huntsman tyres/wheels

Share information on trailers and towing hacks issues
davem
Inshore Skipper

huntsman tyres/wheels

Post by davem » Sep 4th, '18, 16:00

Hi,

I would like to replace the tyres on my trailer and thought that I might do the wheels while I am at it to something nice and shiny.

Huntsman have tyre/wheel combos for ~$100 each - see http://www.huntsmanproducts.com.au/whee ... 14l-t.html

I have got a couple of prices from a local trailer retailer and they are asking $250 each. Even with $43 freight (for 2 off), that's still a very big difference.

Is the $250 way overpriced or are the huntsman cheap and nasty ? Can anyone vouch for huntsman quality ?

cheers

Jaime
Inshore Skipper

Re: huntsman tyres/wheels

Post by Jaime » Sep 4th, '18, 17:37

Keen to know the answer too. Except about brakes
Boomerang 20 DK #??
Currently Slainte, soon to be....

zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee » Sep 4th, '18, 18:26

I've seen nothing at Huntsman over several years of shopping there to suggest they're cheap and nasty.
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

Slammin
Able Skipper

Post by Slammin » Sep 4th, '18, 18:40

Umm good and bad experience here. Bought a brake package from them. Just new disc hubsx2 and hydraulic brakesx4. I went with the rubber brake lines. 2 out of 4 brake calipers leaked. I would've sent them back but I was in a rush and took them to a brake shop. They were as surprised as me to find out the brake piston isn't quite normal. There's a lip cut into the inner side of the piston making it very prone to damaging the o-ring on installation, also the machining was a bit rough on the sides which could damage the o-ring overtime.

Cost me $50 to machine and get new o-rings. So happy? I guess it's cheaper than what was available here and now it's sorted but still a sour flavour at the end of the day.

As for rims and tyres I suspect it'll be the same item just different price. Make sure you keep up the lanolin or Tectyl and they'll be fine. Check that the inner size ie hub centres will be correct. My parallel hubs need a large and my slimline hubs are fine with a small.
[align=center]Seaway 25 - Time After Time[/align]
[align=center]LC 80 series 97[/align]
[align=center]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seaway_25[/align]

INMA
Admiral

Post by INMA » Sep 4th, '18, 19:09

I've used Huntsman for tyres, bearings and seals.

My only issue was out of thirteen tyres, two valve stems failed where the rubber pulled through the rim.

I did not watch the tyre fitting so I don't know whether they used cheap Chinese valve stems or whether they left the old stems. Otherwise happy.
RL24 Mk4 cruiser Mariner 5 2 stroke

A bad day in the Whitsundays is better than a good day at work. Unless you work in the Whitsundays.

impulse
Able Skipper

Post by impulse » Sep 4th, '18, 19:13

The ad makes no mention of the load rating.
Cheers Robin.

Robin & Terry.
RL28 - QE3.

INMA
Admiral

Post by INMA » Sep 4th, '18, 19:38

The LT makes it suitable for most trailers in our class. From memory its 1080kg at 65 psi.

The wheels are sold to suit that tyre so they will be rated 1080kg.

Unless you are putting them on a slipper spring tandem trailer where you need to derate them 20%.

The ratings of the axles, suspension and hubs will be less than the tyre rating.

Check the studs tightening torque, they should be something like 95 ftlb torque.
RL24 Mk4 cruiser Mariner 5 2 stroke

A bad day in the Whitsundays is better than a good day at work. Unless you work in the Whitsundays.

duncanhayward
Able Skipper

Post by duncanhayward » Sep 5th, '18, 00:41

I went through this exercise last year. Cant speak to Huntsman however I was very keen to ensure the rim met the load ratings and didn't become a weak spot in the system. Spoke to local tyre fitter - he strongly recommended ROH TRAK2 14x6 steel rims. Made in Australia. Lifetime structural warranty. Load rating 950kg. He had them in stock - apparently our local emergency services, rural fire and SES, specify ROH TRAK2. https://roh.com.au/wheels/trak-2/ and https://roh.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2 ... -Flyer.pdf. From memory I think he charged me $65 or $75 a rim which I then matched to LT tyre.
Duncan
Noelex 25 #952
Quo Vadis

davem
Inshore Skipper

Post by davem » Sep 5th, '18, 16:09

Thanks all for your feedback..

If I had a large boat then would look more closely at the RoH wheels but huntsman are so convenient...

cheers

davem
Inshore Skipper

Post by davem » Sep 6th, '18, 10:30

Update - I placed an order for 2 wheels/tyres from Huntsman. On the web page it came $198 + $42.95 freight.

I called them to discuss delivery (away for work next week) and the guy on the phone gave them to me for $210 delivered !!

Tip. It might be worth phoning through future orders....

Jaime
Inshore Skipper

Post by Jaime » Sep 6th, '18, 20:27

Geez, that doesn't happen often!
Kudos to them!
Boomerang 20 DK #??
Currently Slainte, soon to be....

Return to “Trailers and Towing”