Ark Eziguide

Share information on trailers and towing hacks issues
bachus
Able Skipper

Ark Eziguide

Post by bachus » Feb 20th, '18, 17:51

This is the the one with rollers - the "ezi loader" is the flat bars . . kind of counter intuitive . . . but I digress.

http://arkcorp.com.au/p/2829/eziguide

It has been like getting blood out of a stone from Ark Corporation but I have determined that:
a) The bolt on EziGuide is no longer sold (the installation detail that can be downloaded are out of date)
b) the only option now is a clamp on option using U bolts but - and here is the gotcha - only for a 50x50 cross member.

I suspect most yachts will be 75x50 in the rear cross member??? (I know INMA's trailer is 50x50). So to get to the above link you select "SAIL" . . . hmmm . . . good product research . . . not.

. . end rant.
Jim
Castle 650 #96. Mystic.
Tow hack: Ford Territory TX SZ MkII Auto AWD

Davidjohn
Inshore Skipper

Re: Ark Eziguide

Post by Davidjohn » Feb 21st, '18, 12:19

G'day Jim,
I've just gone through the exercise of making up some of the "old" style brackets having measured and drawn up what is on MOB's trailer. (I have the rollers etc. from a previous trailer but not the brackets which are still partly welded onto the frame of said trailer.) Whilst I give myself only 75/100 for welding (and subsequent grinding), I think they're a pretty good likeness and should work OK.
Having looked at the pics of the new ezi-rollers on the Whitworths site, I wonder if you can merely use through bolts of a similar diameter to the U-bolts provided, to your frame (not sure what size and profile you have). Or will larger U-bolts fit into the slotted bracket.
If not, can you bolt the supplied bracket to a larger adaptor plate which will allow you to use a larger U-bolt?
My trailer has 125x50mm C purlin profile for the rear cross member so even the new style bracket looks like it would bolt straight on.
Hopefully food for thought.
Regards and good luck.
Davidjohn
"Not so much a poster of any great volume; but hopefully one of value to somebody!"
Hartley TS18 "Hobbit"

zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee » Feb 21st, '18, 13:10

DavidJohn, I expect there will be a batch of galvanising in Melbourne in the not too distant future if you're making trailer components you'd like done.
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

bachus
Able Skipper

Post by bachus » Feb 22nd, '18, 21:40

Davidjohn wrote:G'day Jim,
I've just gone through the exercise of making up some of the "old" style brackets having measured and drawn up what is on MOB's trailer. (I have the rollers etc. from a previous trailer but not the brackets which are still partly welded onto the frame of said trailer.) Whilst I give myself only 75/100 for welding (and subsequent grinding), I think they're a pretty good likeness and should work OK.
Having looked at the pics of the new ezi-rollers on the Whitworths site, I wonder if you can merely use through bolts of a similar diameter to the U-bolts provided, to your frame (not sure what size and profile you have). Or will larger U-bolts fit into the slotted bracket.
If not, can you bolt the supplied bracket to a larger adaptor plate which will allow you to use a larger U-bolt?
My trailer has 125x50mm C purlin profile for the rear cross member so even the new style bracket looks like it would bolt straight on.
Hopefully food for thought.
Regards and good luck.
Yes I can drill and have half the U bolt go through the 75x50 cross member but as I am making new "bolt on" cross members to replace the last three on the current trailer I will customise the last (rear most) 75x50 cross member with a 50x50 outrigger to hold the EziGuide. ps hence the galvanising hint by Zeb.
Jim
Castle 650 #96. Mystic.

bachus
Able Skipper

Post by bachus » Apr 5th, '18, 17:01

All is not lost.

I have bought an Ark eziguide and note the fitting restrictions as told by Ark support person is not entirely true.

Yes the eziguide is provided with ubolts to suit a 50x50mm cross member. The eziguide itself on the other hand appears to suit a frame up to 110mm vertical x 50mm deep (first photo showing adjustment and or spacing range) i.e. you will just need to buy the appropriate ubolts. The higher the vertical dimension of the frame the less adjustment range in height with respect to the roller you will have though.

So my concerns about fitting to a 75mm vertical height and thinking I will have to drill holes to work with 50mm mounting appear groundless - I just need to buy the 75mm wide u bolts. I will probably drill the current 75mm frame though to suit the supplied ubolts - it is to be replaced in any case. I will then get to see how much steel is left.

ps another key dimension that was never forthcoming from Ark is that the eziguide rollers are offset from the frame by 100mm i.e. the distance from the frame to the nearest roller edge.

Some photos are attached that might explain all the above.

Jim
Castle 650 #96. Mystic.

bachus
Able Skipper

Post by bachus » Apr 5th, '18, 19:08

Addendum to this post. Apparently these EziGuides are often stolen . . . too easy to remove. So I might have to make things difficult in this respect so that at least an angle grinder is required and not just a 19mm socket.
Jim
Castle 650 #96. Mystic.

