Volcano restoration

This is for any general chat and information. Posts on specific topics covered in other forums will be moved to keep all forums active and relevant. No political posts will be tolerated, and if you have had your fill of TSP then a political post is an easy way out the door"
GeoffR
Able Skipper

Volcano restoration

Post by GeoffR » Feb 3rd, '11, 08:39

Volcano has been just sitting here for a some months as we did other work but last week we had to decide whether we will continue with it or give up and take it to the landfill.

We were all set to give up but we were talking to Ross about it, and have decided to press on as it's a boat that has sentimental value to some of us.

We have other work on, but we'll give Volcano an hour a day just to keep it moving forward.

Trish has already stripped the antifoul from the hull some time ago.

We've managed to get it rolled upside down, and have started grinding the repairs on the starboard side.

The possum that lives in the corner of the shed doesn't like the noise!

It's a big job and is going to take a long time.
At the risk of boring everyone, I'll post regularly to show our progress.

GeoffR

Mojo
Able Skipper

Post by Mojo » Feb 3rd, '11, 09:29

Hi Geoff, fantastic. Beautiful, Ross will be thrilled.

Cheers
Mojo

MelN
Able Skipper

Post by MelN » Feb 3rd, '11, 10:08

It will be a joy to watch her come back to life. Good on you. :-)
Mel
Cal 14 'Charlie'
Gippsland

moveable ballast
Inshore Skipper

Post by moveable ballast » Feb 3rd, '11, 11:54

Being one with a sentimental interest in her restoration (crew for the last few years) thanks for your continued efforts...I for one cannot thank you strongly enough, she means a hell of a lot to me let alone ross...

and I am sure the possum will come to love her too :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lea

ex Jedda owner.

now...

"Teeny Bosa" Peterson, Santana30

I used to have a handle on life...but it broke

Ralph
Yachtmaster

Re: Volcano restoration

Post by Ralph » Feb 3rd, '11, 12:05

GeoffR wrote:I'll post regularly to show our progress.
Yes please. It'll be great.

Ralph

PS. Sent you a PM.

Gwomit
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by Gwomit » Feb 3rd, '11, 12:44

Ralph wrote:
GeoffR wrote:I'll post regularly to show our progress.
Yes please. It'll be great.
Ralph
Absolutely please Geoff.

Vic

SeawayVolcano
Able Skipper

Post by SeawayVolcano » Feb 3rd, '11, 16:23

What can I possibly add other than :D , and that I'm really happy to see her progressing.

Thanks Geoff.
Cheers,

RossD and Jo.

There's not enough room to swing a cat in the Seaway 25 cabin.
Don't ask the cat how I know...

MargGannet
Yachtmaster

Post by MargGannet » Feb 3rd, '11, 18:17

Another one who enjoys watching the progress...

Thanks Geoff and Trish. :D
Marg
Special Edition NX 25,
LC 80 series
Bayswater North, Vic

GeoffR
Able Skipper

Post by GeoffR » Feb 4th, '11, 21:00

Hi
good to know that there are interested parties. I'll try to keep pictures coming.

Here is today's grinding session.

Every mark on the hull seems to have an area of delamination in the layers below.

Tomorrow I'll attack the big repair on the bottom...it's a monster, although it didn't break right through.

GeoffR

Wanton
Yachtmaster

Post by Wanton » Feb 5th, '11, 07:40

Terrific to see the progress of this labour of love. I know it is probably a far fetched request but I would really like to see pictures of how you will layer the glass to repair that big hole.

:cry: Unfortunately while I am a bit of a handy man with mechanical things, I am absolutely hopeless with paint and even more so with fiber glassing. I just do not understand its structure, so when it comes to making things look good I am not very good at all.

:?:I wonder if there is some sort of a TAFE course that we can do to learn this sort of stuff. I to take my hat off (in the shade) to artisans.

Thanks for the pictures.
Ed
Wanton C22/110
All I wanna do is sail
http://www.baysidetrailableyachtclub.com
Photo shows Wanton sailing on Port Phillip Bay.

