Replacing Noelex25 worm drive keel winch with electric winch

Discussion on how to make that Trailer Sailer go faster & more comfortable
zebedee
Admiral

Replacing Noelex25 worm drive keel winch with electric winch

Post by zebedee » May 17th, '18, 00:09

I think I may have already made oblique references to this little project, but we're making good progress now on fitting an electric keel winch to Adrian (brother of Ray) on the bay's Noelex 25.

Basically, we've made a simple stainless steel bracket to support a small electric winch above where the manual winch usually sits. The winch axis is fore-aft with the motor forward, there's an upper limit switch in the bracket, and by releasing the clutch on the electric winch, it can be lifted out and replaced with the manual winch about as fast as you can change over the line. There's an inspection hatch and a simple to remove pin, so about 2 minutes!

We'll be fitting switches both in the cockpit and next to the keel case in the cabin. The wiring arrangement means that if an UP button is pressed at the same time as a DOWN button, the winch simply doesn't move; no smoke escapes or anything ugly!

The plan is to build a timber box to cover the winch once it is up and running.

I'll take some photos next time I'm at the boat with the bits; I'm wondering if anyone else is interested in fitting an electric keel winch to their Noelex? What level of skills do you have; would drawings and photos be sufficient, would you want a bracket made up, perhaps bracket, winch, limit switch assembled ready for you drop in and wire yourself? Or the whole shebang?

The same design approach should also work for other boats which use the same worm drive winch.
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

MargGannet
Yachtmaster

Re: Replacing Noelex25 worm drive keel winch with electric w

Post by MargGannet » May 17th, '18, 10:56

Interested in photos, diagrams, dimensions, etc Zeb. options you describe sound good. Do you want some advertising? I'm sure Adrian will pass the word around anyway. :-)
Marg
Special Edition NX 25,
LC 80 series
Bayswater North, Vic

pdandy
Yachtmaster

Post by pdandy » May 17th, '18, 23:08

Shebang...although I'd prefer her not to go bang...
noelex 25 green velvet

zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee » Jun 18th, '18, 22:44

These photos were taken about a month ago; we've been waiting for parts (and for Adrian to return to Melbourne), so we haven't made any further progress.

The winch drum needs to be rewound the opposite direction so that the lift line departs the drum downwards on the side of the drum closest to the mounting bracket. More to the point, the winch needs to come back to me for hauling my dinghy onto the roof of my ute and the similar winch which will actually be fitted needs to be wound the opposite direction!

Click on the photos to see high resolution (large) versions.

Overall view of the cabin and keel case of a Noelex 25.
The Noelex keel has an extended forward edge which is visible through the tall narrow window between the top of the keel case and the cabin ceiling. The main body of the keel is barely within the hull when fully down.

The chamber which the standard manual worm drive winch sits inside. The top of the keel is visible under the surface which supports the winch. The black painted U shaped steel strap fitting forward of the winch chamber prevents the keel case from spreading when the keel is subjected to side loadings such as close hauled.

The bracket, with an industrial limit switch fitted.

Another view of the bracket and limit switch. Next time, we'll use flat bar rather than angle for the part of the bracket that the limit switch is bolted to. The limit switch clears the aperture at the bottom of the winch chamber and touches the keel when it is fully up.

The bracket without winch sitting in the winch chamber.

Four views of the my winch bolted to the bracket. Note the rope comes off the drum the wrong direction at the moment:

The winch has now been reversed; the motor is pointing aft rather than forwards so the rope comes off the drum on the required side to check the alignment of the winch line:

The plate is 150mm x 6mm 304 stainless flat bar. The winch chamber is only 147mm long, so it is trimmed slightly at the front bottom corner. The angle is (from memory!) 50mm x 50mm x 3mm 304 angle, trimmed where needed for clearance.

As Adrian has bought ANOTHER Noelex, it seems we'll being doing v2.0 soon, so I'll draw that version up when we've got it nailed down.

Wiring will be straightforward with SPDT centre off switches in the cockpit and in the cabin driving the reversing solenoid between the winch motor and the battery(ies). If the switches conflict (one up, one down) the winch does not move. Adrians first Noelex has the batteries under the V berth, keeping cabling short. If we leave the battery in the usual place on his second Noelex, there is space in the centre of the bilge under the false floor to run cables back to the battery.
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

Return to “Performance & Modifications”