It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:19 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:49 pm 
Able Skipper

Have thanks: 114 times
Hi everyone,

I thought it is time for me to stop procrastinating and install slugs to my main sail. At the present I have a bolt rope and it is a bit much to pull the sail down.

I have 9 slugs and they each have the number 29 on them as well as the word Teflon (R). I think the number is the size of the slugs.

So if anyone has any surplus plastic sail slugs or plastic sail shackles in the shed I'll be happy to buy them from you. Please leave a message here I will check daily.

Thanks in advance

http://www.baysidetrailableyachtclub.com
Photo shows Wanton at Nara Inlet, Whitsundays, Qld.

Last edited by Wanton on Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:44 pm 
Admiral

Have thanks: 435 times
Typically the sailmaker fitting them would supply them Ed; I think I paid about $150 for my main including a minor repair.

A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:17 pm 
Able Skipper

Have thanks: 49 times
I did this myself once.

Simply pushed a hot soldeing iron tip thru the sailcloth just aft of the boltrope. Made the hole and sealed the edge of the hole in one step. Seemed to work ok.

Aza

Ross 780 Mk3 #165

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:43 pm 
Able Skipper

Here is how it is done. (see you tube link below) It is straight forward enough. If my sail needed repair than yes get the sailmaker to do it but my sail in OK.

It looks like Whitworths have what I need so off to the city to get some.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:36 pm 
Able Skipper

Due to my natural impatience to get on with it I have purchased the items from Discount Marine in the City. Whitworths did not have the right slugs or shackles. I will photogpraph the process when I get going on this project in the next couple of days or so.

Better do now what should not be put off till tomorrow. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:45 pm 
Administrator

Have thanks: 177 times
Ed,
I was resisting asking, but curiosity, what sort of metal eyelet, and how are you going to do the eyelets.

I try most things, but fitting the eyelets I would have left with a sail maker. Fit the slugs yes, but punching the holes NO.
I've got an old small boat main here you can have to practice on if you want. I have to go to Sunbury on Saturday anyway.

Jeff

For this message the author MoodyBlue has received thanks: Spiderguy (Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:02 pm)
  Rating: 5%

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:29 pm 
Inshore Skipper

Have thanks: 6 times
Hi All
I don't know what all this fuss is about, just open the shackle put the slug on, place the shackle over the bolt rope line up both sides with each other and put the screw in the shackle straight through the sail cloth, the screw point spreads the sail fabric. you don't need eyelets. the clamping effect of the shackle fits snugly against the bolt rope which spreads the load point further along the sail than an eyelet will. the slug on Midget have been like this for over 16 years, not a problem and has been tested in 30 plus knots.
cheers Noel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:50 pm 
Able Skipper

Hi guys. As you probably all know i like to do things myself. I am told it is due to a lifetime employed in management frustrated out of my mind writing letters and managing people. Now that i have the time I want to fix things.

Geoff I am going to use proper sail stainless steel gromets. I am experimenting with a very old Hartley TS 14 storm sail to make sure my procedure and method is ok. But don't let that stop you, I will be happy to see you if you are in the area and have a cuppa with you.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:57 pm 
Able Skipper

The following are photographs of a Grommet I affixed to an old sail bag. As you can see the grommet is satisfactory. It had to be hit many times with an ordinary hammer. Tomorrow I will use a much heavier hammer.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:21 pm 
Able Skipper

Below are photographs of the tools that I used and the end result. I installed 6 gromets 1 metre apart. The top one is only 1 inch below the head board of the sail.

Hole Punch and Grommet Die next to the block of wood I used to punch the hole on.

The small sledge hammer was necessary to install the stainless steel grommets.

Marked hole location using grommet as template.

Placed the Grommet in the hole. The Grommet die is below the sail on the concrete.

It took several blows with the Sledge hammer for the grommet to be set correctly as shown below.

What I learned.

1. Ask lots of questions before you start. I bought too many things really.
2. Parts needed and costs:
  • a. 12mm SS Grommets pack of 10 $12.50, I used 6 of them.
  • b. 2 packs of 4 Plastic shackles cost $12.00, I used 6 of them.
      • c. 2 packs of 4 Plastic slugs cost $16, I used 6 of them.

Total cost $40.50

It was scarey punching the holes through the sails, but I learned given I had the time I can do anything I set my mind to. So can you.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:51 pm 
Able Skipper

Have thanks: 88 times
Well done Ed.

