It is currently Apr 27th, '18, 11:38

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Cruising with dogs
PostPosted: Mar 23rd, '18, 20:55 
Inshore Skipper

Have thanks: 13 times
Nice photo Wanton. The weather is not like that here. Still E,SE 20 K or better. Calm this evening for the first time. The mozzies seem to prefer it like this, too. This is our third night in the start of a blind channel about 500m west of the ferry terminal. About half of the passenger ferries use an adjacent channel, but it is too shallow for the vehicle ferries. DD is getting used to the wash (at last), but still gets nervious. Likes going ashore though, 4 times today, the little electric motor on the dinghy is great. Will do a final shop at the IGA tomorrow and plan to head south again Sunday. Nice sunset tonight, so hope the old saying is true.
Attachment:
20180323_180457-1024x576a.jpg
20180323_180457-1024x576a.jpg [ 126.73 KiB | Viewed 333 times ]

Peter

"Peridòt", 6.0m Jim Young, and 05 Jeep Renegade Cherokee

PostPosted: Mar 25th, '18, 08:38 
Inshore Skipper

Have thanks: 32 times
Hey Peter,
You have no doubt thought of this but with Comm Games being on GC in April I imagine the waterways will be chockers and security everywhere.

PostPosted: Mar 25th, '18, 21:18 
Inshore Skipper

Hi Tezza, we need to find somewhere for Easter first, plan to try Tipplers Passage. Will go back to Bums Bay after that and plan to pull out there. Will see how it goes. Nice weather at the moment, sailed over to Weinam Creek yesterday, then to NW corner of Macleay Is for the night. Nice there, clean water, sheltered anchorage but shallow inshore. Back at Russel Is tonight for a last shop. Maybe Calypso Bay Marina Tues night.
Peter

PostPosted: Mar 28th, '18, 14:42 
Inshore Skipper

Monday was different. Light wind but hot sun so cruised south along the Main Channel west of Russell Is. Saw about a dozen tinnies ahead, milling around like bees around a hive. They were peering at there sounders, moving a bit, then casting 12ft nets. One came up alongside and gave us a half bucket of banana prawns. Wonderful Wife knew exactly what to do with those.
Attachment:
IMG_3565_crop_387x182a.JPG
IMG_3565_crop_387x182a.JPG [ 64.04 KiB | Viewed 269 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_3572-3-648x484a.JPG
IMG_3572-3-648x484a.JPG [ 88.86 KiB | Viewed 269 times ]

Cruised on up the channel against the current, looked for a place to anchor for lunch. Passed the boat ramp at Cabbage Tree Point, and met private pontoons, right along the shore as far as Horizon Shores Marina. Forecast for a change from the light northerly we had been enjoying to fresh southerly so found a sheltered visitor berth, $47 a night. Luxury.
Peter

PostPosted: Mar 28th, '18, 15:44 
Inshore Skipper

Still in that sheltered visitors' berth, third night coming up. Still fresh SE and that would be on the nose. Not much rain, but very hot and humid with lots of mozzies and sandflies. Should be able to go tomorrow, DD will be glad of a swim to cool down. Not much to do here, except walk the dog. Just a cafe and botique chandlery at the marina office. Very few live-aboards here compared to Kawana Waters, so very few to talk to. Lots of commercial, at least 20 TS's in mast up storage, but the marina holds mostly power-boats and cats, more suited to the type of water around here. Nearest general store is at Cabbage tree Point, 3Km north. Hope we can catch some fish over Easter.
Peter
Attachment:
20180328_140602-640x360a.jpg
20180328_140602-640x360a.jpg [ 70.03 KiB | Viewed 267 times ]

PostPosted: Mar 29th, '18, 12:33 
Inshore Skipper

I’m not down there over Easter/Comm Games but looking at Willy the weather has not been kind to you.
Hopefully Friday onward will be better.
If you have not already left in front of the Jacobs Well VMR is a small jetty and to the left in photo past the protected swim area a few TS lift keels and Park up near the sand. The town is only a couple of hundred metres away.
Pub , IGA , great bread shop , general store , pharmacy.

Attachments:
C9CB7EA3-A9AF-4D04-B741-BA42AE0BF930.jpeg
C9CB7EA3-A9AF-4D04-B741-BA42AE0BF930.jpeg [ 45.68 KiB | Viewed 255 times ]

PostPosted: Mar 29th, '18, 20:52 
Inshore Skipper

Hi Tezza. Thanks for that. The owners of the big cat by us in my last photo gave us a ride in to Jacobs Well this morning in their car. Looked at the area you mention, not a good option in the current weather. Did the shopping, so good for Easter. Wonderful Wife wanted to move on so we pushed the wind and the tide this afternoon, went into Calypso Bay marina, no overnight berths there. Visitor berths at the pub, a bit exposed today. Had a look in the canal, saw your boat, no wonder you are nervous about berthing, it is a bit tight, and exposed in these conditions.