SeawayVolcano
Able Skipper

Post by SeawayVolcano » Feb 6th, '11, 01:45

Before Ului damaged Volcano I began a 1/10 scale model of her. After the cyclone I couldn't bring myself to complete it. Now that Geoff is continuing the restoration I have dragged the rough out hull from the dungeon with the other R/C yachts and will float the thing tomorrow to check righting moment and waterline balance and buoyancy.

Thanks Geoff, for the half hull to help me with the lines. It was impossible to get it exact, but it is close and should sail. If it all goes ok, I have to fair and fill the balsa and foam mock up and take a mould. When I have it sorted I'll send you the second hull from the mould. 'Cano is about 7.9 metres. The model is about 790mm. If the model sails well, you can whack in some RC gear. If not, well, it might be an interesting static model.

EDIT

(For GeoffR)

It floats. testing in the pool with no rudder and the jib stuck. Last video should be ballast check. Model only has about 170mm draft (close to scale) and rig height is close to scale.

There was a very gentle breeze and the thing actually sailed! Now the work begins...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIJIYwXkwe0

It floats right on the true waterline.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7H-A0ZIpMyE

And seems to have just the right ballast.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7zSEnm674c

Cheers,

RossD
Attachments
DSCF1186.JPG
DSCF1186.JPG (99.16 KiB) Viewed 11364 times
DSCF1187.JPG
DSCF1187.JPG (77.03 KiB) Viewed 11364 times
Last edited by SeawayVolcano on Feb 6th, '11, 14:08, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,

RossD and Jo.

oz4me
Able Skipper

Post by oz4me » Feb 6th, '11, 09:00

Geoff wrote
Every mark on the hull seems to have an area of delamination in the layers below.
Oh Geoff I know exactly what you are saying One day we may get both of our hulls finished sighhhhhhh
Old Age is when she invites you upstairs to make love and you have to pick one or the other

GeoffR
Able Skipper

Post by GeoffR » Feb 6th, '11, 15:11

Hi Ross,
I'm keen on that project, a sailing model Seaway will be a lot of fun.
It's looking really good, just needs a bit of refining to make it a winner.
Yes I'm still interested to make one.

I imagine a few others would also be interested.

It looks plenty stiff enough in the video.
If we make more than one they should all have the same mast, sail, keel and bulb so they are competitive with each other.

good stuff!
GeoffR

SeawayVolcano
Able Skipper

Post by SeawayVolcano » Feb 6th, '11, 15:51

We can start a class, like Marblehead or I.O.M.

Seaway class or Volcano class would suit us, but for a national class maybe Mini QT class (Quarter Tonner).

I think Terry (Kimantez) expressed interest way back when i started it. The scale is generic enough that there might be other TS owners (Sonatas etc.) interested in having an RC scale yacht similar to their TS, that can handle salt water and waves, small and tough enough to throw in the TS and take on holidays.

The big thing I was hoping for was that the hull form would let me get away from those ridiculously deep heavy keels that even the One Metre class have. Looking at the way she went in the pool I think that worked nicely.

Original plan was internal hull ballast and lead keel with no bulb, but the bulb keel seems to have everything just about right so I mightn't mess with it.

Anyway, I won't post any more on this thread If anyone asks questions here I'll start a thread.

Cheers,

RossD
Cheers,

RossD and Jo.

Tez
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by Tez » Feb 6th, '11, 17:51

I think Terry (Kimantez) expressed interest way back when i started it
Yep, dead right... Haven't mucked about with RC for maybe 8 or 9 years, but still watching with interest...

Mind you, a Seaway would be hull #8. I think these days Kim would most likely just shrug and let me have my way... :mrgreen:

Some of the fleet:
Attachments
020819.JPG
020819.JPG (43.1 KiB) Viewed 11296 times
Tez
Kimantez
Seaway25

sean121
CompetentCrew

Post by sean121 » Feb 6th, '11, 17:54

thats a nice looking rc catamaran tez, im curently building one and so far i have only done the hull frames and started sheeting this afternoon, how does your cat get along? is it quiet quick?
Sunmaid 20
Solcat 18
Jarcat 6

Tez
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by Tez » Feb 6th, '11, 18:22

