Passage north

For our friends who no longer are able to have a trailer under their Yacht ;-) and we all use a mast and sails at the end of the day (or start of the day!!)
Furstin
Yachtmaster

Re: Passage north

Post by Furstin » May 23rd, '17, 19:36

Ok, so that's the outside, but a nice spot too. Good place to set off from early tomorrow. If you are staying an extra night there's the barrenjoey walk or walk up to the aboriginal rock art up the basin hill.
Borrman 38.

madmission
Able Skipper

Post by madmission » May 23rd, '17, 20:47

Amazing cruising grounds . Only in the pittwater but enough to wet the appetite will definately be bringing the b20 up here. We did a lap of scotland island and heading back to the basin the south shore remided me of lake mac and the north the witsundays all in one .Our neighbouring cruiser bought us over some leather jacket and we had good old chat they had a Niad but had before the b20 "checkmate" ....small world
Heading off dawn tomorrow forecast better for passage making perhaps port stephens tomorrow night.

Furstin
Yachtmaster

Post by Furstin » May 24th, '17, 07:35

Yes, the peace round cowan crk this time of year is lovely.
I think last time I did PS to Syd harb in 14 hours, leaving at 4am.
Nice to have day hop options, lake Mac tonight, just stay on the Swansea bridge mooring overnight, then broughton tomorrow- saves going in and out of PS.
Borrman 38.

madmission
Able Skipper

Post by madmission » May 24th, '17, 09:26

Thanks matt broughton was nowhere in the plan bu t looks like a good option for tonight we are looking to make some miles beore WIND swings and fades friday.

Amended plan express to coffs harbour daylight 2 hrs on 2 off overnight 3 hr watches. 227 nm <40 hrs and newcastle shipping area through dayi
Light hours seems good plan :)

madmission
Able Skipper

Post by madmission » May 24th, '17, 11:25

Making the most ImageImage

Furstin
Yachtmaster

Post by Furstin » May 24th, '17, 15:48

Listen to the Newcastle 'shipping' on the vhf.... sounds like a thousand filipino's exchanging recipes! Cus it is!

Broughton: Esmeralda in a northerly has a few moorings, but my favourite spot is Coalshaft on the western side. Don't like Broughton in a southerly, theres a lovely beach on the north side, but if theres any northerly set left over its pretty uncomfortable.

Grab a beer at Coffs Fisho's (deep sea fishing club) up on the headland - bloody brilliant view.

Enjoy!
M.
Borrman 38.

madmission
Able Skipper

Post by madmission » May 24th, '17, 16:55

Making good time put tuck in and still surfing up mid 9 's if it continues should have us in under 24 hrs from now

Furstin
Yachtmaster

Post by Furstin » May 25th, '17, 07:22

Borrman 38.

madmission
Able Skipper

Post by madmission » May 25th, '17, 09:53

With increasing south westerly , fading light and uncomfortable seaway skippers call to overnight at port stephens comfortable night in a pen after a good run of 78 nm he had no argument from me.
Early start and just passed broughten island its a very pretty group and colourful with the morning sun lighting it up.
The passage continues and looks likely it will finish for me at southport so wide bay bar will have to wait for another dayImage

madmission
Able Skipper

Post by madmission » May 29th, '17, 08:57

After day and overnight passage of 160 nm from port stephens we arrived in coffs harbour . Layed over there along with 4 - 5 other cruisers headding north made happy hour at the chyc and took in a great live act ast the peir hotel. Layed low for sat and sunday doing a few walks preping the boat and watching some movies.
The general consensus among the cruisers was to wait for favourable breeze.
So dropped the lines at 6 am and set sail for southport , a passage just on 150 nm , currently 16 kts apparent beam on making high 7 kts sog . Winds are expected to change throughout the next 24 hrs fading in the early hours of tomorrow.
I have a flight booked for Wednesday so that will be the end of my trip , perhaps will fill in the goldcoast to wide bay some other time.Image

madmission
Able Skipper

Post by madmission » Jun 3rd, '17, 06:26

The passage from coffs to southport was a fast one with wind from sou east gusting to 22 kts through the night and a reasonable swell had us surfing along hitting speeds of 9 and above for many hours , wind change to sou west in early hours kept our progress above expectatation with the result arrived at gold coast seaway at dawn. The passage was little over 24 hours it was very difficult to get any sleep off watch with the boat moving around so much.
So after 16 days my trip came to an end , it was a bit of a shock leaving the warmth of the goldcoast and landing at avalon and victorias cold conditions but did demonstrate the distance we travelled.
It was a very different experience from last years QLD trip and i can really appreciate the advantage a ts has by being able to get to distant cruising grounds relatively quickly as opposed to sailing to them. Although its important to understand its not always the destination but the journey thats important.
The shared experience and responsibility you have with and for your fellow crew creates special bonds that last a lifetime , priceless. :lol:

Return to “DARK SIDERS (Keel Boats)”