It is currently Aug 15th, '18, 16:24

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Jun 28th, '12, 18:03 
CompetentCrew

Have thanks: 9 times
Has anyone cruised the Murray River in their TS from Mildura to Renmark S.A. ? We are considering a cruise later in the year & need some more info to plan this possible trip. :)

Regards,

For this message the author moonraker has received thanks: rcbarker (Feb 17th, '14, 20:39)
  Rating: 4.76%

PostPosted: Jun 28th, '12, 18:18 
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Have thanks: 20 times
Murray has been done a heap - especially by the TSASA (trailer sailer assoc of SA) tsasa.net - site down at the moment?
They have done different sections over the years.
You are looking at a 650km stretch, assuming about 80km a day as comfortable max, its about a 10 day trip without making it real hard on yourself.

The Murray is best done motoring - leave your mast at home.
Winds are really light & flueky & so many twists & turns in that part of the river that you cant sail.
If your mast is up you have real trouble coming in to the bank because of the overhanging trees that will hit your mast.

When I last did a trip the river levels were low, but you will have no such trouble at the moment

It is a nil discharge zone - not even grey water from your sink is allowed back in the river,
We did dishes in a bucket & then threw the water onto the shore.
There are blackwater pump-out & porta pottie emptying (& washing) stations all along the river.

Here is some info I collected that hopefully you will find very useful in planning the trip:

1. The main link you need for trip planning is this:
http://www.rmboa.org.au/ - river murray boat owners assoc
They even have a trip calculator that calculates how far you will get and how much fuel you will use:
http://www.rmboa.org.au/cgi-bin/mr_trip_calc.pl

2. Plenty of charts of the Murray are avail - http://www.rivermurraycharts.com.au/charts.html
You definitely will need a chart for the stretch you are planning on doing, as there are shallow sides/patches of the river you will want to avoid.

3. Govt Boating info
http://www.sa.gov.au/subject/Transport, ... ray+safety

4 boat ramps in SA - includes murray ones (its not exhaustive - but has most of them)
http://www.dtei.sa.gov.au/recboatingfac ... _locations

5. Interactive hazards map which covers the murray
http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/safety/m ... azards.asp

6. Other info - flow & levels etc.
http://www.riverland.net.au/~heinz/

7. Some trip reports are around eg
http://www.tsasa.net/bwarchive/200606%2 ... 202006.pdf
(tsasa not responding at the moment - hope it is back on line soon)
http://www.trailersailer.org/wp-content ... 3-2012.pdf
this one is from renmark to murray bridge in sa, earlier this year by newcastle & hunter yachts assoc
I believe the SYAV also did Renmark to Murray bridge a few years back, there should be a write-up in sonata notes

Finally - the scenery is spectacular & the river tranquil! - It is really worth lugging a canoe to explore the back waters (Chowilla and murray sunset national park spring to mind)
http://www.murrayriver.com.au/kayaking- ... ns-trails/

Edit- clarified distance calc

Sonata 7 "Pitchin' Inn"

Last edited by porridgepots on Jun 29th, '12, 11:17, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Jul 1st, '12, 20:53 
Able Skipper

Have thanks: 51 times
No doubt the no grey water will become more and more common. I had planned on the sink going striaght out above the waterline, this post has me thinking though as you never know where you might end up, do I go with that, keep it simple and bucket and chuck it or install a grey water bladder or container (the thought crossed my mind in Bunnings when I saw the 10l white water containers that they could be a possibility)

Hmmm what have others got/do/would do if they changed the galley?

PostPosted: Jul 19th, '12, 01:00 
CompetentCrew

Have thanks: 1 time
I have been thinking hard how to cut down on waste water as I'm not keen on sink water even going out to sea. So far this bear of little brain has come up with "the only place it is proper to lick your plate clean will be after dinner on the boat", and then rinsing with boiling water. Then let the boiling water cool and dispose of on bank or over side at sea. Don't think this will do for more than a weekend away if I dont want food poisoning on board. I am a bit suspicious of even bio degradable detergeants, because it's still looking at disposing of waste into the water. Was thinking of using the kitty litter of the quarry clay variety to absorb water and smells, and just putting it in compost when returning home. This is way too complicated though. There has to be an easier way to encourage people to think about where their waste goes.
THEN there's the toilet. From kayaking trips I'm used to carrying out. Paper and all..ercchhh! The book "How to S- - t in the Woods" is interesting reading for those so inclined. Quite stringent guidelines in Canada for waste disposal.. Carrying out! As areas are so popular, there'd just be a little suspicious sand castle behind every bush and tree!. I think perhaps Australian govt bodies should consider sites with composting toilets situated along rivers and remote beach sites as they become more accessible and popular. Nothing worse than going for a walk along a sandhill and finding old paper waste!
On that cheery note...I'll keep reading on....!
Still enjoying this site.
Zebedee... I really hope your trailer's ok... What a ding - a- ling to confess boat abuse on the internet!!!

