It is currently May 26th, '18, 14:07

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mar 28th, '12, 12:15 
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Have thanks: 35 times
Having recently completed a two week cruise, I am in the process of cleaning/re-organising the boat. Much as I hate it, I lifted the bilge board and yet again I was stunned by the filth underneath. I only clean this area annually (maybe) as it is difficult to access but I think it could potentially be a health hazard. How long since you looked at yours?

Marie

PostPosted: Mar 28th, '12, 12:18 
Admiral

Have thanks: 497 times
Couple of slices of white bread dragged around will pick up all the stuff. Depending on the smell of the bread afterwards you either throw it away or eat it. :wink:

CCC. Coops Cleaning Clues.

For this message the author Cooper has received thanks: 2 MartinDreaming (Feb 4th, '18, 20:17), Tezza (Feb 4th, '18, 17:28)
  Rating: 10%

PostPosted: Mar 28th, '12, 12:31 
Administrator

Have thanks: 413 times
Sonata 26 does not have a bilge.

The floor is solid so if there is stuff in the bilge you are standing in it :oops:

PostPosted: Mar 28th, '12, 12:42 
Yachtmaster

Have thanks: 262 times
Yum, bilge toast - it'll cure what ail's ya!

PostPosted: Mar 28th, '12, 14:20 
Admiral

Have thanks: 997 times
Cooper wrote:
Couple of slices of white bread dragged around will pick up all the stuff. Depending on the smell of the bread afterwards you either throw it away or eat it. :wink:

That's for fishing boats, and you're supposed to give it to the cats.

A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

PostPosted: Mar 28th, '12, 16:36 
Admiral

Have thanks: 572 times
When we had a ski boat with a big inboard engine, we dropped a small amount of dishwashing detergent in the bilge and let the water sloshing around clean the accumulated muck. We would drain the boat after haul out and she would be remarkably clean.

RL24s are like Sonatas, no bilge.

A bad day in the Whitsundays is better than a good day at work. Unless you work in the Whitsundays.

PostPosted: Mar 28th, '12, 17:23 
Admiral

Have thanks: 497 times
I don't have a cat Zeb, have Phang the foxy, but she don't like bread. :( Being a tight Anus i just tell Vixen that the specks are multigrain. :wink:

Coops.

PostPosted: Mar 28th, '12, 17:28 
Able Skipper

Have thanks: 106 times
The Ultimate 18 has a sealed false floor with an inspection port, which I check on a regular basis for any water ingress - there's never been any. I also clean the hull floor under the cockpit on a regular basis.

Now, you've reminded me of my ocean racing days. In the old style boats with wine glass hull shapes, there was quite a cavity under the floorboards above the long keels. On occasions, when the weather turned nasty, it was not unusual to find a mixture of seawater, diesel fuel, a spilled mug of coffee (laced with rum), the odd string of spaghetti, a bit of last week's mince meat, even battery acid all sloshing around to form a foul-smelling concoction, which then became the catalyst for some crew members to throw-up an even fouler smelling previous dinner.

Couple all that with being wet through (the old foul weather gear was rather useless), add a lack of sleep and there were times when we asked: "Are we having fun yet?" Actually, I thoroughly enjoyed ocean racing - and cruising. Must have been a masochist.

So, yes, keep your bilge dry and clean.

Peter
Ultimate 18 / Jackaroo 3.5

PostPosted: Mar 28th, '12, 17:30 
Able Skipper

Have thanks: 55 times
I have some ply to make the floor flat and it's such a pain to lift that I never do (only when the keel wire needs replacing).

Always seems to be dirty and is always bright white after a quick scrub. Who says you can't hose out the inside of your boat ;)

Sometimes it is safer not to look :lol:

PostPosted: Mar 28th, '12, 18:31 
Able Skipper

Have thanks: 28 times
HAH.I have a timberhull.Checking the bilges for standing water is a MUST.Pity it is so difficult.Cockpit floor screwed down,Cabin floor same and carpetted. Argh! I have only one area for lifting.I leave my ts16 bow up with rags acting as wicks in the drain holes.

PostPosted: Mar 28th, '12, 20:58 
Inshore Skipper

Have thanks: 56 times
HELLICONIA54 wrote:
HAH.I have a timberhull.Checking the bilges for standing water is a MUST.Pity it is so difficult.Cockpit floor screwed down,Cabin floor same and carpetted. Argh! I have only one area for lifting.I leave my ts16 bow up with rags acting as wicks in the drain holes.

