One for the 2-stroke horse (power) whisperers

This is for any general chat and information. Posts on specific topics covered in other forums will be moved to keep all forums active and relevant. No political posts will be tolerated, and if you have had your fill of TSP then a political post is an easy way out the door"
peterh
Midshipman

One for the 2-stroke horse (power) whisperers

Post by peterh » Apr 29th, '18, 19:17

My scenario is:
- a Yamaha 8hp 2 stroke that has behaved reasonably well over the years- not sure the year of manufacture, but about 2004 or 2005
- used exclusively on Gippsland Lakes, and motor always flushed after use, and serviced every 3-4 years including changing impeller
- when used at Easter experienced problems- the water flow from the telltale slowed to a trickle, and exhaust smoke was emitting from the telltale hole;
- when revs increased, the motor seemed to 'suffocate', with exhaust smoke emitting from around the base of the motor, and it would stall unless revs backed off
- removed the cowling cover on the theory that would allow air to flow to the motor, and seemed to run a little better, but still not as per usual

Has been suggested to me that these Yamaha motors are prone to internal corrosion, and that this is likely problem

I came across the post below from MoodyBlue and wonder whether this may be my issue?

http://www.trailersailerplace.com.au/ph ... hp#p122933

Not being at all 'mechanical', I am not sure whether this is a case of approaching the motor's end of life, or whether there are steps that can be taken to restore the performance

Any thoughts or suggestions gratefully received.

Regards

All in Blue
sonata 26
All in Blue

barnaclephill
Able Skipper

Re: One for the 2-stroke horse (power) whisperers

Post by barnaclephill » Apr 29th, '18, 20:44

Dangar Marine/Dangar Stu's video, especially at 12 minutes 50secs. Good tell tale and water flow, occasional pulsing of the water because of exhaust gas getting in. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joEQChc ... mIRUO&t=0s

Either a blown gasket or corrosion. So a mechanic or yourself could pull it apart and have a look.
Northerner28.

Return to “General”