Repainting non skid areas

This is for any general chat and information. Posts on specific topics covered in other forums will be moved to keep all forums active and relevant. No political posts will be tolerated, and if you have had your fill of TSP then a political post is an easy way out the door"
Tezza
Able Skipper

Repainting non skid areas

Post by Tezza » Jan 11th, '19, 21:29

I am planning to re paint the non skid areas white but am unsure what paint to use.
The ‘non skid’ looks to be moulded in so I don’t need anything like kiwigrip.
I was thinking Norglass Marine Deck or similar. What do you recommend.
CA27EFFD-4E8F-43C2-8B1F-AFE92D546101.jpeg
CA27EFFD-4E8F-43C2-8B1F-AFE92D546101.jpeg (17.67 KiB) Viewed 144 times
Sonata 6 Mango

rseydler
Able Skipper

Re: Repainting non skid areas

Post by rseydler » Jan 11th, '19, 23:33

Personally I've never had luck with a long term solution using single pack paints. The paint always seems to wear off quickly on non skid. Maybe something 2pac?

Ukuri
Able Skipper

Post by Ukuri » Jan 12th, '19, 10:06

Give the Norglass Tech Rep a call.
From experience they were most patient and helpful, especially since I was only ever going to buy 2 litres of paint.

Tezza
Able Skipper

Post by Tezza » Jan 12th, '19, 11:59

Thought of two pack but don’t want to paint out the non skid. I’ll give Norglass a ring
Sonata 6 Mango

rseydler
Able Skipper

Post by rseydler » Jan 12th, '19, 13:01

Maybe cover it with tredgrip?

Don't use a high build two pack undercoat and you should retain the texture.

Harb
Inshore Skipper

Post by Harb » Jan 13th, '19, 12:57

I sanded my molded non skid flat as it was a bit too slippery when wet and barefoot and wasn't really designed to be painted over, once the gelcoat needs painting may as well sand the non skid flat and do it right . :wink:
I did mine with 2 pack + Intergrip using this as a guide https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SnXkloxnxc
End result is a surface similar to 40grit sandpaper that is non skid wet or dry , easy on the bare feet and will take the punishment for decades.
If you're planning to keep the boat long term you could tape off the area and do the non skid sections alone with 2k paint.

Or else if you still want to keep the molded section and paint it with single pack you could try mixing some flattening agent + Intergrip + thinners in your paint mixing constantly during painting and using a foam roller to spread it on. Not as good as the method in the above video and not as long lasting but its the best you can get by painting molded non skid areas.

Tezza
Able Skipper

Post by Tezza » Jan 13th, '19, 14:05

Thanks for info Harb. I don’t think I’ll rush into it but I’ve decided to fix the soft spot on the foredeck from the top so it will have to be done.
Sonata 6 Mango

Return to “General”