It is currently Apr 27th, '18, 12:12

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Brake upgrade
PostPosted: Sep 4th, '17, 16:36 
Yachtmaster

Have thanks: 319 times
I have bitten the bullet and ordered an upgrade of my old Farr trailer. We weighed the rig "off car"
at Somerton five years ago when we bought it home. Amongst other stuff on board was a 20KG awning, our sleeping gear, clothes, food and ice. I think there was some water in the bladder. Outboard was in the car. The ticket showed 2100KG. So the potential for a bad outcome was ever present in my mind. It's trip to Paynesville in October or November will likely be it's last in my ownership. We often see boats and trailers have work done and be heavily overcapitalised only to be put up for sale shortly after. And I for one think why? Well here am I doing exactly that. New Springs, four wheel electric over hydraulic discs, break away. Not much change out of five grand on an old trailer. Perhaps I am getting too conservative in my old age. But with Mr Plod getting more vigilant, society getting more litigious, and insurance companies looking for loopholes I think it is time.
But how times (and me) have changed, I towed the caravan pictured to Eildon and back about five times and once to Paynesville in the 70s /80s with Falcon wagons. Because the van had air brakes and the company cars were not set up, all those trips were made without brakes on the van.

Attachments:
Viscount.jpg
Viscount.jpg [ 49.2 KiB | Viewed 386 times ]