It is currently Jun 20th, '18, 21:03

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sep 30th, '11, 21:53 
Admiral

Have thanks: 305 times
I know the winch topic has been well covered, but I have some more silly questions to ask.

My ancient Powerwinch 912 only just manages to retrieve my SC25. I have the right wiring, a double purchase, keep the engine running, reasonably good rollers and the ramp is not steep. I play the clutch as required but it still struggles.

I think the clutch is actually OK but can an old motor be "tired" electrically?

I can get a brand new one delivered for $785 with the bonus of a remote. I haven't got the time before our imminent lakes holiday nor the expertise to try to upgrade the old one. My thought was to buy the new one as some sort of guarantee that I won't get caught out on the steeper ramps at the lakes and ruin our trip and then sell my old one to offset the cost.

Does the new model still fit the 3 keyhole lugs on the winch post as per the old one? What might my old one be worth? Any other thoughts on how silly or otherwise my plan is?

"Myf" the skiff

PostPosted: Sep 30th, '11, 22:11 
Admiral

Have thanks: 579 times
Peter, if something goes wrong at the Lakes the various boat storage places will do your recovery with their tractor and its winch.

If you remove the cover a bit and add some light oil around the bearings and gears, you will find it a bit better on the winching.

I watched a Sharkcat recovered with an old winch, the guy had a piece of string connected to the lever on the switch and simply held the switch using the string as a remote.

A bad day in the Whitsundays is better than a good day at work. Unless you work in the Whitsundays.

PostPosted: Sep 30th, '11, 22:19 
Admiral

Have thanks: 1010 times
Peter Yates wrote:
...My ancient Powerwinch 912 only just manages to retrieve my SC25. I have the right wiring...

It might be worth measuring the voltage across the motor and the voltage across the battery at the same time under load to see if it is a wiring issue. Even though you're confident you've got the wiring right, it's an easy test to do and would confirm for certain it's not a cabling issue.

A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

PostPosted: Oct 1st, '11, 09:07 
Yachtmaster

Have thanks: 576 times
I strongly suggest you do not buy a new 912, keep your old one and fix it if you can or look into alternative whinches when you have the time.

If you're really interested I can PM you the list of failures / warranty claims I had with my 912 a few years back, but suffice to say they are made in china now - you'd expect a 912 to be able to retrieve a careel 18, wouldn't you? Incidentally, the first failure was the brand new motor disintegrating so buying a new motor doesn't help....

If you find yourself down the lakes and desperate for a whinch give me a call - you're welcome to unbolt the manual whinch from green velvet (stored out the back of blue water marine), alternatively do what Greg suggests- I think Trevor at Blue Water charges about $10 to retrieve your boat using his tractor.

PostPosted: Oct 1st, '11, 09:47 
Yachtmaster

Have thanks: 323 times
never had the "Power Winch" 912 or 712 let me down, but when you pull them to bits for service you will note the engineering is very poor. Call it half safe, mickey mouse or whatever, but I think they work in spite of themselves. Now I suppose with poor engineering plus Chinese manufacturing things are probaly worse.
Be prepared to have you boat pulled out by Blue Water Marine (last time $20.00) and consider your winch options at leisure.

PostPosted: Oct 4th, '11, 20:22 
Admiral

Have thanks: 305 times
Thanks folks for some good advice. I won't jump into getting a new 912 now. I do wonder though if anything is made anywhere except China? I really thought the Powerwinch was still old American engineering and still built in America and at least made of good metal!

I did order a new handle and cable for mine and from memory it came from USA so I assumed the things were still built there.

I have never tried to hand winch my boat to see if it is possible, even if it takes lots of time and winding. Has anyone done it so I can have an idea if it is feasible as a back up?

I know beggars can't be choosers, but when I bought my boat, it had been in mast up storage and it was about 150mm off centre on the trailer and with a 10 degree list. In part I think that was due to the tractor cable having to bypass the trailer winch post to one side. So I was hoping to be able to do all the retrieving myself.

"Myf" the skiff

PostPosted: Oct 11th, '11, 20:01 
Yachtmaster

Have thanks: 576 times
Hand whinching with the 912 is VERY easy- obviously takes a while, but the gearing is pretty low. It's a good backup for when there is an electrical fault / the motor falls to pieces etc.