It is currently Aug 16th, '18, 15:26

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Dec 2nd, '17, 19:09 
Midshipman

Have thanks: 5 times
The furler on my Endeavour 26 has disconnected from its turnbuckle.
Can someone suggest how to fix this without removing the mast ?
Also does anyone recognise the furler brand ?
graham5494

Attachments:
Roller.JPG
Roller.JPG [ 44.66 KiB | Viewed 1104 times ]
Drum.JPG
Drum.JPG [ 49.47 KiB | Viewed 1104 times ]

PostPosted: Dec 2nd, '17, 19:11 
Midshipman

The furling stay is exposed about one metre at the top of the mast.
graham5494

Attachments:
Stays.JPG
Stays.JPG [ 22.58 KiB | Viewed 1103 times ]

PostPosted: Dec 2nd, '17, 19:50 
Inshore Skipper

Have thanks: 33 times
That will at least be a mast drop and possibly a new front stay, no idea of the brand could be an old profurl, it looks like it has the halyard integrated in the unit.

PostPosted: Dec 2nd, '17, 20:09 
Yachtmaster

Have thanks: 273 times
Graham can you post a photo of the broken part please? If that is a profurl and the problem is the connection to the bow of the boat I may be able to assist.

http://www.baysidetrailableyachtclub.com
Photo shows Wanton at Nara Inlet, Whitsundays, Qld.

PostPosted: Dec 2nd, '17, 21:57 
Admiral

Have thanks: 598 times
For what my opinion is worth, the forestay coming undone has probably damaged the cable so replacing it is worth doing before its next failure drops your rig.

Stainless rigging is easily damaged on assembly, especially where it supports a furler.

If you don't understand the various issues, get a rigger to replace the forestay and fix anything else that needs replacement.

Depending on condition and inspections things like turnbuckles and termination rigging may need changing. Riggers understand the issues and will protect your investment.

Simple things like allowing twist on cable rigging when its being tensioned will introduced stresses that will accelerate fatigue failures in the cable. When your turnbuckle came undone, the cable was probably stressed near the terminal ends hence the need to replace it.

A bad day in the Whitsundays is better than a good day at work. Unless you work in the Whitsundays.

PostPosted: Dec 3rd, '17, 02:42 
Able Skipper

Have thanks: 106 times
By far the easiest method is to drop the mast to replace the forestay. However some brands do not require you to drop the mast to add/remove the furler. It seems that there is no short rope from the top of the furler to the mast, to prevent the furler twisting. Alado furlers don't have the short rope to the mast, and allow you to install the whole thing without lowering the mast. But it's not an Alado style/shape of foil. Profurl probably.

The forestay needs to be replaced, and maybe increased in diameter by one millimetre. The lower turnbuckles and attachment points need to be inspected or replaced. Somehow the forestay has had fatigue or sideways forces, (anchoring?) that have fatigued the wires.

Been there, done that.

PostPosted: Dec 3rd, '17, 10:26 
Midshipman

I have only just acquired the Endeavour . I am considering my options .
Perhaps I can simply remove the furler in situ as the boat already has a forestay. Then I would secure the stay to another bottle screw.
What I am unsure of is whether the furling gear will simply slide all the way down the stay , or will it be locked in place by the upper swivel ?
Maybe an adjustment tool (Hacksaw) would facilitate removal.
All ideas would be welcomed.
graham5494

PostPosted: Dec 3rd, '17, 10:31 
Midshipman

I should add that my experience of furling gear stems from ownership of a Sunray 21 which had a Plastimo 406 unit fitted .
These things are nasty poor performing devices which always let you down.
My Plastimo unit destroyed my forestay and I came close to losing the boat at the time !
Hence I have a strong dislike of roller furling - give me a proper hanked-on sail every time !
graham5494

PostPosted: Dec 3rd, '17, 10:39 
Yachtmaster

Have thanks: 273 times
If it is similar to a Harken it will simply slide out as it is only at tube not attached mechanically to the forestay. It would have been fixed to the front of the boat near that turnbuckle by two "legs" extending from the bottom spool. The top of the mast (the tube) turns when you let the sail out or you reef it in, but the bottom below the spool is fixed. It has bearings inside the spool on the bottom. There is a plastic tube inside the spool that keeps the water out of the bearings. If that is perished you will find that the tube from an empty Sikaflex container, or similar tube cut to the correct length, will be just right as a replacement. Be sure to apply marine grease to the bearing before putting it all together.