Neil

Best By Farr
Farr 6000

For this message the author Tymadman has received thanks: Wanton (Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:09 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:47 pm 
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Have thanks: 54 times
Hi Ed,
How many slugs are you putting in the main?
I had a Soling main cut down and slugs fitted and from memory they are about 500mm apart. The luff on my main is 7400mm so that makes about 14 or 15 slugs.
When you fit slugs to a sail that previously had a bolt rope you effectively move the luff about 20-30 mm BACK along the boom so you may find that the clew is no longer in the correct position for the pin in the gooseneck that goes through the clew.
The sailmaker fitted slugs that would easily fit in the track. This turned out to be a mistake and I have replaced them with the LARGEST slugs that would fit in the track, both in diameter and length. The smaller ones could move about and "rock" and tended to jamb easily. I also found that the small ones could actually pull out of the track.

I have fitted numerous eyelets to things and have used a hardwood block under the die and found that if you get a suitably sized "SpeedBor" bit and drill a very shallow hole, say about 3mm deep, in the hardwood block it will hold the die in place while you belt it with the lump hammer.

I'm going out to the boat tomorrow so will look at the slugs I fitted and let you know what size they are. i also have a Careel 22 so the mast track should be the same as yours.

After you have done the slugs the next project to tackle is fitting full length battens. I did it not long ago and it has made a huge improvement to my sail shape. It will also mean that my main will last longer.

Cheers
Chris

For this message the author Ukuri has received thanks: Wanton (Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:09 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:05 pm 
Able Skipper

Chris,

I only fitted 6 about 100cm apart. My plan was to fit about 11 but all my mates told me that would be too many. I figured that if I find that 6 is not enough I can simply go back and add another 4 mid way between the bottom 5. I'd be interested to see how many you have on your sail and how you fitted the full battens. Getting the sail material would be a challenge unless I use off cuts from a shredded jib I have somewhere.

I am using the bigger slugs that will not be slack inside the track. I will be returning the excess material and keeping a few items as spares on the boat.

Thanks for looking.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:26 pm 
Able Skipper

Thanks SG, that is a lot of good information. I use a Cunningham loop to hold down the reeled main. It works a treat. With the new set up the last slug is actually between the two reeling points, so the first reef is going to be as usual. If i need to reef to the second point i will need to let one sail slug out of the track.

I agree i will need a stopper to stop the slugs from falling out of the track when i lower the main . There are some different ways of doing this, i will need to see which works best for me.

For this message the author Wanton has received thanks: Spiderguy (Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:18 am)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:40 pm 
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Hi Ed,
I went out to the boat today and had a look at my Main.
As I thought I have 15 slugs on it. The top one is as close to the headboard as possible and the bottom one is about 250mm below the reef point. When the main is reefed the second slug, which is now the bottom slug, is still in the mast track. I use one of these to stop all the slugs sliding out when I lower the main.
Attachment:
75259_lg.jpg
75259_lg.jpg [ 11.19 KiB | Viewed 1776 times ]

As I said earlier the sailmaker fitted 12mm dia X 25 mm slugs. These proved to be too small and I had trouble with them "rocking" and jambing and ocassionally one or more pulled out.
Attachment:
File comment: The original slug is on the left and the bigger one on the right
IMAG0346.JPG
IMAG0346.JPG [ 29.5 KiB | Viewed 1776 times ]

The bigger slugs are 16mm dia X 40mm long and fit the Careel mast track perfectly. You can get them from Whitworths although they dont show up on the website or in their catalogue.

As Spiderguy said it is important that the front reefing eye is held in it's correct position so there is not a tendency for the bottom slug to be pulled out of the track. As you flatten the main by tightening the outhaul or the aft reefing line the main wants to travel aft along the boom. The easiest way to prevent this is to take a short length of Spectra or similar and tie the eyelet back around the front of the mast. You just need to make it tight enough to keep the luff at the reefing eye in the same position it would be in if it had a slug attached and in the sail track.

Fitting slugs has definitely made singlehanded boat handling much easier and safer. I usually fit all the slugs into track at the jetty and put a couple sail ties round it. Once out into open water I just motor up into the breeze, remove the ties and haul up the main. Just the reverse for dropping it. There is no need to have anyone at the mast when raising or lowering. I don't believe it has compromised the sail shape in any way.

As a bonus it enabled me to fully batten the main pretty easily. The battens have improved the shape out of sight and will doubtless make it last longer. The leech is much better supported and when overpowered a bit but not wanting to change down to a smaller heady luffing the front half of the main is not as much of a drama anymore.
The battens control the flogging a lot and the supported leech is still driving the boat.

Let me know if your interested and I'll send you some details.