PostPosted: Jul 19th, '12, 08:24 
Yachtmaster

Have thanks: 273 times
Night soil, as it is often called, is a natural bi product of living. The problem is of course how to dispose of it particularly given that humans live in large numbers, in concentrated areas, and we are generally omnivorous by nature. Eating of meat creates an obnoxious odour in the mouth, on the person and also in particular the excrement. In a wilderness area burying an individual's human waste in a shallow hole away from water is quite safe and acceptable, as long as it is away from the water course and away from trafficked paths.

The following link leads to a NZ Government site that has some very interesting information in it about how to dispose of feaces in the bush, if appropriate, or how to carry it out. It also has a link to a Ballarat University document illustrating how to make a portable 'poo pot' in which to carry the poo out. The difficulty with carrying it out is how to properly dispose of it either on the way out or after reaching the destination.

http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recrea ... man-waste/

This is an important topic. I recall the difficulty :shock: we had disposing our porta potti whilst cruising at Fraser Island, The Broadwater and also in the Whitsundays. Even the bare boat charter industry expects pota pottis to be emptied at sea before returning the boat. It is really amazing that there are no (or perhaps were not) facilities provided on land for proper disposal of the wastes in these high use areas of the Sunshine state.

http://www.baysidetrailableyachtclub.com
Photo shows Wanton at Nara Inlet, Whitsundays, Qld.

PostPosted: Jul 19th, '12, 10:56 
Admiral

Have thanks: 596 times
The Myall Lakes is a cruising area with a nil discharge policy.

Its a bit tough when even things like using soap to wash your hands then rinsing are issues.

Given the pristine nature of the water the effort to use shore facilities is worthwhile.

At less vulnerable areas like the Whitsundays where you are in virtually unlimited supplies of ocean water to dilute and process boat discharges, the local practice of pumping out in the channels where there is current does not offend me.

Places like the Gippsland Lakes provide so many oportunities to use shore based ablutions.

The Murray cruise with a club would take some of the uncertainty re waste disposal away.

Given the current flows on the Murray, the environmental risks are low but who wants to motor past a floater dropped by some inconsiderate person.

A bad day in the Whitsundays is better than a good day at work. Unless you work in the Whitsundays.

PostPosted: Jul 19th, '12, 13:54 
Yachtmaster

Quote:
Given the current flows on the Murray, the environmental risks are low but who wants to motor past a floater dropped by some inconsiderate person

I think we also have to remember that SA and many towns along the river draw their potable water from the Murray. I certainly would not like to think that boaties in the process of enjoying the Murray would be dumping their sewerage into the river.

Now this brings me to the next point. What to do with dish washing water. Would it be OK to walk up the and over the bank and pouring the dish washing water on the soil. My instincts are telling me that by the time such water leaches through the soil to the river the little bugs would have done their job and it will be OK. What do you guys think of this.

A big PS:

As the Editor of the BTYC Newsletter I have to place a rider on the quote shown above in this thread.
PLEASE NOTE: THIS TRIP IS NOT OPEN TO ANYONE. IT HAS BEEN ARRANGED BY TWO CLUBS AND IS STRICTLY LIMITED TO THOSE CILUB MEMBERS>[size=150][i] TSP Admin.

TSP'ers may gain the impression from reading the copy of the the BTYC newsletter article, that has been copied above; that this cruise is wide open to anyone. Unfortunately it is not. The Boat club that organizes this cruise every other year is only a small club and they will not be able to have any more than a small number of non members, as little as 5 visitors, on this cruise. The BTYC has been negotiating with this club for just on a year to date, and I must say they have been very helpful, very friendly and extremely informative.