Hello Helliconia,
If you can't lift your decks,may I respectfully suggest that it might be a good thing to cut in three X 20 cm Diameter screw-in type inspection ports into the cabin and cockpit decks; one foreward in the cabin and a couple right aft in the cockpit, (either side of the centreline, right above where the water sits when the boat is stored on the 'angle') Use them to sponge any water out and leave them open when the boat isn't in use ( covered of course) so as to get plenty of air circulation through the bilge area. You can even place a container of "Damp Rid" crystals (available at hardware stores and supermarkets) into the bilge if the boat is to be stored for a while, it works a treat, just remember to remove it before you use the boat again! In fact, I find that a tub of this left in the cabin works remarkably well in reducing general dampness when the boat is stored.
I've had a few Hartleys of differing lengths, and one thing they all have in common is that bilge area just in front of the transom being under water or constantly damp when the trailer is left tilted; it has always been a favourite place for the dreaded rot spores to fester and multiply!!

Regards
David

(currently in dry dock receiving some overdue TLC)

PostPosted: Feb 4th, '18, 16:49 
CompetentCrew

Have thanks: 5 times
sailingpeter3 wrote:
The Ultimate 18 has a sealed false floor with an inspection port, which I check on a regular basis for any water ingress - there's never been any. I also clean the hull floor under the cockpit on a regular basis.

Hi Peter. I'm just starting an extensive run of maintenance on my drop keel U18. As it does not currently have an inspection port for the underfloor I am considering adding one so your post is very interesting. Just a couple of questions....

Did you add yours or was it like that out of the factory?
Where is yours located? A photo would be great!

Cheers,
Kim

PostPosted: Feb 4th, '18, 17:35 
Inshore Skipper

Have thanks: 35 times
Now, you've reminded me of my ocean racing days
sailingpeter3 wrote:
Couple all that with being wet through (the old foul weather gear was rather useless), add a lack of sleep and there were times when we asked: "Are we having fun yet?" Actually, I thoroughly enjoyed ocean racing - and cruising. Must have been a masochist.

So, yes, keep your bilge dry and clean.

Peter
Ultimate 18 / Jackaroo 3.5

OMG did you have to remind me . I forgot all about the “other side” after a hard slog with half the crew seasick ,especially overnight.

Last edited by zebedee on Feb 4th, '18, 17:38, edited 1 time in total.
fixed broken quote code

PostPosted: Feb 5th, '18, 08:53 
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Have thanks: 22 times
I have a planked hull which leaks in various places add to it the broken oil line, fuel line, leaking diesel tank and now a leaking exhaust it's one nasty soup down there. every time I almost get it clean something else breaks. actually right at this moment it's pretty good I just cleaned it whilst moving the bilge pump hose off the exhaust outlet to it's own skin fitting so it's not trying to kill us anymore.

PostPosted: Feb 5th, '18, 17:56 
Able Skipper

Have thanks: 106 times
kimbo wrote:
Hi Peter. I'm just starting an extensive run of maintenance on my drop keel U18. As it does not currently have an inspection port for the underfloor I am considering adding one so your post is very interesting. Just a couple of questions....

Did you add yours or was it like that out of the factory?
Where is yours located? A photo would be great!

Cheers,
Kim

Hi Kim.
It actually has two small inspection ports (stainless bungs). They were already in the boat when I bought it 23 years ago. The boat is 39 years old. One is installed each side of the swing keel case, about 20 cms behind the mast post and 6 cms out from the keel case sides. To test if there is water in the bilge I use a wooden dowel - no water has ever appeared on the dowel.

The part number in the Ronstan catalogue is RF734 (page 162). I don't see it in the Whitworths' catalogue, but they have something similar - Cat. No. 13752 (page 133).

I hope you can see the details on the tiny image that we're only allowed to post here.

Peter
Ultimate 18

Attachments:
UY18 Keel Case and Cabin Sole.jpg
UY18 Keel Case and Cabin Sole.jpg [ 126.05 KiB | Viewed 517 times ]

PostPosted: Feb 9th, '18, 08:16 
CompetentCrew

Have thanks: 5 times
Thanks Peter (and sorry for the late response.....I had updated my email address and unwittingly disabled my account). This could be useful and so I may fit something similar.

I actually also have a similar fitting on the outside of my hull on the side of the skeg under the cockpit. Presumably to allow one to drain the open bilge but I have never been able to unscrew it as I suspect it has corroded.

For this message the author Kimbo has received thanks: sailingpeter3 (Feb 9th, '18, 23:17)
  Rating: 5%