (40 years of Mirrors!) then the Hartley TS16 and the Cherry 16 are obvious candidates. I've never seen a Young 5.2, but they look good on paper.

In fibreglass, the Ultimate 16 and Farr 5000 are the stand out 16 foot boats, but this is reflected in their prices.
Others to watch for would include the Botterill Explorer (lots of these around Melbourne), the Griffin, Clipper 17...

Graham

PostPosted: Nov 16th, '11, 22:05 
Admiral

PS, usual advice about check your tow vehicle towing capacity, check if the trailer needs brakes for your tow vehicle, if in any doubt spend $15 at a weighbridge before you commit to a heavy boat, etc.

Outboard motors - few second hand outboards are worth very much at all, which isn't to say they will be unreliable, just that it's hard to tell before you hand over your money. We all tend to keep our good reliable outboard for the next boat! 5hp is ample for most trailer sailers, certainly for small ones. 2hp is adequate for the smaller boats especially if you don't intend motoring long distances.

Sails - a new main is worth about $1000 give or take for boats this size, a jib about $500. Sometimes sails off of something else (eg: Hobie 14 fully battened main) will do the job if you find a good boat with knackered sails.

Trailers are expensive to repair and new trailers are far too expensive. Make sure the trailer under the boat you buy is structurally sound. Hubs, bearings, springs, etc, can all be replaced relatively economically if the basic structure is sound, but the cost of regalvanising a trailer after welded rust repairs tends to be prohibitive.

While brakes are legally required over 750kg, a lot of 5 metre boats are around 600kg to 700kg and do not legally require brakes - until you put them behind something like a Commodore, Falcon, Camry which is limited to, say, 500kg unbraked. Do your homework; details in your car owners manual or on the ADR plate attached to your towbar.

Adding mechanical override brakes if needed will cost roughly $500 in parts. A small amount of welding is required (caliper brackets to axle, override coupling to drawbar). Unbraked hubs are replaced with disks, giving you an opportunity to fit new bearings and learn how to inspect them. Budget somewhere around $700 to $800 with labor if needed...

PostPosted: Nov 16th, '11, 22:10 
Admiral

Also, as well as searching this site, if you google John Crawford Marine and go to the Trailer sailer Library you can get info on most TS's, and specs.

Coops

PostPosted: Nov 29th, '11, 23:03 
Midshipman

Have thanks: 12 times
Hi All.. excited about starting our adventures in "Top Shelf" (Noelex 25).. We're newbies but willing to learn. We're landlubbers here at Kilcoy, but close to Lake Somerset and close enough to the Sunshine Coast and not that far away from other coastal spots on the Queensland coast.
Steve & Denise :D

PostPosted: Nov 30th, '11, 11:51 
Administrator

Have thanks: 419 times
Welcome Steve,

Just remember the only stupid question is the one not asked.

There are plenty of experienced TS sailors on this site plus even a few Noelex owners :lol:

Cheers

Jeff
"Moody Blue" Sonata 26

PostPosted: Jan 13th, '12, 01:27 
Midshipman

New member: Bruised
Fearless dinghy racer in younger days. Some ocean racing in larger keel boats. Now crewing in weekend races on a mate's trailer sailer. Looking to buy my own boat for poking around sheltered waterways and club racing. Also plotting to entice dubious spouse on board occasionally for pleasant twilight drinks etc to improve my chances of securing more weekend leave passes. I give myself about an even chance of achieving this.

Hoping to hear other people's experience and advice on boat selection, maintenance and general tips.

PostPosted: Jan 26th, '12, 17:26 
Midshipman

Hello

A web search led me to some good, informative posts about antifouling, hull repairs and electric wiring in TSP threads, so I had a look around the TSP forums and it seems like a nice place.
Reading the TSP forum categories I understand I qualify as a "dark sider" - having a 40ft fibreglass sloop with keel that I keep in the water, moving it around but mostly somewhere between Sydney and the Central Coast.
Glad to be here.
Karsten

PostPosted: Jan 26th, '12, 18:03 
Admiral

Welcome Karsten, I am an ex-darksider myself and one day will return i am hoping. :wink: In the meantime these are a great bunch of people so enjoy the forum.
What design is yours may I enquire?

Coops.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 349 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next