It is currently Jul 20th, '18, 14:25

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tow behind toys
PostPosted: Jan 12th, '18, 15:00 
Yachtmaster

Have thanks: 578 times
Has anyone tried towing a wake board whilst sailing?

I'm wondering about getting an inflatable wakeboard like thing , eg https://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/T7 ... ake-surfer as a more compact alternative to the inflatable sup's we currently tow, but I'm not sure how viable the shorter boards would be for towing whilst sailing? Would a rigid wake board be a better option?

I find we can tow the isup in 10-15 knt winds and get enough speed to keep the kids entertained for about 3/4 laps of lake king, but they eventually start looking for more challenge - eg wanting to ride / jump the wakes of other boats etc. I think it'd be safer for them to do the traditional holding a ski rope thing if they want to start jumping - at the moment we attach the tow line directly to the isup. Whilst we could possibly run a conventional ski rope with the isup, I'd be concerned it'd blow away too easilly after a fall?

Any other advice ? ( other than buying a stink boat)

Post subject: Re: Tow behind toys
PostPosted: Jan 12th, '18, 15:20 
Yachtmaster

Have thanks: 272 times
You left yourself open for option B, buy a Mac...

Bilge Rat Soc (dog)Where's my feed bowl
Stowaways-Sarah & Kate
Warneet Motor Yacht Club-Ultimate Association-SICYC

PostPosted: Jan 12th, '18, 15:46 
Yachtmaster

Bligh wrote:
You left yourself open for option B, buy a Mac...

That comes under the clause "towing whilst sailing" or " other than buying a stink boat" :roll:

PostPosted: Jan 12th, '18, 17:49 
Admiral

Have thanks: 585 times
With the Magnum, we just tossed the little ones in with their lifejacket and dragged them behind under motor.

I use the rubber body boards for fenders. We also use them when swimming. My guess is motoring with a light person on a body board would be entertaining. I believe every accessory on a yacht should have at least two uses.

From my youth when we skied, there was not much entertainment unless the boat had power, our ski boat was 17 foot, 650kg and had a mid mount 350 Chev (250 hp). I never understood skiers behind a Mac, it looked like hard work.

A bad day in the Whitsundays is better than a good day at work. Unless you work in the Whitsundays.

PostPosted: Jan 12th, '18, 18:22 
Admiral

Have thanks: 1024 times
pdandy wrote:
Whilst we could possibly run a conventional ski rope with the isup, I'd be concerned it'd blow away too easilly after a fall?

A line from the ski handle to the isup? (Is an isup like a waterproof ipod or something?)

A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

PostPosted: Jan 12th, '18, 19:02 
Yachtmaster

Have thanks: 271 times
pdandy wrote:
Has anyone tried towing a wake board whilst sailing?

I'm wondering about getting an inflatable wakeboard like thing , eg https://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/T7 ... ake-surfer as a more compact alternative to the inflatable sup's we currently tow, but I'm not sure how viable the shorter boards would be for towing whilst sailing? Would a rigid wake board be a better option?

I find we can tow the isup in 10-15 knt winds and get enough speed to keep the kids entertained for about 3/4 laps of lake king, but they eventually start looking for more challenge - eg wanting to ride / jump the wakes of other boats etc. I think it'd be safer for them to do the traditional holding a ski rope thing if they want to start jumping - at the moment we attach the tow line directly to the isup. Whilst we could possibly run a conventional ski rope with the isup, I'd be concerned it'd blow away too easilly after a fall?

Any other advice ? ( other than buying a stink boat)

Yes I used to let my grandchildren off the boat with the life ring around them. But then I sail a fast Careel 22. :lol: :lol:

http://www.baysidetrailableyachtclub.com
Photo shows Wanton at Nara Inlet, Whitsundays, Qld.

PostPosted: Jan 12th, '18, 19:40 
Yachtmaster

zebedee wrote:
pdandy wrote:
Whilst we could possibly run a conventional ski rope with the isup, I'd be concerned it'd blow away too easilly after a fall?

A line from the ski handle to the isup? (Is an isup like a waterproof ipod or something?)