I can assure you that the logistics of this cruise, that is organized by this small club, are quite heavy because of the conditions of use of the river and the lack of facilities in some sections. So please do not overwhelm the club with applications to join them. I trust that you all understand.

PostPosted: Jul 19th, '12, 15:30 
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Wanton wrote:
Would it be OK to walk up the and over the bank and pouring the dish washing water on the soil. My instincts are telling me that by the time such water leaches through the soil to the river the little bugs would have done their job and it will be OK.

This is certainly what we did, usually throwing it on a tree or bush. Though when out cruising we often do our dishes by just wiping them using baby wipes when fresh water is scarce.
However if you are going to relieve yourself in the bushes or dig a hole and go number two's, guidelines are to be 100m from water sources, so if you can dispose of greywater that far back it would be better.

It would be best to follow the same guidelines as paddlers http://www.lnt.org.au/documents/private ... ddling.pdf

Sonata 7 "Pitchin' Inn"

PostPosted: Jul 19th, '12, 19:08 
CompetentCrew

This is a topic I am quite passionate about. I live in Adelaide!! Nothing like a discussion about "Our End of the Murray" to get me fired up! Also was a Sea Scout leader for 15 years, did a little hiking, and loved touring in my kayak with a club on the river and beautiful Coffin Bay.... ahhhhhhh. As the Murray is one of the main destinations for any SA kayak club, as we paddled along the River, and saw the amount of water craft traffic, day picnickers, and the occasional bunch of canoeists, topic of conversation would often come around to water and ablutions etc. Similarly with hiking. "Carrying out" your, how shall I say, "personal waste" is such a ... well ... it's not a popular piece of cargo. But I began to understand why it''s probably the best and only option. (I refer back to "wayward streamers of paper on beaches", and "suspicious sandcastles behind bushes".) Similarly with sailing in the confines of Gulf St. Vincent, and probably through the Barrier Reef. Even though there are currents and channels, that goo has to end up somewhere.
Can trailer sailers access waster disposal stations for houseboats, or are they exclusively for houseboats?
Hmmm... been looking for something to do. What did I do with my soap box? I'll sit on my hands now and be quiet....

PostPosted: Jul 19th, '12, 19:26 
CompetentCrew

And getting back to the thread.... sorry for hijacking with my soapbox.
There are beautiful areas around Renmark. Do be careful if you take your kayak in the backwaters upstream from Renmark, around Chowilla. There are quite strong currents in narrow channels, often with submerged logs. There are also a few little weirs, a trap for kayakers. Also, you should check with Dept of Environment, Water & Natural Resources for any shooting going on. We got the fright of our life when these long haired guys with guns walked up to the campsite, and asked what we were doing there? They were pig shooters, and seemed quite normal?? Now we know to check, as sometimes the backwaters are closed while the shooting is happening.
Otherwise, it is a beautiful part of the River, and well worth taking a kayak or two to explore if you can. Ral Ral Creek, Big Hunchee and Little Hunchee are beautiful. If you want some canoe trail maps pm me with your email address. I can recommend some camp sites that you should be able to access with the boat, off the River. The maps are out of print now, but great maps. I'll scan them if you want them. I'd like to get some maps with house boat markers on them, as I always get lost on the river.... :roll: Those big numbers on the trees are pretty handy.

PostPosted: Jul 20th, '12, 00:15 
Yachtmaster

Quote:
This is a topic I am quite passionate about. I live in Adelaide!! Nothing like a discussion about "Our End of the Murray" to get me fired up!

I think we can all understand your passion about this subject. Who can blame you? Our Murray is one of the mightiest rivers of the world, it is a shame that the states have control of this river, it should be under Federal control. The selfishness of the different states in the management of this system amazes me. It is such a shame that we and our politicians have such a short memory and fail to act for the preservations of this valuable resource. It is only two years since we were told the Murray is dying and then thankfully the drought broke and the river is running again.

Now on a more serious note:
:twisted:
My understanding is that a public porta potti disposal hopper is available for all the public. It would be laughable if they are set aside just for houseboats. However :roll: :roll: I understand that in Medievial times farmers used to pay more to use "night soil" from Rich households. :roll: The pricing logic being that rich folks ate better so their manure would be more fertile. I am guessing that the analagy may be extended to house boats. They can carry more wine and beer than a TS or a canoe, so their poo may contain more niutrients and it needs to be better disposed. :? :? Err! does that sound logical?

