Mponr

This is for any general chat and information. Posts on specific topics covered in other forums will be moved to keep all forums active and relevant. No political posts will be tolerated, and if you have had your fill of TSP then a political post is an easy way out the door"
User avatar
colect149
Yachtmaster
Posts: 2637
Joined: Oct 29th, '06, 00:55
Location: Somerville Victoria

Re: Mponr

Post by colect149 » Mar 12th, '18, 15:16

Those nightime pictures really capture the Marlay Magic. one year virtually none of the fleet ( and it was in the 400 plus days) got into the straits till daylight. The most magical sight ever but the cameras of the day struggled to capture it. At one stage in the stillness we heard a call of starbrd and the reply was "I am on anchor", one boat passed us with the skipper without a hint of guilt gently paddling his rudder.
Farr 5000 (Frodo).Tow hack Kia Sportage 2l FWD, Avan Camper, 1967 MGB roadster, 1932 Austin 7 Sports.

pdandy
Yachtmaster
Posts: 4398
Joined: Jan 20th, '08, 21:09
Location: maffra vic

Re: Mponr

Post by pdandy » Mar 12th, '18, 15:47

colect149 wrote:Those nightime pictures really capture the Marlay Magic. one year virtually none of the fleet ( and it was in the 400 plus days) got into the straits till daylight. The most magical sight ever but the cameras of the day struggled to capture it. At one stage in the stillness we heard a call of starbrd and the reply was "I am on anchor", one boat passed us with the skipper without a hint of guilt gently paddling his rudder.
Thanks, Mal. Unfortunately I couldn't catch the night sky - I was too tired to think or setting the camera to RAW so I could pull out the details later.

Image
noelex 25 green velvet

pdandy
Yachtmaster
Posts: 4398
Joined: Jan 20th, '08, 21:09
Location: maffra vic

Re: Mponr

Post by pdandy » Mar 12th, '18, 16:14

Image

Conflicted emotions -watching the wind arrive but seeing all those boats coming with it!
noelex 25 green velvet

pdandy
Yachtmaster
Posts: 4398
Joined: Jan 20th, '08, 21:09
Location: maffra vic

Re: Mponr

Post by pdandy » Mar 12th, '18, 16:29

Image

Bachus, sorry I didn't get any better shots - I was a bit tired by this stage.
noelex 25 green velvet

User avatar
impulse
Able Skipper
Posts: 1172
Joined: Oct 17th, '06, 00:27
Location: sydney

Re: Mponr

Post by impulse » Mar 12th, '18, 20:11

pdandy wrote:
colect149 wrote:Those nightime pictures really capture the Marlay Magic. one year virtually none of the fleet ( and it was in the 400 plus days) got into the straits till daylight. The most magical sight ever but the cameras of the day struggled to capture it. At one stage in the stillness we heard a call of starbrd and the reply was "I am on anchor", one boat passed us with the skipper without a hint of guilt gently paddling his rudder.
Thanks, Mal. Unfortunately I couldn't catch the night sky - I was too tired to think or setting the camera to RAW so I could pull out the details later.

Image
At risk of being a pedant, what's the go with all the masthead lights in conjunction with navigation (green & red) lights. :?
Cheers Robin.

Robin & Terry.
RL28 - QE3.

pdandy
Yachtmaster
Posts: 4398
Joined: Jan 20th, '08, 21:09
Location: maffra vic

Re: Mponr

Post by pdandy » Mar 12th, '18, 20:18

impulse wrote:
At risk of being a pedant, what's the go with all the masthead lights in conjunction with navigation (green & red) lights. :?
Yeah, protest the lot of them for motoring?
noelex 25 green velvet

User avatar
MargGannet
Yachtmaster
Posts: 2100
Joined: Oct 13th, '06, 10:51
Location: Bayswater North, Vic

Re: Mponr

Post by MargGannet » Mar 12th, '18, 20:23

As you said Paul - a bit of everything... and aahhh that kite finish!!! Pure testosterone from the crew!!! Not sure it gained anything but an adrenaline rush!
So pleased to finish after the last few as DNFs, and to enjoy the company of No 1 grandson for his first Marlay experience. He has to write a story for his homework this weekend so I think he has plenty of material after this one! Haven't sorted the few pics I took. Hoping to collect some from the crew as well.
Marg
Special Edition NX 25,
LC 80 series
Bayswater North, Vic

