Insurance - New restrictions

For our friends who no longer are able to have a trailer under their Yacht ;-) and we all use a mast and sails at the end of the day (or start of the day!!)
ozsailer
Able Skipper

Insurance - New restrictions

Post by ozsailer » Mar 26th, '18, 16:08

Hello all,
We are in the throws of chasing insurance quotes and to be quite frank its getting very very restrictive for cruising sailers. We were with Topsail insurance who have been very good to date but the new policy had me gasping. In all our past insurance policies we were always covered for cyclones provided we made every effort to protect the vessel and document what was undertaken. The excess did increase in these situations to 10% the value of the vessel but I beleiveed this was fair given the circumstances.
Normally our boat would be on home waters in NSW and not subject to risk during cyclone season but during one season we left our boat in a "cyclone" rated marina in the Whitsundays knowing we were sufficiently secure in the event of a cyclone.
This year everything has changed. Topsail are not insuring any vessel for cyclone damage regardless be it cyclone season or not. Nil, zip, nada. Any damage occasioned to a vessel will not be covered. I take it this also related to any damage that is caused by your vessel to any other vessel or marina.
While this will not stop our cruising it will restrict how far we now go north in case we have to bolt south in case of an out of season cyclone. Needless worry, I dont think so just a case of weighing up the risks.
I am checking with Club Marine and also other main stream insurers to see if this is happeing elsewhwere as I am led to beleive it is.
I know people who reside in marinas in FNQ and if this proves correct they will not be insured during a cyclone. if no insurance is a marina going to continue to allow them to stay . Points to ponder.
Sue and Greg
Lagoon 440
Lake Macquarie NSW Aus

Slammin
Able Skipper

Re: Insurance - New restrictions

Post by Slammin » Mar 26th, '18, 17:12

Ouch, have heard good reports about this.
http://www.pantaenius.com.au/en/home.html?adid=1559
[align=center]Seaway 25 - Time After Time[/align]
[align=center]LC 80 series 97[/align]
[align=center]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seaway_25[/align]

PaulS
Able Skipper

Post by PaulS » Mar 27th, '18, 13:55

Like houses not insured for flood or sea level rise this will further drive the price of used boats down, won't it???

Paul
BETTER DROWNED THAN DUFFERS IF NOT DUFFERS WON'T DROWN
South Gippsland Victoria

ozsailer
Able Skipper

Post by ozsailer » Apr 21st, '18, 19:40

After much searching and reviewing of offers we found a lot of differences with Insuarnce policies. Some policies will now just not cover for cyclones full stop. What we found with the ones who will not cover are underwritten buy companies located overseas such as Lloyds. I found that companies that have underwriters elsewhere are still prepared to offer coverage but normally at an increased excess, some as high as thirty percent value of the boat. The other item of concern is that some insurance companies are now putting a far increased excess if a vessel is damaged by lightening. Pataneus quoted us 30 percent exess on the cost of repair. Thats a big hit either way.
We ended up going back to Topsail. While they do not cover us for cyclone damage above 25 degrees South (just south of Bundaberg) we are covered for everything else with a standard excess of $2000 for any damage including lightening. We felt that this will not effect our current cruising as we will be up north out of season and if an out of season cyclone starts to form we are just going to scamper south out of the way.
Sue and Greg
Lagoon 440
Lake Macquarie NSW Aus

Return to “DARK SIDERS (Keel Boats)”