Electric drum brakes

Share information on trailers and towing hacks issues
Harb
Inshore Skipper

Re: Electric drum brakes

Post by Harb » Apr 15th, '18, 17:57

nautek1 wrote:Who has got electric drum brakes on their boat trailer?
How do you find them?s
I used my old ALKO caravan drum brakes on the boat trailer after I bought new ones for the caravan and found the old ones where still good.
They were 20 years old and rusted so I sprayed them with penetrol then after that dried coated everything with marine grease. Didn't think they would last more then a few months on the boat trailer because the tyres go completely under water to float the boat at my local ramp. Also with drums can't use the garden hose to wash out the salt and water at local ramp is not only saltier then sea water but also acidic. I was surprised to see that 2 years on everything inside was still there and didn't turn to rust. Had to spray some more Penetrol and smear some marine grease but otherwise still good so I'll look again in another 2 years. But I only use the trailer about a dozen times a year so maybe different if I was to dunk it every weekend.

I find them to be a PITA when reversing down the ramp as they lock up the wheels worse then mechanical brakes when holding the foot on the brake for a while so I put a switch on the brake controller to turn them off when reversing. Other then that they do the job but If I had to buy them I'd go for stainless electric disks or mechanical disks which can be flushed after each use instead of only when you do the bearings. If you already have a spare set of old drums in the shed then go for it, just remember to keep the rust at bay.

colect149
Yachtmaster

Post by colect149 » Jun 11th, '18, 10:09

Slightly off topic, but to those considering upgrading their trailer brakes to Electric over Hydraulic discs, one of the drawbacks has been the Tow Hack. It has to be set up with a Controller and the best of them (eg Redark Elite) are expensive to buy and install, the worst of which it is money down the drain at Tow Hack changeover time. Now there is a trailer mounted Controller that works with Bluetooth and the Smart Phone. Better still, if you don't have a Tow Hack but can borrow one to move the boat from storage, it does not need a controller.
Farr 5000 (Frodo).Tow hack Kia Sportage 2l FWD, Avan Camper, 1967 MGB roadster, 1932 Austin 7 Sports.

zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee » Jan 13th, '19, 01:10

What you should know about trailer brakes!
(NOT guaranteed to be up to date 21st century practice in Australia!)

A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

colect149
Yachtmaster

Post by colect149 » Jan 13th, '19, 08:51

good article, but I think things have moved on since the Fifties. I only inspected my electric brakes once and that was about nine years ago. My memory is there was was only an electro magnet attached to the leading shoe and almost touched the brake drum, when voltage was applied the elctro magnet moved the leading brake shoe and the trailing shoe moved the same as in a normal system. the more voltage applied the stronger the attraction of the eletro magnet to the drum so applying more braking force.Very simple but not the best system for a boat trailer as it is almost impossible to rinse the the salt away from inside the drums.
Farr 5000 (Frodo).Tow hack Kia Sportage 2l FWD, Avan Camper, 1967 MGB roadster, 1932 Austin 7 Sports.

Return to “Trailers and Towing”