We have anchored about 1 K north of the VMR, inshore from the houseboats and settling in for a quiet night. Breeze has dropped, a sandy beach for DD (at last), will move on in the morning with the tide in the right direction. Might see you next time.
Peter

Edit: I spoke too soon. 8pm and another rain squall.
Peter

PostPosted: Mar 30th, '18, 19:05 
CompetentCrew

Have thanks: 12 times
https://youtu.be/B4xngQd6cts

Here is a little video of me with my cattle dog Millie and one of my kids. Millie doesn't mind sailing but likes the destinations more. She likes to be right next to someone when on the boat and I sometimes sense that she is not sure where the safest place is. I have a life jacket for her but sometimes it is just too damn hot up here. The worst thing is the hair. I can only say that because she has not yet pooped on the carpet. They are good to have on the boat for company though.

Sent from my SM-N920F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mar 30th, '18, 19:43 
Inshore Skipper

Peridot wrote:
Hi Tezza. Thanks for that. The owners of the big cat by us in my last photo gave us a ride in to Jacobs Well this morning in their car. Looked at the area you mention, not a good option in the current weather. Did the shopping, so good for Easter. Wonderful Wife wanted to move on so we pushed the wind and the tide this afternoon, went into Calypso Bay marina, no overnight berths there. Visitor berths at the pub, a bit exposed today. Had a look in the canal, saw your boat, no wonder you are nervous about berthing, it is a bit tight, and exposed in these conditions.

We have anchored about 1 K north of the VMR, inshore from the houseboats and settling in for a quiet night. Breeze has dropped, a sandy beach for DD (at last), will move on in the morning with the tide in the right direction. Might see you next time.
Peter

Edit: I spoke too soon. 8pm and another rain squall.
Peter

I’m glad someone took you in to shop and am disappointed I’m not down there.
I have attached changes to the waterways on the GC over Comm Games Fyr.
At least today was half decent for you. Next time I’ll arrange for perfect weather.
Ha so you saw my little Mango behind the Riv.
Daughter can’t understand why I have problem docking in SE above
17kn with outgoing tide when hubby can dock theirs no issue. Yea right twin Cummins ,bow and stern thrusters etc.etc.
Guaranteed good sailing weather from today.
https://www.getsetforthegames.com/changes-waterways
Terry

PostPosted: Mar 30th, '18, 20:49 
Inshore Skipper

Hi Scott, thanks for that. I think video might be my next challenge. What do you use for filming ?

Hi Tezza, thanks for all the details. It appears from the fine print that our plans will not be affected.
Weather not just the best for cruising, but we are at Dux Anchorage, about as far as we can get from the main channel so not too much rolling. Surprised how quiet it is here, most boats are by the restaurant, etc. Had a look at the anchorage known as The Bedroom this morning, surprised to see so many tents ashore. Not a big area and not much depth. Did not want to park outside someones tent.

Still getting the odd rain squall, mostly at night, but could be more tomorrow.
Damn Dog likes having a beach again, and a cool-down in nice clean water.
Peter

PostPosted: Apr 15th, '18, 18:22 
CompetentCrew

Have thanks: 12 times
Peridot wrote:
Hi Scott, thanks for that. I think video might be my next challenge. What do you use for filming ?

Hi Tezza, thanks for all the details. It appears from the fine print that our plans will not be affected.
Weather not just the best for cruising, but we are at Dux Anchorage, about as far as we can get from the main channel so not too much rolling. Surprised how quiet it is here, most boats are by the restaurant, etc. Had a look at the anchorage known as The Bedroom this morning, surprised to see so many tents ashore. Not a big area and not much depth. Did not want to park outside someones tent.

Still getting the odd rain squall, mostly at night, but could be more tomorrow.
Damn Dog likes having a beach again, and a cool-down in nice clean water.
Peter
Missus bought me a gopro hero 4 for Christmas a few years ago. Its not bad, my only complaint is the battery life. I don't have any experience with other types but some have GPS and speed display, with GPS the battery life might be terrible though.
I got my son a 50 dollar el cheapo from geek.com and it actually seems ok but I did need to get a larger capacity battery for it. I would recommend one if you are not yet committed to making videos as gopro's are expensive and after the first year or so I hardly use mine.

Sent from my SM-N920F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Apr 16th, '18, 23:57 
Inshore Skipper

Hi Scott. Have just bought another jib, so the go-pro may have to wait a while. Maybe I could get our son to bring one of his old ones when he comes over from NZ late May. He is right into kayak fishing so probably has a few upgrades by now. By the way, I enjoyed your posts on cruising the Whitsundays, quite ambititious, but successful anyway.
Peter

PostPosted: Apr 26th, '18, 21:53 
Inshore Skipper

I have been trying to post a wrapup of our 2 weeks on the Broadwater, but something always goes wrong, including losing my login. It may be me, my tired tablet, or the website, but in the short term I regret to say I will become another of Wanton's declining patronage. I will go back to being a lurker.
Peter