It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:54 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: morton bay channels
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:38 pm 
Midshipman

Have thanks: 0 time
Can anybody help us as locate the best course from Amity Point to Mays

Hole at Days Gutter Kooringal, South Moreton Island?

Thanks
Tony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:52 am 
Yachtmaster

Have thanks: 4 times
Sure, have done this numerous times, always feels exciting to go across there. You can watch the car ferry go across to get a guide and I'm not going to give any co-ords as the sand banks move around. Get out your trusty Beacon to Beacon. So from Amity you'll see a green, a north cardinal bouy at the mouth of the rous channel, then another green, keep these well to your left then head a quite a bit right of reeders point ie head somewhere between N and NNE ie stay in the deep water, you can tell where that is as it doesn't have breaking waves, then look for deep water channel usually to the east of reeders point heaging in close to the point. There's no markers here as it shifts so much. As I said if you can time it to when the car ferry comes in you will get shown the best path. Last time i WENT THE CHANNEL WAS ALMOST ALONG THE BEACH, BUT IT'S BEEN A FEW YEARS SO DON'T TAKE MY WORD FOR IT. bUT BEING SAND AND LOVELY CLEAR WATER IT'LL BE PRETTY OBVIOUS ON A SUNNY DAY with polaroid sunnies. Sorry, stupid caps lock, I wasn't yelling and can't be bothered retyping....

Now the common sense bit, if it's at all rough don't, and leave amity a few hours before high tide so you don't get sucked out the bar, the currents can be pretty redical in there!! And if you are there when the tide is going down it'll stand the waves up pretty big. Get across as quickly as possible by motoring.

Cheers

BTW the bar at Kooringal will usually have the cricket on TV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:14 am 
Inshore Skipper

Have thanks: 5 times
Drikko's on the right track (pun intended). The vehicular ferry from Amity to Kooringal provides a good guide. When GeoffR introduced us to the track we were just inside the surf line travelling from Kooringal to South Stradbroke. Here's a pic of the Combie Trader following.

Unfortunately, our GPS didn't come online until we we'd cleared the banks and were in the South Passage channel so I can't offer any more than Drikko. The maroon track, across the "Piles exposed at low water" was following Crossfire. And, the dark blue, our track home down the Rous Channel in calm conditions.

I can only reiterate Drikko when he advises common sense. If it's at all rough - don't. The tides do race out that passage. Good luck. It beats the long way round!
MurrayF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:02 pm 
Midshipman

Thanks for replies, may try sometime over weekend depending on weather

Cheers
Tony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:09 am 
Able Skipper

Have thanks: 86 times
in good weather, when we're in that area around Rous Channel, one tactic we have employed is to wait for high tide, when there is usually a metre of water over almost all the banks, and just point where you want to go, and motor there with the keel up.

You have to keep a lookout for obstacles, but by and large its a pleasant way to get around, with very clear water and the vista of the sandbanks with their stingrays, dugongs, etc passing slowly beneath.

At low tide it's a different matter. Between Amity and Kooringal at low tide, there seems to be no way to avoid going through that shallow section.

Moreton Bay is a great place, and you could spend years and still not see all of it.
We had a pleasant time just camped with another boat on the big sandbank in the middle of Rous Channel. Walking around at low tide there is a big wreck at one end full of fish, small Wobbegong and Leopard sharks, and other life.

GeoffR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:06 pm 
CompetentCrew

GeoffR,

I don't think that bimini is quite large enough.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:33 am 
Able Skipper

Almost a 'Trimini' Rod!

GeoffR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:50 pm 
CompetentCrew

Very clever!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:44 am 
Midshipman

Geoff
Beautiful bimini (trimini), would never be without ours now when we are cruising.
On Airtime it looks like the main sheet is still at the back of the boom and through the top of the bimini. What happens when you are sailing 'cause the boom is not often in the same position as in the photo? Might seem a dopey question :? , & there's probably an obvious answer that I'm too thick to work out.
My one thought is that the bimini is pulled back when sailing but in this photo is being used to keep one VIP happy and out of the sun as should always be the case.
Pat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:44 am 
Able Skipper

Hi Pat
in that pic the mainsheet is pushed off to the port side.
We can have the bimini up when we're running but on the wind we have to fold it back.

Our sistership Magenta has a new mainsheet system where the sheeting is on the coach house, so it can be used with the bimini open

Our bimini is an off-the-shelf one from Whitworths that we butchered by extending the middle aluminium tube, and then sewed up a new canvas for it.

GeoffR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:06 pm 
Yachtmaster

You wouldn't want to do an accidental Gybe with the bimini up, would cause some hilarity amongst the surrounding boats :oops: :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:20 pm 
Yachtmaster

Have thanks: 14 times
Hey Geoff,

Any chance of diagram and/or pics of your main sheet system on the coach house. I'm thinking something similar for Sea Gypsy when I finally get there that is.
I don't have any sort of traveller up there at the moment and I think she does need something with a bit more adjustment that the fixed in the centre she has now.
:D

http://www.seagypsyonline.com.au
Image http://www.SaveOurSeasInt.org
Image.........Image...........Image
.........Investigator 563 ..................NZ92 1 metre RC yachts x 2.......1974 Gilflite Javelin powered by Chevrolet
and an ex-Keel Boat owner

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:21 pm 
Able Skipper

Jay
no diagram necessary really, but let me know if you can't quite see how it goes.
that system on the coach house is very simple....a separate 3:1 block system on each side, each with its own swivel base and cleat.
You can let out one or both. Manipulating just one is fine tuning.

A gybe on Airtime running downwind would possibly be prevented by the bimini to a certain extent. Nevertheless I'd probably find some way to cause hilarity on surrounding boats.

GeoffR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:07 pm 
Able Skipper

Have thanks: 36 times
I don't care what my wife says. I need an Airwave! Especially if it helps me sail in places like MB.

... .- .. .-.. + ..-. .- ... - + .-.. .. ...- . + ... .-.. --- .--

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:34 pm 
Yachtmaster

Well I'm sure if you buy one without asking her, she'll no doubt let you shift up here and live on it in MB. She'll stay behind in a house of course and the cars and the kids and the plasma, surround sound, stocks, superannuation...... Still you'll have the boat and MB, tis a fair cop :)

Anyway back to the original post, Tony, where did you get to on the weekend? Probably not suitable for the crossing you proposed although if you got up early enough it would have been OK.

I though I saw something like the Airwave in Horseshoe Bay, were you there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:33 pm 
Able Skipper

Drikko

Airtime is on its trailer at Bundaberg Sailing Club. I'm hoping to head off soon to some nice locations to the North of there. If I do I'll report back with pics on TSP

Magenta is on a mooring at Urangan, but will hopefully soon be on a trailer also at Bundaberg.

So the boat you saw at Horshoe was an imposter!

GeoffR