Tassie solo sailor (by the looks) falls into Tamar River

This is for any general chat and information. Posts on specific topics covered in other forums will be moved to keep all forums active and relevant. No political posts will be tolerated, and if you have had your fill of TSP then a political post is an easy way out the door"
CruiserPete
Inshore Skipper

Tassie solo sailor (by the looks) falls into Tamar River

Post by CruiserPete » Apr 22nd, '13, 22:15

Hey all,

Tonight's Tassie news....a Sailor fell off his boat and into the Tamar river after getting knocked overboard by the boom swinging across (another good reason to always wear your safety harness when solo...even on a river)
Problem was he could not get ashore because the shore was encrusted in oysters so he would have cut his feet to pieces...he had to stay in the water until others raised the alarm.

The Mercury Newspaper article:
A SOLO sailor has been rescued by fellow boaters after being knocked from his yacht in the Tamar River.
Police said the 67-year-old Launceston man was sailing off Gravelly Beach – the site of a chemical scare this morning – when the accident happened.
The man was tending to a loose sail when the boom on the main sail swung around and knocked him into the river about 11.50am today.
Sergeant Phil Norton said the man swam to chest-deep water and was rescued by local boat users.
The yachtsman was treated by ambulance officers for cuts and abrasions.

By the look of the sail boat in the news it was small enough to be a trailer sailer but could also have been a small keeler..
Anyone want to own up :oops:

zebedee
Admiral

Re: Tassie solo sailor (by the looks) falls into Tamar River

Post by zebedee » Apr 23rd, '13, 12:25

CruiserPete wrote:...(another good reason to always wear your safety harness when solo...even on a river)
Problem was he could not get ashore because the shore was encrusted in oysters so he would have cut his feet to pieces...
Another good reason to always wear shoes when sailing!

I learnt to sail on Albert Park Lake, where bouyancy vests and shoes were compulsory.
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

Cookiesa
Able Skipper

Post by Cookiesa » Apr 23rd, '13, 19:58

I would like to know why he didn't get back on the boat? Perhaps he couldn't (physically or due to a lack of ladder or similar)

I only saw it in passing but suspect it may be a Hartley TS16 I have seen sailing in the area, my observations are if it was the same boat the skipper seemed quite competant.
8ft Pram Sailing Dingy
19ft "Unknown" Project (Avatar)
25ft Cruising Cat Under Construction

HELLICONIA54
Able Skipper

Post by HELLICONIA54 » Apr 23rd, '13, 20:03

zebedee wrote:
CruiserPete wrote:...(another good reason to always wear your safety harness when solo...even on a river)
Problem was he could not get ashore because the shore was encrusted in oysters so he would have cut his feet to pieces...
Another good reason to always wear shoes when sailing!

I learnt to sail on Albert Park Lake, where bouyancy vests and shoes were compulsory.
Was that so you wouldn't sink too deep into the mud?
HartleyTS16,SWN y MOR.
17' pirogue,Stormbringer,
1968 Flying Dutchman,Kittiwake.

zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee » Apr 23rd, '13, 20:54

zebedee wrote:I learnt to sail on Albert Park Lake, where bouyancy vests and shoes were compulsory.
HELLICONIA54 wrote:Was that so you wouldn't sink too deep into the mud?
Hah!

The mud has no bottom, it just gets more viscous.

Shoes were protection from broken glass, etc, in the mud, but also from hard surfaces in the boat. To this day I always sail in shoes.
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

MargGannet
Yachtmaster

Post by MargGannet » Apr 23rd, '13, 20:59

Ditto Graham, I learnt the rule at Albert Park too...

Lots of sharps on the bottom there, even if you can stand up in the lake!

And I too wear shoes on the boat - most of the time anyway... Very easy to stub a toe on a cleat or other fitting - have had a couple which probably should have been x-rayed!!!

Edit to add: There are lots of hazards in clear and murky water. Last summer I picked up an intact Crown bottle in the shallows (clear water) on Raymond Island on New Years morning. Another few feet one way or the other and the boat would have smashed it...

And sailing at Lake Macquarie I believe means you have to watch out for razor clams in the shallows - nasty beasties indeed!!!
Marg
Special Edition NX 25,
LC 80 series
Bayswater North, Vic

Return to “General”