Wanton
Yachtmaster

Post by Wanton » Apr 6th, '18, 05:25

bachus wrote:Addendum to this post. Apparently these EziGuides are often stolen . . . too easy to remove. So I might have to make things difficult in this respect so that at least an angle grinder is required and not just a 19mm socket.
A spot weld on the nuts and bolts attaching hardware is a good way to secure items on you trailer. Just be certain the hardware is located where it will work and do a spot weld. Not many crooks carry battery operated grinders.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Ed
Wanton C22/110
All I wanna do is sail
http://www.baysidetrailableyachtclub.com
Photo shows Wanton at Nara Inlet, Whitsundays, Qld.

INMA
Admiral

Post by INMA » Apr 6th, '18, 14:30

Ed, most trailer and boat crooksnuse a 4 inch battery angle grinder because it works so well wher removing outboards. They often just cut the glass. Same with big winches on yacht decks.
RL24 Mk4 cruiser Mariner 5 2 stroke

A bad day in the Whitsundays is better than a good day at work. Unless you work in the Whitsundays.

bachus
Able Skipper

Post by bachus » Sep 23rd, '18, 20:24

An update on the Ezi Loader. Noting that I bought a model 13 based on the advised boat dimensions. The 13 relates to the spring size used btw. ie 13mm diameter in the coils. But more later.

Well today was a good day to get the boat off the trailer and experiment - no people or boats around St Kilda Marina due to the overcast and windy weather . . peeeeerfect . . had the ramp to myself with no fishos breathing down my neck.

Launched the Castle - with some difficulty as rollers were stiff. Zeb style barge boards made mooring easy with no need to worry about fenders. Got the trailer to the carpark and started some maintenance. Swapped some of the cracking inner rollers to the outside and the outside to the inside. The Castle trailer has sets of three 6inch x 60mm rollers side by side. The Castle never sits on the outer rollers so pretty safe pending new ones to be installed.
Lubricated all the rollers at the same time. Replaced one odd man out roller with what I thought would be a good fit (not as it turned out later).

Then to the Ezi loader. Fitted pretty easily. Due to the width of the rear most roller (12 inch centre roller and 4 inch outers) the loader bars were quite far apart but that did not worry me as I more wanted the beastie to capture the bow and then provide guidance as the main hull passed it.

So went to retrieve the boat. Went well. Easy to slot the bow into the slot and little chance of drifting off the main roller due to the ezi guides. (good old electric winch with remote - purred like a kitten nd did not even get warm - I did lub it though).

Went well until I drove the boat and trailer out of the water and stopped to check if the hull was centred on the rear roller. Well it was but the Ezi loader arms had not collapsed and the hull was perched on the top rollers of the Ezi loader arms and the keel was some inches off the keel rollers - yikes! Too much point load on the hull with the hull supported by the Ezi loader arms. Back into the drink asap.

I tried to rotate the Ezi loader mounts so that the arms would lie flatter but still little difference - the keel still airborne just not as much.

So a bust.

I suspect (to be proven) that the springs were too strong - that the Castle weight was not enough to collapse the arms.

Moral is that do NOT buy this based on hull length. I suspect I should have got the bottom load - size 10, not the 11 and definitely not the 13.

I will buy a set of springs for the size 10 but only of the following test works. ie Even if the arms collapse I fear that there will still be point loading on the hull - I cannot see any way to get the arms located so that the hull is supported along the full length of the arms when the arms are collapsed. So I will remove the springs - refit (with the boat on the trailer) and see if the arms will ever get into the correct position.

On the plus side - the lubricated rollers sure had the old lady shooting off the trailer.
Jim
Castle 650 #96. Mystic.

Furstin
Yachtmaster

Post by Furstin » Sep 24th, '18, 07:29

Had these on the princess trailer and benefit was only initial line up. The PO had fitted wire to the top of the loaders run through a turn and forward to a threaded rod and handle to pull them off the hull once loaded. They ended up staying pulled down.
Great for tinnies.

Sent from my SM-J810Y using Tapatalk
Borrman 38.

colect149
Yachtmaster

Post by colect149 » Sep 24th, '18, 08:52

I had them on the Cole 23 trailer. My take on them was apart from initial line up, they were not much use on a hull with a flat bottom. I always tied them down on a trip so they did not rub on the hull.
Farr 5000 Tow hack Kia Sportage 2l FWD, Avan Camper, 1967 MGB roadster, 1932 Austin 7 Sports.

bachus
Able Skipper

Post by bachus » Sep 24th, '18, 19:49

The tie down is a good option but I need light springs first. Thanks guys.
Jim
Castle 650 #96. Mystic.

Return to “Trailers and Towing”