Pretty close - it's a waterproof kid entertainer, otherwise known as an inflatable stand up paddle board :roll: Think big surfboard blow up thing for adults, that doubles as a way to get the kids off the boat whilst I'm sailing. With 1 kid on the isup , the nx slows down to farr 7500 speed, if you drag 2 kids it slows down to careel 22 speed. ( hi ed) I guess you could call it a sea anchor that giggles?

Sure, I can drag them around under motor in mac mode, but it's more fun ( and faster) to drag them around whilst sailing. As an added bonus, when they fall off I get to practice the kid overboard technique. This may have been a bit confusing over new years eve when a farr 7500 sailed over to say " g'day " to the noelex - just as sprog 2 decided to go from standing up to swimming......for a moment I was worried he had't seen the litte kid floating where he was going to cross my transom :shock:

Back when they were 2/3 yo I would drag them behind the boat in either the lifering or just ofd, but the 11 yo wants to do tricks now, and the 12 yo wants to start flying.

PostPosted: Jan 12th, '18, 20:23 
Yachtmaster

Have thanks: 140 times
Time they had their own boat like a Sabre or something.

Nacra 14sq 'Vamoose'

PostPosted: Jan 12th, '18, 20:35 
Yachtmaster

Castle 610 wrote:
Time they had their own boat like a Sabre or something.

Then who would sail the nx when I want a rest?

PostPosted: Jan 12th, '18, 22:22 
Able Skipper

Have thanks: 92 times
Not quite a tow behind tow - but at 13kg look like it could be useful!

airkayaksdirect.com.au

Noelex 25 #952
Quo Vadis

PostPosted: Jan 12th, '18, 22:36 
Yachtmaster

Here I am trying yo go more compact...

I started with a huge blow up multisport imitation thing - tow behing thing almost as big as that, it also had a sail so could be an inflatable dinghy etc - but it was huge and cumbersone.

Then I bought the isup - it stores under the nx v berth, entertains the kds when we park at beaches, and tows reasonably behind the nx.

I was thinking that inflatable wakeboard might be even more compact, possibly more entertaining when behind the boat, and still fun at a beach? But that big platform has reminded me of how much the kids enjoy using the isup as a platform at beaches - 4/5 kids clambering and jumping off it for hours.....I might just stick with the isup.

PostPosted: Jan 13th, '18, 19:17 
Inshore Skipper

Have thanks: 36 times
What about one of these???
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... 44078.html

PostPosted: Jan 14th, '18, 03:06 
Admiral

Have thanks: 1024 times
Never mind towing it, is that an affordable source of reasonably firm foam for bunks?

A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

PostPosted: Jan 15th, '18, 11:06 
Yachtmaster

Have thanks: 263 times
We finally got a inflatable SUP for Chrissy - great thing, and cheap at $270. (Ebay presale). Dad also bought one from anaconda $400 for quite a good unit.

I like the compact option of this, but as for actual wakeboard function I don't see it, its basically an inflatable boogie board / kneeboard, so start them off with a boogie board?

PostPosted: Jan 15th, '18, 11:52 
Yachtmaster

Thanks furstin, I think you're right. I suspect I was looking at the "147" label as litres rather than length :oops:

Our go to isup is the jp australia surf isup - about 170 litres, it's shorter but wider and not as thick as the cheaper aqua marina we have. So it's big enough for 95 kg stand up paddling, yet agile enough to still be fun on smaller waves ( the big aquamarina is more like a flating balloon when trying to catch a wave / wake) . I might try experimenting with a traditional ski rope rather than directly towing the board, and perhaps use an ankle surfing chord so the board doesn't get lost when the kids fall off?

I suspect that something around 140 litres that is thin / wide and reasonably rigid would be ideal behind the boat, but I'm not in a hurry to spend the mega $ that the high quality isups cost , so I'll keep experimenting.

PostPosted: Jan 15th, '18, 16:14 
Yachtmaster

Have thanks: 263 times
At 6knots, it's a hard call, as too small and it will be hard to hold on, so sup might be the only option.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Jan 17th, '18, 20:01 
Yachtmaster

Well, we spent some time motoring around towing the isup today - this time using a traditional ski rope rather than towing the isup directly from the boat - MUCH better!

Down wind, the kids could pull themselves a bit faster to catch / surf waves - I might need to experiment a bit with tow rope lengths to see if I can get them surfing whilst the nx surfs under sail...what could possibly go wrong????