Hi Sean.
"Beast" (sail # 666 :wink: ) is a bit of a prototype actually, that turned out better than expected.
For a cat-rig it goes surprisingly well, but like all cat-rigged boats, a pig to tack.
If I get the controls just right, she'll lift one hull out of the water, but the slightest puff and over she'll go. :shock:
Just as well the club has a crash boat! :oops:
Tez
Kimantez
Seaway25

BlueGhost
Midshipman

Post by BlueGhost » Feb 6th, '11, 19:26

Hey underneath all that antifoul it has a similar paint job to my MkII, white with blue stripes... Good to see her being reborn and keen to follow the progress.

p
PeterN

Seaway25MkII
"Blue Ghost"
MTYC

GeoffR
Able Skipper

Post by GeoffR » Feb 7th, '11, 18:45

Continuing with the repairs to Volcano:

we are making backing plates held in place by wiring them up to the plywood bridges, to allow us to fiberglass over the open spaces in these repairs.
The backing plates are 4mm mdf with the white melamine face. The melamine surface is waxed, so that once the first 600mm layer of chopstrand matt is cured, the wires are cut and the backing plate is flipped off the back of the repair. Then the repair can continue.
The back of the repairs will be ground and they will be glassed from the inside as well.

More tomorrow!
GeoffR

BlueGhost
Midshipman

Post by BlueGhost » Feb 7th, '11, 19:56

Geoff, I guess when you took the cabin/deck off you might have taken the winches off. I'm just wondering what the halyard winches were screwed into? The ones on my MkII have four screws going into something, and two of them won't tighten. Have you found that they go into wood or captive bolts?? I'd like to take mine off to have them serviced but not sure what I'm getting into if i remove them.

Cheers,

peter
PeterN

Seaway25MkII
"Blue Ghost"
MTYC

GeoffR
Able Skipper

Post by GeoffR » Feb 7th, '11, 20:12

Peter
they are most likely going into 12mm plywood.
If the screws have stripped in the plywood you could inject some epoxy into the hole to get some traction.
However if water somehow found its way in and rotted the plywood, nothing will really help, short of removing the inner layer of fibreglass and the degraded plywood, and replacing it.

I would suggest that winches should be bolted right through the deck which might be a better way to solve the problem.

GeoffR

SeawayVolcano
Able Skipper

Post by SeawayVolcano » Feb 7th, '11, 20:40

Hi Geoff,

Once you get going, you don't muck about do yoU? For anyone that hasn't actually seen the other damage, it looks remarkably simple. Looking at that I can appreciate the offer to repair it "affordably" for me when it looked like those holes were the only damage. I assume you'll have to strip out all the glass that holds the lead in place to do the holes in the bottom of the hull, because water got between there and the hull proper and there could be mobs of delamination. Oddly, it was that layer bonding the lead in place that stopped her from sinking. She was full of water that came in through the holes in the side, but still floated on the high tides.

She's a tough little boat. I'm so glad she will have a chance to live.

Cheers,

RossD.
Cheers,

RossD and Jo.

Tez
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by Tez » Feb 7th, '11, 23:50

I'm so glad she will have a chance to live
Ross, I don't think you're the only one - I'm sure there's plenty of people keen to see her sail again.
Tez
Kimantez
Seaway25

mrbarry76
Midshipman

Post by mrbarry76 » Feb 8th, '11, 13:14

......so there I was, minding my own business, when old Bob from the club comes up while I'm rigging near the ramp.
So we gets to talking...as you do, about the old days, and he mentions he used to have a Seaway 25 on a swing mooring at Airlie in about a spot where the marina is now.
........so I says to him.."...It wouldn't happen to have been call 'Volcano' by any chance?..."
...and i his reply...."Yes. Yes it was."
Roll out the cliches!
James

Melbourne

GeoffR
Able Skipper

Post by GeoffR » Feb 8th, '11, 18:59

Trish has been putting in some hours on Volcano during the day, and I come in at 4pm (after working all day on the Blazer 740) and put in an hour as well.

We've been fiberglassing some of these repairs to the side of Volcano.

So far it's all quite straightforward, but when we have glassed, filled and faired all the side damage, we'll tip the boat on its side and address the big repair which is on the bottom of the hull.

GeoffR

Return to “General”