It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:50 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Skyringville
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:48 pm 
Able Skipper

Have thanks: 86 times
Hi all
now that our boat lives on its trailer at Bundaberg Sailing Club on the banks of the Burnett River near the mouth, we thought we would try a trip to Skyringville. This is the large enclosed waterway just to the North.
To get there you motor or sail around through the mouth of the Burnett River about 5nm to the entrance to Skyringville
It's easy to get in and out at high tide, but remember it faces directly to the North, so a Northerly wind will make it very bumpy.
At the Southern end there are large channels lined with mangroves.
In the middle on the foreshore there are about 20 small houses, which is the village of Skyringville. Quite idyllic but apparently the owner wants to terminate the leases and they have all been given notice to vacate.
On the foreshore to the North Western end there is a large area of Casuarinas excellent for camping. Plenty of room.
At the far North Western end there is a shallow entrance to the sea at high tide, if you want to go North.
We camped there. Although it's not a particularly crabby part of Skyringville we caught three good crabs there in our pots.
If you go in next to the mangroves there are crabs in season, and big bream all the time it seems. The big ones are amongst the mangroves, so you have to use strategies to avoid getting snagged.
Yabbies can be pumped on the sand flats at the North-western end.
It's a great place, and only accessible by sea unless you have a key to the Bundaberg Sugar property to the west. We had not a mossie or sandfly bother us, but I suspect it would be different in Summer. We're going back in a week or so.
The only thing I would say is that it is spoiled by Northerly winds, so watch your weather forecast.
regards
GeoffR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:39 pm 
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Have thanks: 3 times
Hi Geoff

Looks like a nice spot. Will put it on my to do list

What sort of a setup does the sailing club have for storage and are the charges reasonable??

Allan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:44 pm 
Able Skipper

Hi Allan
It's a very large grassy yard with a fulltime caretaker. Storage on the trailer around $400 per year.
It's a good ramp with a floating jetty, and good facilities.
Northerlies bugger it up.
Nice people there
cheers
Geoff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:21 am 
Able Skipper

Have thanks: 44 times
Hi Geoff,
Did you go to the airshow down in Bundy the other week?

My folks flew their Jabiru down.

The Bundy/ Fraser Coast area looks like a great spot for TS's

Cheers
Mojo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:18 am 
Able Skipper

Have thanks: 37 times
Hi Geoff,
Great pictorial story of the trip and useful for others interested in spending some time there.
We spent an enjoyable week there post B2B a few years ago. We left the car/trailer with in the compound at theBluewater? Club and also caught up with some then TSP identities there including Garry Beattie.
(The previous post B2B cruise was a nice hop up the coast from Urangan, visiting/ overnighting nice places of Burrum Heads, Theodolite Creek, Elliott Heads (these entrances are barred so care is required but they are well described in the Beacon to Beacon) before entering the Burnett (there is an interesting set of essential nav marks in the Burnett so keep your wits about you!!). We stayed a few days at the Mid City (?) Marina for a visit to the Bundy factory then backpackers bus back to Urangan to pick up the trailer/car and retrieved next to the road bridge at Bundy.) Successful crabbing was at each with Theodolite Creek and Burrum Heads best.
The two trips could have been combined using a bigger timeframe and suitable weather.
There were tree snags to watch for at the southern entrance to Skyringville when we were there but used it to exit , early morning, when leaving. The northern entrance is probably the preferable entry. A waypoint and maybe ensuing bearing would be a useful addition to the writeup with the usual rider "as at ....." caution because of shifting sands. Do you have your GPS track still Geoff?
You obviously got on better with the shackdwellers. Some ...... knocked off a few of my crabpots and contents which was a downer.

So where does the word Skyringville come from? There are a few creeks etc likewise named in northern parts??

Well done, Geoff. Good post. Should be more of them.

-Bob (still at the Mater exercising a nice new knee!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:21 am 
Inshore Skipper

Have thanks: 12 times
Nautek1
RE. club .
I know of an out of town sailer who applied for membership of the club last week with the idea of leaving his small yacht there (on a trailer). He was told that there were getting to many yachts there just using their facilities and that it would have to be discussed at a meeting before a decision could be made.
There has been a change of the club exective so maybe a change of direction,
Club fees $145 storage $40 a metre (both figures approx.,I got the new sheet yesterday glanced at it, left it on the boat and forgot about it)
Any body know of a memory rebuild pill?
Geoff,
Must of got your return date wrong, will keep an eye out for you.
Went out for a sail yesterday, what a bashing past the 5 mile mark, I didn't think a northerly could blow that hard.
Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:49 pm 
Able Skipper

Peter
sorry we missed you, although Trish was saying she had a talk to you.
We came back from Skyringville Sunday but the Northerly was too strong to put our boat on the trailer so it is in the port marina until we come up in a week or so.
GeoffR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:00 pm 
Inshore Skipper

Another option for boat storage in Bundaberg is the Blue Water Club at Burnett Heads. They have similar facilites to the sailing club but were cheaper.
Peter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:18 pm 
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Have thanks: 3 times
Thanks Peter

I'll check it out next time i'm over there

Thanks Geoff

No good if you can't get your boat back on the trailer in a northerly as we seem to get them too often these days.

Allan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:40 pm 
Able Skipper

Peter
that Blue Water Club, do they have a yard with lots of room, and a Northerly proof ramp?
Are they up in that enclosed area right at the mouth of the Burnett?
GeoffR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:22 pm 
Able Skipper

Mojo,
didn't get to that airshow. Sounds good.
I went out to the airport and had a look at some Jabirus. You can get a good four seater for not much more than the cost of a Ross 780. Tempting to arc up the old pilot licence again.
cheers
GeoffR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:12 pm 
Inshore Skipper

Geoff,
I wouldn't say lots of room but would probably get 10 more boats in there.
I tried to describe the ramp and yard but couldn't find the words so took a couple of snaps. The ramp has a very shallow gradient so a high tide launch is best although low tide is still useable. Photos are taken at about low tide, high tide water will be up to where the ramp widens so the boat is quite protected from wind and tide plus someone can stand on the bank with a rope and hold the boat without getting wet. Ramp faces approx NE.
Yes, it is in the boat harbour at the mouth of the river .

If you need a hand to get the boat out, just give me a call 41556876 , remember I am only arround the corner.
Peter

Attachments:
ramp.JPG
ramp.JPG [ 28.51 KiB | Viewed 1079 times ]
ramp3.JPG
ramp3.JPG [ 28.38 KiB | Viewed 1079 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:36 pm 
Able Skipper

Peter
looks like it would be much better in a Northerly breeze. Must keep that in mind for the future. Meanwhile we have to plan ahead a bit better for launching and retrieving from BSC, with regard to wind...and tide.
Appreciate the offer, may take you up on that.
See you round sometime hopefully
GeoffR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:22 pm 
Able Skipper

Have thanks: 44 times
Hi Geoff,
Dad has just finished building the 2 seater version Jabiru. He's very happy with it. Since finishing he has flown south to Bundy, north up the cape and over to WA and back again.

He's just taken a job in Longreach, so I guess he'll see some of your handy work at the Qantas museum.

Cheers
Mojo