Ross 780 mk1 outboard replacement

This is for any general chat and information. Posts on specific topics covered in other forums will be moved to keep all forums active and relevant. No political posts will be tolerated, and if you have had your fill of TSP then a political post is an easy way out the door"
impulse
Able Skipper

Re: Ross 780 mk1 outboard replacement

Post by impulse » Jan 25th, '18, 06:33

Can you steer with the motor or do you use the boat rudder ?
Cheers Robin.

Robin & Terry.
RL28 - QE3.

megawatt
Midshipman

Post by megawatt » Feb 5th, '18, 01:15

Back again, I had made some comments on another regarding linking the outboard and rudder together to improve its turning ability and to avoid the motor cavitating.
I have seen several methods bungee, link arm etc but due to wildly different pivot points and radii of the two components at a loss to come up with a solution. Then I watched this a youtube video where a guy hooked up a 12v linear actuator motor to do the steering remotely.
https://youtu.be/g1gaEEN6txI
Looks like an interesting idea so have ordered one off ebay, I plan to control it with a rocker switch on the tiller. Essentially just press left for port and right for starboard and then release centre stop.
Its a few weeks away so watch this space. Meanwhile I will do some drawings and post them so if anyone has any other ideas you can get to work.
Ross 780 mk I "Quicksilver" HY80
Every day over water is a good day.

megawatt
Midshipman

Post by megawatt » Feb 5th, '18, 01:22

impulse wrote:Can you steer with the motor or do you use the boat rudder ?
Just noticed your post impulse, answer is rudder only but am trying to work out a way of linking the two together. Re my previous post
Cheers
Ross 780 mk I "Quicksilver" HY80
Every day over water is a good day.

Harb
Inshore Skipper

Post by Harb » Feb 5th, '18, 22:17

megawatt wrote:
impulse wrote:Can you steer with the motor or do you use the boat rudder ?
Just noticed your post impulse, answer is rudder only but am trying to work out a way of linking the two together. Re my previous post
Cheers

Rope connected to rudder, outboard and 2 blocks fixed at port & starboard sides of transom ?

Was also considering making stainless linkages for my cat then tried some dyneema rope between the rudders and found it worked well enough without going to all the trouble of making linkages. Worked so well that not worth going to solid linkages and as a bonus the only maintenance required is changing the rope when it eventually wears out due to UV damage.
On a single rudder you'd need a couple of blocks so the rope pulls in both directions, a bit like the old cable steering system in the old stinkboats.

Return to “General”