It is currently Dec 18th, '17, 08:43

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Feb 24th, '11, 08:57 
Yachtmaster

Have thanks: 238 times
Hi all,

I was reading the NY Times this morning and came across this article about an American couple and their two crew friends being killed by pirates off the coast of Somalia. They were living their dream but where snuffed out by these sea jackals. I have read about possible reasons why these pirates have chosen to go down the piracy road, apparently something to do with European fishermen overfishing their fishing grounds and taking away their livelyhood. This is not an excuse but some background to their excuses.

Any way piracy and murder are hideous crime somehow made worst when they happen on the high seas, far away from possible escape and help.

The following is the link to the article in today's NYTimes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/23/world/africa/23pirates.html?ref=todayspaper

http://www.baysidetrailableyachtclub.com
Photo shows Wanton at Nara Inlet, Whitsundays, Qld.

PostPosted: Feb 24th, '11, 09:18 
Yachtmaster

Have thanks: 255 times
We have friends sailing in company presently up the Omani / Yemeni coast with about 10 boats. They would have left Mumbai at the same time, and imagine they met/ knew them - at the very least chatted on the cruise net. Their opinion is that the omani / yemeni coast guard have a 'reputation' as compared to the coalition navies. :? Why they would break with a convoy in that area god only knows.... which is also a factor, they were missionaries, their mantra was to distribute bibles to the needy.

Edit:
http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index. ... try3172555

Hope the rest get up the suez safely - it must be a massive relief to hit the med.

PostPosted: Feb 24th, '11, 12:09 
Midshipman

Have thanks: 0 time
Quote:- "they were missionaries, their mantra was to distribute bibles to the needy".

An emotive issue... why does a Muslim country "need" Bibles?

PostPosted: Feb 24th, '11, 15:26 
Admiral

Have thanks: 540 times
Pirates raid ships because it is good business, nothing more nothing less.

Eventually Western Governments will realise that the cost of Pirates is so great that actions need to occur to reduce the rate of piracy.

If the funds gained by piracy were confiscated by Western Governments as soon as pirates spent the money, then nobody would sell goods or arms to pirates. It should be a crime against humanity to sell stuff to pirates or other violent criminals, confiscate the money from the people selling the arms and goods and the supply of arms and goods will slow down.

As with so many criminal activities follow the money. Keep chasing the people but its the money that feeds these discusting people.

A bad day in the Whitsundays is better than a good day at work. Unless you work in the Whitsundays.

PostPosted: Feb 24th, '11, 17:48 
CompetentCrew

Two-up wrote:
Quote:- "they were missionaries, their mantra was to distribute bibles to the needy".

For the Christian minorities within the countries

PostPosted: Feb 25th, '11, 13:26 
Admiral

Have thanks: 922 times
Two-up wrote:

Well obviously if they're Muslims, they need saving!

In the perverse worldviews of "my holy book is right and yours is wrong and I must save your soul", it is their christian duty to distribute bibles to the heathens, and the muslim's duty to resist the infidels...

I sometimes wonder why the Jews get such a hard time, given their reluctance to recruit.

A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

PostPosted: Feb 25th, '11, 13:42 
Able Skipper

Have thanks: 4 times
Zeb at the risk of having eggs or abuse thrown at me it all boils down to "Is my imaginary friend better than your imaginary friend"
And also the Yanks are taking Piracy very seriously, they recruited an Australian firm to build them some very fast ships. So that NO PIRATE will be safe http://www.rense.com/general89/nav.htm 43 knots and cruising

PostPosted: Feb 25th, '11, 18:22 
Inshore Skipper

Have thanks: 3 times
one news report stated that the pirate leaders were on board the American ship negotiating there release when they were shot, have not heard it mentioned again
cheers Ian

PostPosted: Feb 25th, '11, 19:33 
CompetentCrew

Have thanks: 1 time
Don't necessarily agree, and it has been around for quite a while, but google 'somali cruises'... :|

Sunmaid 20, 'Halcyon'
Jackaroo 98 SE
VORG 'Halcyon'

PostPosted: Feb 25th, '11, 19:48 
Admiral

Have thanks: 540 times
Just what America needs more war ships.

No wonder their economy is trashed.

A bad day in the Whitsundays is better than a good day at work. Unless you work in the Whitsundays.

PostPosted: Feb 26th, '11, 02:22 
Midshipman

[quote="ddeas01"]Don't necessarily agree, and it has been around for quite a while, but google 'somali cruises'... :|[/quote]

What don't you agree with - it's not clear... and what has been around for some time? Piracy? Or Somalis killing yachties who can't pay the ransom money?

PostPosted: Feb 26th, '11, 09:29 
CompetentCrew

Have thanks: 1 time
I should have clarified...
I don't necessarily agree that luring and hunting other humans is the answer in Somalia, although I have encountered people that have a range of choices, and they choose the ones that indicate to me that maybe the overall gene pool would be better off without them in it.

I know that pirates have been around for a long time, but I was referring to the website, in case it has come up in previous discussions or posts.

I do not have any answers, and I wish I did. :(

Sunmaid 20, 'Halcyon'
Jackaroo 98 SE
VORG 'Halcyon'

PostPosted: Feb 26th, '11, 12:26 
Midshipman

[/quote]Iggy....For the Christian minorities within the countries[/quote]

I don't see bibles anywhere on Maslow's hierarchy of "needs".
I doubt the sanity of anyone who would put three other lives at risk just to pamper his vanity.
According to other reporters, he accepted two more passengers who boarded in India in the knowledge that they would be travelling through a high risk region in convoy with others.
The skipper then took it on himself to leave the safety of the convoy.
If he did this on the pretext of proselytising, thus putting the lives of his passengers at risk, then we would have reason to doubt his sanity and rationale.

Would it not be cheaper in the long run to subsidise the welfare of the village people where these "pirates" live so that they can survive without preying on others. What else do they live on if other nations have depleted their food stocks with their factory farming methods??

If international finance organisations can be persuaded to control the flow of money gained by "illegal" methods, then that could be a solution. But most arms and ordinance is produced by multinationals.... does this become illegal if you don't condone their use by a purchaser?

Btw, good luck on trying to control the flow of finance - it's an art form in some countries.

Regarding the Somalia Cruises website - surely it is a joke in poor taste?

PostPosted: Feb 28th, '11, 12:05 
Yachtmaster

Have thanks: 255 times
From a member of the bluewater rally:

Skiff approaching at high speed with 4 men aboard (standing up) with head and faces covered. Sets the convoy aflutter as we do the 'close ranks' procedure (which is probably the most dangerous part as every boat wants to be in the middle!). Just fishermen? Or spies? Anyway they stop and look curious for a while then motor off.

Dodgy part of the world ....

PostPosted: Feb 28th, '11, 12:31 
Able Skipper

Have thanks: 98 times
do ww's sell hand grenades :shock:
maybe disguise as bibles :idea:
dont leave home without them :P

PostPosted: Feb 28th, '11, 16:16 
Able Skipper

Have thanks: 22 times
http://www.sailblogs.com/member/sailpalapa/

Hey guys , how lucky were these guys, from what i heard 110 boats left East Timor & 107 odd turned back around the Maldives. A broken prop on one of the boats forced there speed back otherwise they would have been with the Americans.

Cheers
Ken 8)