It is currently Nov 21st, '17, 00:50

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sep 14th, '17, 22:38 
Midshipman

Have thanks: 0 time
I am intending to buy a Raymarine ST1000 tiller pilot.
My concern is that the tiller pilot is affected by the outboard's magnetic field and won't work properly.
Has anyone experiences with tiller pilots close to outboards? (in the Noelex, the outboard sits in a well, aprox 1 ft below the helm and required tiller pilot position)
Any recommendations/advice welcome.
thanks

PostPosted: Sep 14th, '17, 22:43 
Yachtmaster

Have thanks: 486 times
I haven't noticed any issues with the st 1000 on mine. Mounted on stbrd side behind the cockpit locker - technically that's too close to the pintles but it manages fine.

Make sure you include a madman marine remote - there's something special bout being able to sit up the front and tack via remote control.

For this message the author pdandy has received thanks: Dutchy (Sep 14th, '17, 22:55)
  Rating: 5%

PostPosted: Sep 14th, '17, 22:59 
Midshipman

yes, the aft lockers are just in the way for mounting on the seat in the ideal position. I was thinking of installing the pilot using the cantilever bracket and screw this to the 'backrest'. good to hear that you have no issues.

PostPosted: Sep 15th, '17, 00:41 
Admiral

Have thanks: 905 times
I haven't had any problem with the outboard, but on one outing with the tillerpilot, motoring up the Maribyrnong River, it went haywire going under several of the bridges. It was only on the way back downstream that I realised only the bridges with electric train lines or trams affected it; the large DC current through the overhead wires produces a strong magnetic field which the flux gate compass detects!

So be careful underneath bridges with electric trains...

A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

For this message the author zebedee has received thanks: Dutchy (Sep 15th, '17, 22:49)

PostPosted: Sep 15th, '17, 09:09 
Inshore Skipper

Have thanks: 32 times
When I first tried a tillerpilot on an RL24 it would not work until I used a piece of plastic conduit to extend it and drilled a hole in the coming to mount it away from the motor in the well. Then it worked perfectly. When I got the Noelex, it worked perfectly by installing it just to the rear of the cockpit hatch so the lid can still be opened.
I use it all the time when I'm on my own and most of the rest of the time. Couldn't manage without it!
I also have the Madman remote.

Ian
Noelex 25 Creme Caramel

For this message the author Noelexian has received thanks: Dutchy (Sep 15th, '17, 22:51)

PostPosted: Sep 15th, '17, 17:12 
Able Skipper

Have thanks: 112 times
Hi All,

I have similar set up to Noelexian and have no problems, except once I busted the power supply electronics.

That happens as too much force was requited on the ruder stock to keep the set course.

It led me to modify the ruder by drilling new hole to reset the ruder blade as recommended in Noelex magazine.

After the repair I have no problems with my tiller pilot.

I also have a clutch between tiller pilot and ruder stock, so I can have disengage and engage position without taking pilot from the ruder stock.

But I don’t use it very often as I have always spare human hands available to do the steering and it is also

remotely control by voice as well and does not need to be plug in, only need to be fed three times a day and sometime ice cream in hot weather. It is my loyal wife.

Regards Frank

For this message the author Frank Peters has received thanks: Dutchy (Sep 15th, '17, 22:54)

PostPosted: Sep 15th, '17, 23:02 
Midshipman

Thanks all. I feel a bit more confident installing one. One last question, how precisely do you have to install the pilot. The manual says that it has to be installed at a specific distance from the rudder. In the Noelex case, this is an awkward spot right on the edge of the aft locker. Reading the comments, people don't seem to take the critical distances too seriously. I guess it is only critical if you really have to rely on the tiller pilot internal compass. My plan is to adjust the tiller pilot until I am heading in the right magnetic compass course. Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Sep 15th, '17, 23:28 
Admiral

Have thanks: 905 times
If the tillerpilot is too close to the rudder pivot axis then the loads are higher and the response is faster. It may tend to weave, particularly going downwind.
One approach to get around obstructions is to mount the pin on the tiller off to one side, but still the correct distance from the rudder pivot axis, and rotate the mounting socket for the tillerpilot around the rudder pivot axis by the same offset angle so it is further out and back (or inwards and forward).
If this doesn't make sense to you, imagine you've got a second tiller mounted at 90degrees to the normal tiller, parallel to the transom when the rudder is pointed straight ahead. You could now mount the tiller pilot to push/pull the end of this second tiller by fitting it parallel to the longitudinal axis of the hull. The tiller pilot doesn't know what direction the boat is going, it only knows whether it is oriented left or right of the set direction!

A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

For this message the author zebedee has received thanks: Dutchy (Sep 16th, '17, 00:09)

PostPosted: Sep 15th, '17, 23:31 
Yachtmaster

Have thanks: 486 times
Zeb, I found on my nx that Possition fore / aft isn't critical , but I adjusted gain / sensitivity to compensate for it being closer to the pintles. Besides, it seems to figure out the sea state pretty quickly and tracks down wind better than me!

Try to leave enough room to still be able to open the locker. ( like Ian did) - I stuffed up and have to disconnect the autotiller to get to my jerry can :oops:

For this message the author pdandy has received thanks: Dutchy (Sep 16th, '17, 00:10)

PostPosted: Oct 7th, '17, 21:02 
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Have thanks: 18 times
The tiller pilot on my Cole 23 is close to the Outboard and I have not detected any problems, however I don't have any battery charging arrangements on my motor. Using a tiller pilot when sailing I find you will get the best out of them if you have the sail balance right on any point of sailing, if you set the boat up so it is well balanced with minimal helm the tiller pilot doesn't have to work hard and will do a great job.

PostPosted: Oct 8th, '17, 17:38 
Inshore Skipper

Have thanks: 32 times
Dutchy - see the pm I sent you.

Ian