Capricorn Island Trip 2014

Get Togethers, and interesting (for this category) topics.
Tumbleweed
Yachtmaster

Capricorn Island Trip 2014

Post by Tumbleweed » Apr 14th, '14, 20:51

Hi,

I am planning on doing a trip from Rosslyn Bay to hopefully Lady Musgrave Island then island/reef hop my way back. Lady Musgrave, Fitzroy Lagoon, North West, Great Keppel.

Probably looking at October time.

Anyone interested in coming along? I estimate a 9 day trip. 2 weekends and the week. The destinations may be adapted to suit weather etc.

Anyway leave a note here or PM me if you may be interested. We can work on finer details later.
--
RL28 "Windale" Located in Yeppoon, QLD

I used to have ambitions and then I started sailing, now everything else just seems pointless.......(Bixler McClure)

mat stirling
Able Skipper

Re: Capricorn Island Trip 2014

Post by mat stirling » Apr 24th, '14, 20:47

Tumbleweed,

You should tow up to mackay in next school holidays and join us on cruise to whitsundays.

Mat
Castle 650 "Knight Rider"
Mackay

Tumbleweed
Yachtmaster

Post by Tumbleweed » Apr 24th, '14, 21:43

Mat,

good idea but I am not sure my trailer would be up to the task. It's basically a yard trailer until I get it upgraded. I could sail up :)

We are thinking of a charter up that way in the holidays. We would love a cat one day so might hire one to try out the cat lifestyle. Would love to catch up if we do :)

cheers

alister

mat stirling
Able Skipper

Post by mat stirling » Apr 25th, '14, 12:33

No worries Alister.

In July school holidays the family and I will either tow to townsville and spend a week sailing around maggie and palm islands or sail from mackay to airlie beach. Second of these options is a great trip. Nice long 25NM passages with wind from astern. After 3 or 4 cruisey days it's nice to drop into hamilton island for $60 berth fee and have the run of the resort.

Following that planning a boys sail from mackay to airlie just before airlie beach race week.
Would leave about Sunday 2nd august. May enter race week if crew are interested in helping pay for entry.

If anyone is up around mackay at those times and wants to catch up let me know.
Hoping to catch up with Dutchy in his new Noelex on one of those trips.

Mat
Castle 650 "Knight Rider"
Mackay

court750
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by court750 » Apr 27th, '14, 14:23

If all goes well, Sandpiper will be in the area Sept/Oct. Any chance to sail in company with local knowledge will be most welcome. We'll keep an eye on this thread.
Terry on Sandpiper (a Court 750), Perth WA

Tumbleweed
Yachtmaster

Post by Tumbleweed » Apr 27th, '14, 18:55

court750 wrote:If all goes well, Sandpiper will be in the area Sept/Oct. Any chance to sail in company with local knowledge will be most welcome. We'll keep an eye on this thread.
My local knowledge runs out about 20km out to sea from here. I do hope to get a couple of boats from the local yacht club interested as well, they have the knowledge :)

I hope it all pans out would be a fun trip.

:)

slainte
Able Skipper

Post by slainte » Apr 27th, '14, 19:11

100 magic miles is all you need tumbleweed, oh and good weather. We will be up there next Sunday ;-)

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

Tumbleweed
Yachtmaster

Post by Tumbleweed » Apr 27th, '14, 19:56

are you talking about the capricorn group or whitsundays?
I have Noel Patricks Cruise the Curtis Coast, that's our bible round here.
Last edited by Tumbleweed on Apr 27th, '14, 20:37, edited 1 time in total.

slainte
Able Skipper

Post by slainte » Apr 27th, '14, 20:05

Apologies, didn't read correct. On the phone and missed first post

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

Cruiser
Able Skipper

Post by Cruiser » Apr 28th, '14, 16:54

Not sure if you've seen this thread/video from the past - TSP member.
http://www.trailersailerplace.com.au/ph ... t=musgrave
That bit of coast between Bundaberg & Gladstone is reasonably exposed, so best to pick your weather. Sounds like a great trip - enjoy.
MacGregor 26S "Myuna"

Tumbleweed
Yachtmaster

Post by Tumbleweed » Apr 28th, '14, 20:49

Cruiser wrote:Not sure if you've seen this thread/video from the past - TSP member.
http://www.trailersailerplace.com.au/ph ... t=musgrave
That bit of coast between Bundaberg & Gladstone is reasonably exposed, so best to pick your weather. Sounds like a great trip - enjoy.
Thanks for the link, I actually looked at that a while back, sort of what got me interested in heading out there as well as the videos from Simon Carter https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFF_e ... BK34DGfIZg and discussions with Anne and Bosun Bob. Just getting my boat up to scratch safety wise and I am lucky that I can basically go whenever I want, so can pick the weather window. Once you get out there you can shelter up and reef/island hop back north so shouldn't be too much of a drama.

Cruiser
Able Skipper

Post by Cruiser » Apr 28th, '14, 22:04

Tumbleweed wrote:.............. Once you get out there you can shelter up and reef/island hop back north so shouldn't be too much of a drama.
Yes, if things happened to go really pear-shaped you could sail back into Gladstone and go up through the narrows to get back to Yeppoon - and have a good feed of mud crabs on the way :) . Mind you your 28 should be able to handle a reasonable blow - nice boat.
MacGregor 26S "Myuna"

Return to “Just Cruising”