Yes I agree, when they are working they are fantastic, but they can destroy the forestay if the halyard gets tangled with it as you use the furler. Looking up is the way and tightening the backstay is essential. I also have a plastic wheel (don't know what it is called) at the top that is supposed to keep the halyard separated from the forestay. It works most of the time, but still an issue. I am presently re adjusting the mast head to make more distance between the two. If it does not work the furler is coming off.

http://www.baysidetrailableyachtclub.com
Photo shows Wanton at Nara Inlet, Whitsundays, Qld.

PostPosted: Dec 3rd, '17, 10:54 
Inshore Skipper

Have thanks: 47 times
Hi Graham.

There a couple of unknowns here.
1. Condition of forestay and upper fitting.
2, Condition of furler foil
3. Availability of parts for Furler repair.

As you said that a normal hanked on sail is good enough:

I would get hold of a bosun's chair,
Run the halyard to the bow fitting and secure the mast.
Go up the mast and lower the old furler, Check halyard sheaves while up there.
With the whole rig on the ground, check forestay and if you are 100% certain of its condition refit it.
If it has had it, lay out $150 or so on a new one.
Try to get hold of a secondhand jib and genoa,
You will have the boat rigged safely and ready to sail while you work out what to do with the furler.

Gary

PostPosted: Dec 16th, '17, 20:04 
Midshipman

I have now been able to closely inspect the roller furling gear . The tangle of ropes is now undone and each string/wire identified. My 'second forestay' turned out to be a headsail halliard with a wire tail. I was able to remove the drum simply by drilling out a single pop rivet . With the furling drum removed I was then able to extract a plastic lining piece , perhaps about one metre long .

Now I have a situation where the aluminium tubular foil is stuck in position . The tube will neither slide up or nor down , with the wire stay visible for about one metre of its length , at the top of the mast. At its bottom extremity I cannot see any sign of the turnbuckle thread . I must add that the body of the bottlescrew is sitting in its normal position at the bow . It looks as if the previous owner has simply un-done the fitting !

Unfortunately in the short term I cannot un-step the mast . So the furler tube will have to be removed using my trusty hacksaw , drill etc. I guess that the reason why the tube will not simply slide off, is that the inner plastic lining strips are jamming the terminal fitting .

I reckon that if the tube is carefully sawn , one metre at a time, so as to extract the plastic strips, eventually the whole can be removed . I am hoping that someone who has done this job before can spot any errors in my logic.

graham5494

PostPosted: Feb 6th, '18, 12:50 
Midshipman

Finally my roller-furler is completely removed.

The debris from this operation can be seen in these pictures.

Some of the tube had to be cut with the angle grinder lengthways.

The main problem , was the numerous plastic bearings , strategically placed along the length of the stay.

Ironically the dismantling process would be very similar , even of the unit had been removed from the mast .

Now – where can I get an Endeavour head-sail complete with hanks ?

Graham 5494

Attachments:
Roller furler offcuts.JPG
Roller furler offcuts.JPG [ 96.83 KiB | Viewed 613 times ]
Plastic bearing.JPG
Plastic bearing.JPG [ 56.12 KiB | Viewed 613 times ]

PostPosted: Feb 6th, '18, 18:59 
Inshore Skipper

Have thanks: 47 times
Well done.
How is the forestay?
gary