User avatar
bachus
Yachtmaster
Posts: 2040
Joined: Jan 24th, '13, 20:43
Location: Bayside, Melbourne

Re: Mponr

Post by bachus » Mar 12th, '18, 20:46

pdandy wrote:
impulse wrote:
At risk of being a pedant, what's the go with all the masthead lights in conjunction with navigation (green & red) lights. :?
Yeah, protest the lot of them for motoring?
Ah, they can see the wind indicator ;)
Jim
Castle 650 #96. Mystic.
Tow hack: Ford Territory TX SZ MkII Auto AWD

User avatar
Johny
CompetentCrew
Posts: 91
Joined: Jul 22nd, '17, 11:54
Location: Melbourne
Contact:

Re: Mponr

Post by Johny » Mar 13th, '18, 08:57

Love the pictures everyone - particularly the night time shots.
Jarcat 6, Kismet. 6.2M Catamaran. 9.8HP 2 Stroke Tohatsu.
https://jarcat6.blogspot.com.au/

geoff
Midshipman
Posts: 40
Joined: Jan 30th, '07, 10:14
Location: Gippsland

Re: Mponr

Post by geoff » Mar 13th, '18, 19:41

Re mast head navigation lights. It is recommended that yachts use mast head
Port and starboard lights when sailing so the sails do not obscure them. It’s in the
Regulations. Also they are easy to see if their is a swell running

pdandy
Yachtmaster
Posts: 4398
Joined: Jan 20th, '08, 21:09
Location: maffra vic

Re: Mponr

Post by pdandy » Mar 13th, '18, 19:58

geoff wrote:Re mast head navigation lights. It is recommended that yachts use mast head
Port and starboard lights when sailing so the sails do not obscure them. It’s in the
Regulations. Also they are easy to see if their is a swell running
Limpy was talking about the all round white mast head lights in the pics - my understanding is by running them they are indicating they are motoring ( or at anchor if the nav lights aren't visible) - it'd make for an interesting protest?

More importantly, some of them were stupidly bright and made it hard to see other boats. It even made it hard to see the p/s lights on the boats in question - take a look at the blue boat, sail no 58 in the middle of the picture he quoted! That boat was definitely not at anchor!

This was my first year cruising mid fleet, usually up the pointy end nobody runs mast head lights - we want to keep night vision so we can see our sail trim / see the banks etc.
noelex 25 green velvet

geoff
Midshipman
Posts: 40
Joined: Jan 30th, '07, 10:14
Location: Gippsland

Re: Mponr

Post by geoff » Mar 13th, '18, 20:37

Fair enough. Clear Mast head lights should not have been on if
Sailing. I thought the article was referring to navigation lights on top of the mast.

User avatar
impulse
Able Skipper
Posts: 1172
Joined: Oct 17th, '06, 00:27
Location: sydney

Re: Mponr

Post by impulse » Mar 13th, '18, 21:11

An all round white light at masthead should indicate the boat is at anchor in which case the navigation lights, red & green and stern light, are normally turned off. A masthead light in a sailing boat can be used as a steaming light in the absence of a mid-mast white light in which case the navigation lights will be left on.
As Paul says, lucky no one is going anywhere fast because their night vision would be stuffed. :roll:
Cheers Robin.

Robin & Terry.
RL28 - QE3.

User avatar
duncanhayward
Able Skipper
Posts: 603
Joined: Dec 10th, '08, 23:12
Location: Canberra, ACT

Re: Mponr

Post by duncanhayward » Mar 13th, '18, 22:33

Some great images of the 1st finish, taken by JEMBS!!


Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
Duncan
Noelex 25 #952
Quo Vadis

JEMBS
Midshipman
Posts: 47
Joined: Dec 7th, '16, 22:58
Location: Bairnsdale VIC

Re: Mponr

Post by JEMBS » Mar 13th, '18, 23:17

Thanks Duncan
John S
Comet 20 No 2 "Still Kicking"
DMAX LSM
R1200GS
R75/5

rseydler
Able Skipper
Posts: 1231
Joined: Oct 31st, '09, 17:12
Location: BrisVegas

Re: Mponr

Post by rseydler » Mar 14th, '18, 07:46


pdandy
Yachtmaster
Posts: 4398
Joined: Jan 20th, '08, 21:09
Location: maffra vic

Re: Mponr

Post by pdandy » Mar 14th, '18, 07:58

Bgr, apparently the mast head can also mean you are drifting...which was technically correct with conditions at the time...

