Anchoring Etiquette

For our friends who no longer are able to have a trailer under their Yacht ;-) and we all use a mast and sails at the end of the day (or start of the day!!)
ozsailer
Able Skipper

Anchoring Etiquette

Post by ozsailer » Aug 22nd, '16, 23:07

Hell all from Horshoe Bay off Magnetic Island,
Sue and I have been cruising north on sunshine this year. We left Urangan in May and have slowing been cruising up the coast. One of the things that is a standard this year is an increasing lack of etiquette at anchorages be it a yacht or power boat.
For instance tonight a couple of gents arrived late in the afternoon anchored not to far away, jumped in their dinghy and have not returned. Cant see the boat at all as they have left no lights on what so ever. They did not appear to concerned in how they set the anchor and I am now wondering is it the case they cant find their boat due to it being so dark and no lights on their boat.
The other issue I am seeing is the increasing amount of people with power generators. To a tee everyone I have seen on this trip to date drag the dam thing to the bow of their boat. Start it up and then disapear inside where they wont here it running. Troule is the noise rumbles through the anchorage keeping everyone else inside their boats. There is sailboat with wind generator (noisy), solar panels but he still runs his generator a couple of hours each night. He is anchored over a hundred metres aways and it has to be the noisiest generator on the market. If people feel they have to have a genny why is their a need for them to place it as far as possilbe from their comfort yet expect others to cope with the noise.
The other thing we are now seeing is an awful habit of anchoring as close as possible to boats despite massive areas of places to anchor. We witnessed an incident where a 60 foot cruising catamaran anchored within the swinging scope of another large catamaran. That owner very nicely requested they move a bit further away as they would hit if on different swings. The big catamaran owner then attempted to reverse back further with the anchor still down. I would not have believed it if I did not witness it myself as he reversed at speed attempting to relocate by pulling his anchor backwards. The strain was so great he snapped his bridle and then panicked when his winch overran the gears pulling out metres and metres of chain.
Having done this later in the night this particular catamaran owner decided that he would use a laser cannon to do an impromptu laser display on the anchored boats. Not to many people were impressed, with the show cut short by a very cranky boaty lighting up the offending boat with an extrely bright search light and a few choice words. The larger cat snuck out of the anchorage early in the morning much to the delight of everyone around.
So my question is, what happened to good old fashioned anchoring etiquette.
Sue and Greg
Lagoon 440
Lake Macquarie NSW Aus

impulse
Able Skipper

Re: Anchoring Etiquette

Post by impulse » Aug 22nd, '16, 23:21

Went the same way as good old fashioned human nature I feel. :evil:
Cheers Robin.

Robin & Terry.
RL28 - QE3.

Furstin
Yachtmaster

Post by Furstin » Aug 22nd, '16, 23:26

Nothing says **** off like a million candle spotty :-)

You need to Easter or Christmas in Cowan mate, I had an argument with one bloke about who was right re proximity, he still protested despite my point culminating in "but I'm on a mooring ya dope!"

Pet hate: Wind gennys in a marina. Wt hell!
Borrman 38.

Xsailors
Midshipman

Post by Xsailors » Aug 24th, '16, 10:56

Know exactly what you mean! When we lived on the NSW central coast we went by boat to Gosford Sailing Club for dinner. Sailed back to our mooring to discover some moron in a large stinky anchored almost on top of our mooring. It was windy and managed to pick the mooring up with a fair bit of difficulty due to this idiot, who then proceeded to yell threats about punching my husbands nose because we were too close to his boat! Well, what do you expect when you anchor on top of a mooring! After a fair bit of mutual yelling, he moved away but honestly!

Mojo
Able Skipper

Post by Mojo » Aug 24th, '16, 20:08

On a positive note, how great is Horseshoe Bay and Magnetic Island in general. Top spot

Have fun

Cheers
Mojo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Peter Yates
Admiral

Post by Peter Yates » Aug 25th, '16, 10:37

There was a good post years ago about jetty etiquette. Appears that a large stink boat parked at the jetty in peaceful Bunga Arm on the Gippsland Lakes and proceeded to run out a long lead and positioned his noisy genny next to a yacht rather than near his own boat. The yachty retaliated by snipping the electric cable.
Peter Y

Investigator 563 "Tricksy"
"Myf" the skiff

impulse
Able Skipper

Post by impulse » Aug 25th, '16, 10:43

The mind boggles.
Cheers Robin.

Robin & Terry.
RL28 - QE3.

ozsailer
Able Skipper

Post by ozsailer » Aug 25th, '16, 16:32

Funny, I have had the generator caper done to us on Lake Macquarie while on one of the jetty's. Guy put his Generator right next to our boat and ran a 40 metre extension cable to his boat. In an extremely polite tone I suggested that his generator might be better placed elsewhere as they dont like working in salt water. He could not understand why people were getting so upset but he knew enough not to run it near his boat. He ended not running his genny.
Sue and Greg
Lagoon 440
Lake Macquarie NSW Aus

Furstin
Yachtmaster

Post by Furstin » Aug 26th, '16, 14:32

You haven't heard of the generator fire triangle then? Fuel, spark and urine?

A small cruiser in The Basin one Friday night was running the Honda on his bow at about Sundowners, no one had yelled abuse or anything, but when it was turned off there was a chorus of applause from all around. His Mrs shrank about 2ft down and gave him more grief than we ever could.
Borrman 38.

PaulS
Able Skipper

Post by PaulS » Aug 26th, '16, 15:25

all in an obsession to have a fridge on board I bet ........ don't get me started!

PaulS
BETTER DROWNED THAN DUFFERS IF NOT DUFFERS WON'T DROWN
South Gippsland Victoria

Furstin
Yachtmaster

Post by Furstin » Aug 27th, '16, 10:32

No fridge, just the blue underwater led lights.... essential kit.
Borrman 38.

Return to “DARK SIDERS (Keel Boats)”