Information on Bar crossing at Ballina

For our friends who no longer are able to have a trailer under their Yacht ;-) and we all use a mast and sails at the end of the day (or start of the day!!)
ozsailer
Able Skipper

Information on Bar crossing at Ballina

Post by ozsailer » Oct 10th, '16, 11:52

Hello everyone,
after our trip north this year I am preparing a passage plan for heading south. As Coffs Harbour Marina is closed to till further notice I am considering smaller trips to stage our trip. Can anyone assist me on information on the Ballina Bar, depths, anchorages etc.
Sue and Greg
Lagoon 440
Lake Macquarie NSW Aus

Furstin
Yachtmaster

Re: Information on Bar crossing at Ballina

Post by Furstin » Oct 13th, '16, 12:03

Just cus the marinas closed doesn't preclude Coffs? But to answer your question, no not done it.
Borrman 38.

Cooper
Admiral

Post by Cooper » Oct 13th, '16, 12:34

Don't have any real statistical info but can go and look at it for you. :lol: It's only 100 klms away and a nice ride/drive depending on the day. The "marina" is very average with a few run down boats in there, with no facilities as such, and is really best described as a fishing harbour. Nothing to recommend it to a cruising yottie for me.

Coops.
Some people are like clouds. When they go away it makes the day seem brighter.

ozsailer
Able Skipper

Post by ozsailer » Oct 13th, '16, 17:40

Hi Furstin, not precluding Coffs. Normally we do an overnighter from the Seaway to Coffs but now with the marina closed it really limits the capabilities of Coffs as an anchorage. I understand to counter the closure of the marina a whole two moorings have been placed in the harbour. That will certainly cater to the hundreds of cruisers who ply the coast and if there is any east in the wind its not going to be a very comfortable nights sleep and if the weather turns nasty you have to continue on to Port Macquarie or Camden Haven.

I have anchored in the bay and had a very comfortable time there "but" when its rolling in, its just not the place to be. From what I hear the marina is being rebuilt but nothing is expected to open until Christmas at the earliest.
Sue and Greg
Lagoon 440
Lake Macquarie NSW Aus

Shaun
Inshore Skipper

Post by Shaun » Oct 14th, '16, 11:42

Everything I have read & seen on Ballina Bar crossing, is its not very appealing.
http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/maritime/usin ... llina.html , I have never seriously entertained the idea of stopping at Ballina. Have sailed past very close & taken a look, didn't look good.
Yamba Bar I thought was good on the right tide.
Trial Bay is very tenable even in a Northerly (NE better), if entry is in daylight & you can tuck right in close to the 3 or 4 big yellow 'vessel's prohibited, past this point' buoys. in about 1.8m.
cheers

callaghans1
Midshipman

Post by callaghans1 » Dec 8th, '16, 15:05

I worked for a season on a trawler out of Ballina, and my advice is that this bar would be the last on my list. There is no headland or island to protect it and it is entirely open to the elements with rapidly shifting channels and an unpredictable nature in general. Several times we had green water over the wheelhouse from a seemingly calm sea. Avoid it if you can. Sorry I can't be more positive - but many bad past experiences influence my reply.
Najad 34, Boomerang 20. several kayaks, camp followers and dogs.

ozsailer
Able Skipper

Post by ozsailer » Dec 12th, '16, 16:24

Hello all,'
many thanks for the replies. We finally bought Sunshine home to Lake Macquarie yesterday. We bypassed Ballina and ended up calling into Yamba, Coffs Harbour, Port Macquarie and Pt Stephens. Of all the bars the most interesting was our home bar at Swansea. We crossed without issue but a smaller mono hull elected to continue to Newcastle. Local knowledge assisted us in our crossing and I take my hat off to the mono owner who made the decision to continue on to Newcastle ( an all weather entrance) as he had not crossed the bar previously and was not confident to do the same.
Sue and Greg
Lagoon 440
Lake Macquarie NSW Aus

Furstin
Yachtmaster

Post by Furstin » Dec 13th, '16, 07:59

Tucked up home for Christmas! Nice!
Borrman 38.

ozsailer
Able Skipper

Post by ozsailer » Dec 13th, '16, 10:59

Hi Furstin, Tucked up home and now removing three years of cruising gear off the boat :roll: . We are planning on cruising down to Pittwater at the end of February and first week in March. Hopefully catch up with you somewhere.
Sue and Greg
Lagoon 440
Lake Macquarie NSW Aus

Furstin
Yachtmaster

Post by Furstin » Dec 13th, '16, 19:39

We ought to be up the lake in early Feb too....
Borrman 38.

ozsailer
Able Skipper

Post by ozsailer » Dec 13th, '16, 21:55

Great. Let us know when your up. Dredging of the channel is about to begin as well.
Sue and Greg
Lagoon 440
Lake Macquarie NSW Aus

Furstin
Yachtmaster

Post by Furstin » Dec 13th, '16, 23:22

2.3 we need it. Have experienced the assistance and don't want that. Will do.
Probably broughton after if you are restless. MnL.
Borrman 38.

Return to “DARK SIDERS (Keel Boats)”