PostPosted: Jul 21st, '12, 19:31 
Admiral

Have thanks: 1032 times
waterworld wrote:
Zebedee... I really hope your trailer's ok... What a ding - a- ling to confess boat abuse on the internet!!!

There's a problem with my trailer???

It's brand new, been in the water once, and has been stationary underneath my boat on dry land for about 7 or 8 weeks now?!

Am I missing something here?

A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

PostPosted: Jul 21st, '12, 20:46 
CompetentCrew

Oh.. I read in another forum about someone towing your boat with the trailer handbrake on.

It must be ok! Good! And sorry for the confusion. Definitely didnt mean to do that!

PostPosted: Jul 21st, '12, 20:51 
Admiral

Ahh that was Stephen when he owned it. I bought it from him in April.

It's had a complete new trailer since then, complete that is, apart from the axle, hubs, wheels and tyres and... brakes!

A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

PostPosted: Jul 24th, '12, 01:37 
Midshipman

Sounds like my grandfather's axe. It's had 3 new handles and 2 new heads, but its still my grandfather's axe.

PostPosted: Jul 24th, '12, 02:24 
Admiral

I believe the mudguards are original.

PostPosted: Jul 25th, '12, 13:18 
CompetentCrew

Friend sent this. Very topical!

PostPosted: Jul 25th, '12, 15:37 
Able Skipper

Have thanks: 105 times
The flags say it all.

Neil

Crosswind
Ross 650

PostPosted: Jul 25th, '12, 18:29 
CompetentCrew

So they do!

What a job! Must be money in it, because otherwise, why would you do it?

PostPosted: Jul 25th, '12, 19:02 
Yachtmaster

Have thanks: 329 times
I spent aconsiderable amount of holiday time in Mildura in the late fifties, as far as I knew then, town water was pumped out upstream of the town, and grey water including treated sewerage was discharged downstream. What other options do inland towns have ? I assumed all towns on the Murray did the same. We have never disposed of porta potti waste anywhere but into a pump out station or town sewerage, But sink water is another matter. A TS just does not have the space to store sink waste. We pre clean our plates and utensils with paper towels before washing. BTW we drain to dry and use paper towels to finish. Saves having soggy dishcloths dangling about. Ok ! so the enviro guys may be concerned about our waste of paper towels, but they are disposed of when we get back for supplies. So I reckon if hundreds did what we are doing, there would be very little impact on places like the Myalls or the Murray. As for soapboxes, there is some sort of enviromental impact on everyhting we humans do. The only hope for the long term is to put the brakes on the current population explosion worldwide.

PostPosted: Jul 25th, '12, 19:53 
Able Skipper

There are millions of fish that would be looking to chew a hole through your hull if they could read right now :)

Of course the dishwashing detergents are the issue.

PostPosted: Jul 27th, '12, 20:10 
Yachtmaster

Detergents are an issue, there is a lot of overuse, people are inclined to use heaps more than required for a clean wash up. I strongly suspect the foliage degradation of the trees around PPB is due to detergent laced saltspray washing the protective oils from the leaves leaving them open to salt damage. That being said, our usage of detergent per washup would be less than two Mls, so six Mls per day, so twenty boats 120Mls per day, I don't think the fish would notice. The nutrients from the towns, the Wake Boats, the fisherpersons who leave Bait Bags all over the place, Etc Etc make the entire TS communitie's contribution the polution problem very minor. so the fish can relax when they see a TS.

PostPosted: Jul 27th, '12, 22:00 
Able Skipper

Lol, true. i was referring more to you stealing their easy meals but not sharing the food scraps lol.

PostPosted: Jul 27th, '12, 22:25 
Yachtmaster

I read it wrong - I thought you meant the fish would want to eat a hole in the hull.

PostPosted: Sep 8th, '12, 00:15 
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Back on topic - just been poking around on the Goolwa Regatta Yacht Club web site and discovered a trip report from a couple in an RL28 who travelled from Yarrawonga all the way to Goolwa (2000km) in the last couple of months.

looks like some low bridges they just scraped through, and because of high flows a couple of the locks are out.

Lock 9 was an issue (below mildura) - they had to trail the boat for that stretch and launch the other side. So if you are planning right now, maybe try renmark to loxton instead?

http://www.gryc.com.au/crusing/cruising-stories/

Sonata 7 "Pitchin' Inn"