Cheers
Chris

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:19 pm 
Able Skipper

Have thanks: 39 times
I agree with the reference to a couple of harder slugs at certain points.
I have them on the end of the battens (full length) and at reef points. I have also attached one of the plastic ones to the headboard on the sail using 2mm spectra through the halyard hole

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:30 am 
Able Skipper

Chris I had planned to space the sluggs (grommets) at 50 cm apart but I was talked out of it. At 50 cm apart I would have had about 12 to 13 sluggs.

The size of the slugs I chose fit very snuggly in the mast track. There is not movement by the sluggs in the track. They where the thickest ones available.

Quote:
Wanton, you have put a longer than normal maximum sized metal hank on the very top one haven't you

Spiderguy and Huwp I can understand what you are saying about have a metal or heavier hank at the very top and near the reefing points of the sail. I am going to Discount Marine in the city to day and will have a look to see if they them and also investigate getting a stopper for the track.

Chris I am very interested to learn what you did with your sail. My main still has very good shape and I do not experience flogging but I think it can be improved if it had full battens. By the way, I have to say that sewing the batten pockets will be a job happily handed to my sail maker. I know where to get off the "do it yourself" kick.

Thanks to everyone for their helpful suggestions.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:39 am 
Inshore Skipper

Have thanks: 22 times
Fully battened mains work really well for cruising with a lot less flapping around but possibly could be picked on as being outside class rules for a C22. For racing I think they make it difficult to alter sail shape.
As far as the stopper goes I use a stout adjusible occy strap looped through the spinacker pole fitting on the front of the mast. This supports the slugs and as I feed each slug into the track can be pulled down and the slug put in the track. Easy as. When main is finished with and furled around the boom occy strap goes around that. Cheers.

For this message the author Backstay has received thanks: Spiderguy (Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:59 am)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:09 pm 
Inshore Skipper

Have thanks: 18 times
Backstay, I put in a similar setup to yours (but with normal rope, not occy strap) when I first got the slugs fitted. It works really well so I've kept it.

Just thought I'd let you know you're not the only one!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:14 pm 
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Spiderguy wrote:
Good idea Backstay/Old Beamer.. A plastic cable tie around the mast that you slide up and down over the bottom of the sail track tensioned just the right amount, would do the trick also. This forum rocks !

Saw a great cheap idea in the Impulse buying bin near the checkouts at officeworks on the weekend. They were selling LED lights (with inbuilt batteries and switches) that looked like a ping pong ball with a curly tail designed to be wound around things (like staunchions). Pictures on the packaging showed them with the tail bent like a desk lamp, or the tail wedged into a book so it became a book reading light. Im thinking of deck lights or headsail trimming lights for the Marlay Point, or winding around the stanchion base closest to the outboard as a cockpit light.

PRICE?
If cheap might have to detour back to work via Officeworks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:22 pm 
CompetentCrew

Have thanks: 19 times
Hi,Old beamer, Would it be possible for you to supply me with all the details of your set up on your Ultimate 18, eg how many sail slugs,distance apart and any other good info on how to put it all together.
This was going to be one of my winter projects, i might as well get started early.I sail single handed and getting the main up in windy conditions is a bit annoying.
Any other Ultimate owners who have done this job,would like to have your input as well ,i will need it because i've no idea about this subject.
I'm hoping the sailing season is not finished judging by the BIG change in the weather in the past couple of days .
Still i can't complain had a few three and four day sailing stints , Corner inlet and the Gippsland lakes.
Thanks in advance.
Cheers David.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:26 pm 
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Hi Ed,
Have a look at these sailmaking instruction videos from Sailrite.
http://www.sailritesails.com/videoselections.aspx
I'm sure you will find a lot of useful tips here.

Cheers
Chris

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:44 pm 
Able Skipper

Thanks for the link Chris. The videos are very interesting, but there are some things that take years of experience and learning and after that one can be called an Artisan. I am a tryer but there are things best left to artisans and I think sewing a heap of cloth and shaping it into a sail that works is definitely an art. I am afraid I have to bow out of that challenge.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:58 pm 
Inshore Skipper

Have thanks: 18 times
Hi Granty, will send you a PM.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:45 am 
Able Skipper

Quote:
Ukuri Wrote:
When you fit slugs to a sail that previously had a bolt rope you effectively move the luff about 20-30 mm BACK along the boom so you may find that the clew is no longer in the correct position for the pin in the gooseneck that goes through the clew.

Chris can you tell me how you got over this small issue? Did you just put an appropriate sized shackle to keep the shape right?

Ed