" All recreational vessels must show an all-round white light while at anchor. If the vessel is drifting (underway but not making way) the vessel must display sidelights, masthead light and stern light."

https://transportsafety.vic.gov.au/mari ... ion-lights
noelex 25 green velvet

User avatar
zebedee
Admiral
Posts: 9970
Joined: May 9th, '07, 02:05
Location: Bayside Melbourne

Re: Mponr

Post by zebedee » Mar 14th, '18, 09:21

Sailing vessels underway (not using power) less than 7m in length and boats under oars

If practicable, any of the combinations for vessels under sail, or an electric torch or lighted lantern showing a white light, exhibited in sufficient time to prevent collision.


So the vessels under 7m under sail need to turn off either the masthead light or the red/green side lights!
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

User avatar
zebedee
Admiral
Posts: 9970
Joined: May 9th, '07, 02:05
Location: Bayside Melbourne

Re: Mponr

Post by zebedee » Mar 16th, '18, 11:28

A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

User avatar
HELLICONIA54
Able Skipper
Posts: 505
Joined: Apr 21st, '11, 23:26
Location: Melton Sth
Contact:

Re: Mponr

Post by HELLICONIA54 » Mar 24th, '18, 18:08

Well We entered our very first MPONR.Never raced and never sailed after sunset.We came over the line LAST.However,in our division(A) we came 70 out of 78 on handicap.We were that white TS16 with the orange and blue tip to mains'l.SWN y MOR was our name.Had a frustrating time.Saw the sunrise just as we approached Holland landing.Got caught in the incoming tide and with no wind were taken backwards for what seemed like a kilometre or so.
HartleyTS16,SWN y MOR.
17' pirogue,Stormbringer,
1968 Flying Dutchman,Kittiwake.

pdandy
Yachtmaster
Posts: 4398
Joined: Jan 20th, '08, 21:09
Location: maffra vic

Re: Mponr

Post by pdandy » Mar 24th, '18, 18:21

HELLICONIA54 wrote:Well We entered our very first MPONR.Never raced and never sailed after sunset.We came over the line LAST.However,in our division(A) we came 70 out of 78 on handicap.We were that white TS16 with the orange and blue tip to mains'l.SWN y MOR was our name.Had a frustrating time.Saw the sunrise just as we approached Holland landing.Got caught in the incoming tide and with no wind were taken backwards for what seemed like a kilometre or so.
Awesome effort, you got absolute top value for money with the maximun possible race time . More importantly, next year you get to improve heaps ( because there is no way that 229 boats will ever be in front of you again)

For what it's worth, my first race was a mponr and it's still my favourite event
noelex 25 green velvet

User avatar
zebedee
Admiral
Posts: 9970
Joined: May 9th, '07, 02:05
Location: Bayside Melbourne

Re: Mponr

Post by zebedee » Apr 27th, '18, 22:31

A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

pdandy
Yachtmaster
Posts: 4398
Joined: Jan 20th, '08, 21:09
Location: maffra vic

Re: Mponr

Post by pdandy » Apr 27th, '18, 22:51

That reminds me, it turns out my night shots WERE taken in both jpeg and raw format. I really should try playing with them .
noelex 25 green velvet

User avatar
bachus
Yachtmaster
Posts: 2040
Joined: Jan 24th, '13, 20:43
Location: Bayside, Melbourne

Re: Mponr

Post by bachus » Apr 28th, '18, 10:54

Will be a handy experiment - just what detail can be pulled out of darkness in the RAW images. I have seen some amazing things done with such images (in this format). Get to it sir :-)
Jim
Castle 650 #96. Mystic.
Tow hack: Ford Territory TX SZ MkII Auto AWD

User avatar
Tezza
Lakes & Bays Skipper
Posts: 460
Joined: Apr 2nd, '17, 17:31
Location: Brisbane

Re: Mponr

Post by Tezza » Apr 28th, '18, 13:32

I’ve just spend an hour or two looking at all the posts and photos. Thank you very very much it was fantastic. Now the glaring omission was the almost zero number of masthead boats.
Were they so far ahead or is it there is just is not many around these days .
Never owned a fractional and it is my one and only regret with Mango.
Sonata 6 Mango

Post Reply

Return to “General”