From the beginning

This is for any general chat and information. Posts on specific topics covered in other forums will be moved to keep all forums active and relevant. No political posts will be tolerated, and if you have had your fill of TSP then a political post is an easy way out the door"
Allambie
Midshipman

From the beginning

Post by Allambie » Oct 8th, '18, 15:32

Since buying the Court 650 I havn't been able to spend as much time on it as i wanted. So perhaps a change in plan to just get on the water and fix things as i go along and have time. I have managed to get the mast up and hoist mainsail and furling genoa and seem to have figured out where most things go.

I notice in the Gummy paper there is an advert from an experienced sailor available to newbys to check the boat out and provide advice and a bit of tuition if need be. Unfortunately that is near Sydney, and I'm not.

Are there any such people in WA doing the same, or perhaps an experienced TSP'er that might consider doing a similar thing?

Im' not completely new to boating having lived in the Kimberley and had power boats, travelling from Derby as far as Cockatoo and Koolan Island on fishing trips. (not bad in a 16ft open boat with a swag on deck or on shore for upto a week at a time)

Cheers, Kevin

Juls
Midshipman

Re: From the beginning

Post by Juls » Oct 11th, '18, 17:31

reebok
Midshipman

Post by reebok » Oct 12th, '18, 07:13

I did this course in the last 12 months, and it was a good refresher, and a way to get an idea of what is involved to do TS in a safe and pleasurable way.
The instructor is personable, knowledgeable, and eager to help attendees to gain real experience in a manner that means they are not a hazard to others or themselves.
I highly recommend this course as an introduction and a base for further learning.

Allambie
Midshipman

Post by Allambie » Oct 12th, '18, 09:55

Thanks Juls, Reebok. Something like that would be beneficial. I cant seem to find anything similar in WA and Vic is just a little far away. Plenty of courses on larger keelers though.

This forum has been a great resource in figuring out how the previous owner set up the boat and how the rigging goes together.

reebok
Midshipman

Post by reebok » Oct 12th, '18, 17:53

I have no problem in passing on some of the syllabus (they publish it online). sing out if you want this and I will scan it and send in a PM. Don't want to give away their hard earned stuff though, that would be unfair to the course instructor.
but the outlines would give you a base to flesh out on your own.

Harb
Inshore Skipper

Post by Harb » Oct 12th, '18, 23:10

Allambie
Midshipman

Post by Allambie » Oct 13th, '18, 11:56

Thanks guys. I checked the syllabus on line so thanks Reebok. The book looks good Harb, so have tracked it down on Fleabay and ordered a hard copy. Thanks.

I noticed the base of my mast has a couple of rivets broken, and one torn out that needs fixing. It has damaged the mast at the base. I would only need to trim 15mm or so off the bottom however the halyard blocks at the bottom are too close so might have to cut about 100mm off to move those as well. That would mean re-doing the rigging.

I am thinking that instead of this, I make a new 75-90mm tube stainless "spacer" (for want of a better word) as the base of the mast that bolts onto the cabin and the mast foot plate bolts on the top. If I make it 250mm or 300mm high, I trim that amount off the mast and retain original height. This should also solve the problem of having to have a long prop at the pushpit to hold the mast prior to raising as the mast on its new spacer would clear the pop top with only a short prop mounted on the pushpit.

Has anyone done this? I'd be interested on peoples thoughts and if they think that would be practical.

Cheers, Kev

INMA
Admiral

Post by INMA » Oct 13th, '18, 12:11

Shortening the mast is a significant modification.

I assume there are cracks where the rivets are damaged.

If the halyard turning blocks are close to the base, cutting extra off is not good.

Consider getting the mast base welded as a repair. Perhaps add a reinforcement plate.

Use monel rivets when reassembling the base. It might go together more easily moving the rivets.

Use duralac in the assembly and in the rivet holes.

You need a heavy duty riveter to do monel rivets.
RL24 Mk4 cruiser Mariner 5 2 stroke

A bad day in the Whitsundays is better than a good day at work. Unless you work in the Whitsundays.

Allambie
Midshipman

Post by Allambie » Oct 13th, '18, 12:25

INMA wrote:
Oct 13th, '18, 12:11
Shortening the mast is a significant modification.
You'd be surprised what a farmer could do with a grinder. :lol:

One of the rivets has torn a small V shape wedge from the mast material as it was very close to the end. If i modify as described, the mast will finish up the exact same length as before. The only difference i can think of will be the turning blocks will now be 250-300mm or so off the deck instead of 25mm.

Tezza
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by Tezza » Oct 13th, '18, 12:51

What are the rivets holding
Sonata 6 Mango

Allambie
Midshipman

Post by Allambie » Oct 13th, '18, 13:03

They are holding the baseplate in the bottom of the mast. The one that has the pivot in to be able to drop the mast.

bachus
Yachtmaster

Post by bachus » Oct 13th, '18, 13:58

Is the mast base surrounding the outer side of the mast or inside the mast?
Jim
Castle 650 #96. Mystic.
Tow hack: Ford Territory TX SZ MkII Auto AWD

Davidjohn
Inshore Skipper

Post by Davidjohn » Oct 13th, '18, 14:03

Is the foot of the mast only damaged at the rivet points? if so can you get away with removing the base plate, cleaning the whole lot up and re-fixing the base plate to the existing mast footn by riveting it at new points. Remember to coat the whole lot in Duralac before assembly.
Davidjohn
"Not so much a poster of any great volume; but hopefully one of value to somebody!"
Hartley TS18 "Hobbit"

Allambie
Midshipman

Post by Allambie » Oct 13th, '18, 14:54

The fitting goes inside the mast. So the flat head of the rivets are against the Ali mast. Under normal use I don't think there is any tension on anything there so guessing someone had a mishap raising and letting it swing off centre. I will have to have another look but just received drilling and new rivets in different location may be ok.

Adding the spacer, shortening the mast and doing away with the long rear prop still may be worthwhile at a later date. Does anyone have an opinion on that project?

Harb
Inshore Skipper

Post by Harb » Oct 13th, '18, 14:56

Allambie wrote:
Oct 13th, '18, 11:56

I am thinking that instead of this, I make a new 75-90mm tube stainless "spacer" (for want of a better word) as the base of the mast that bolts onto the cabin and the mast foot plate bolts on the top. If I make it 250mm or 300mm high, I trim that amount off the mast and retain original height. This should also solve the problem of having to have a long prop at the pushpit to hold the mast prior to raising as the mast on its new spacer would clear the pop top with only a short prop mounted on the pushpit.

Has anyone done this? I'd be interested on peoples thoughts and if they think that would be practical.
The bottom of my mast was like that and one of the previous owners sleeved it using aluminum. I removed it so I could re-rivet it with Monel & Duralac and gave it a polish. Also made a folding mast step to give me the right angle and some extra height to clear the hatch and used 8mm SS plate for the top and 10mm for bottom. Maybe a bit of an overkill but the idea behind it was to have the mast support itself while removing or fitting the stays, to keep it lined up while lifting it from the cockpit and to be able to lower the mast either towards the stern or the bow. Turned out that it was too much mucking around using a pulley system to lift a mast that it and is only about the same size but 2ft shorter then a Hobie 14. :lol:

Next mast is a work in progress using a Hobie 14 mast and rotating Wave foot and ball.

bachus
Yachtmaster

Post by bachus » Oct 13th, '18, 16:13

Ah thank for the detail. I asked 'cos my Castle mast sits inside the mast base so once standing the mast is not going anywhere. On my Castle the mast base is held in position when not rigged by three bolts - through the base plate into the mast (aluminium). After some 20 years the bolt tenacity into the mast is dubious but I am not concerned when rigged - only when transporting (bolts fall out and I lose the base plate) so I zip tie the base to the mast when transporting.
Jim
Castle 650 #96. Mystic.
Tow hack: Ford Territory TX SZ MkII Auto AWD

Return to “General”