It is currently May 26th, '18, 13:40

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Feb 14th, '18, 14:13 
Admiral

Have thanks: 572 times
I've still got my Bosch 240V drill from the 1980sand its still working perfectly.

We did wear out one of my son's 10.7V impact driver, after many years a switch failed, I bought two to replace the failed driver because they were on special at less than the cost of repair. The worn out driver did a massive amount of heavy work before it failed. I figured buying two on special (about $50 each) will keep the set working for a very long time.

Forgot to mention I buy online from Sydney tools, wait for the specials.

A bad day in the Whitsundays is better than a good day at work. Unless you work in the Whitsundays.

PostPosted: Feb 14th, '18, 19:02 
Yachtmaster

Have thanks: 570 times
Tinggu wrote:
I've done without a cordless drill for some time and taken a forced re - liking to my old hand crank drill for simple jobs. I'm glad I kept it. I've been too bemused by the massive range of the new generation battery tools to make a choice of manufacturer, as once you get the kit of charger and batteries you are locked into that brand. There seems to be a definite praising of Ryobi here so I may make the plunge and visit the big hardware place with my recently received gift card. Thanks!

Pm sent with more details, but I'd probably not buy ryobi now if I was starting out again. I'm perfectly happy with what I have, BUT

1 bunnings have taken over ryobi distribution

2 you can't buy adaptors to use ryobi batteries in other tools ( but you can buy adaptors for eg makita to ryobi)

3 did I mention bunnings?

For this message the author pdandy has received thanks: Tinggu (Feb 16th, '18, 13:06)
  Rating: 5%

PostPosted: Feb 14th, '18, 19:31 
Admiral

Have thanks: 997 times
Tinggu wrote:
I'd heard very ordinary reports of Bosch in the 2000s.

Apparently Bosch have (or had) two ranges of power tools, intended for professional markets versus domestic markets. I've been warned by a former Bosch employee that the domestic tools are nothing special. He was not involved with tools at Bosch; this was his opinion based on what he heard from fellow employees who bought tools on the staff discount scheme.

I've got several Bosch domestic grade power tools as well as a Hitachi mains powered drill and a blue Ryobi battery drill bought about 15 years ago as a seconds/warranty return discount.

None of the mains powered tools have given me any trouble.

The two original Ryobi NiCad batteries are long dead; I repacked several batteries with NiMH cells bought from Hong Kong on eBay a couple of times before biting the bullet about a year ago and buying a modern lime green Ryobi Li-Ion charger and 5Ah Li-Ion battery, both of which are backwards compatible. With a new battery the drill is like new again and goes forever. If it dies, blue drills and other tools compatible with the newer batteries are a dime a dozen on ebay.

A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

PostPosted: Feb 14th, '18, 19:45 
Admiral

Bosch blue is the confessional tools generally made in Germany.

Bosch green is the domestic tools generally made in China.

All the tools I've used were Bosch blue.

A bad day in the Whitsundays is better than a good day at work. Unless you work in the Whitsundays.

PostPosted: Feb 14th, '18, 20:36 
Inshore Skipper

Have thanks: 30 times
Anyway to get away from power tools and back to subject, basically if I want to replace my donkey years old mercury sail power 9.8 should I get a new 9.8 25inch tohatsu or Mercury before July or replace it with a 4 stroke and if so what size would be equivalent. However I do like it to be as light as possible.
What you guys suggest?

PostPosted: Feb 14th, '18, 21:52 
Inshore Skipper

Have thanks: 35 times
Spoke to a Mercury dealer today who advised that production of the carby TT long shaft has been stopped for Aust. already and with the diminishing volumes prices may go up for what’s left.

PostPosted: Feb 15th, '18, 08:33 
Yachtmaster

Have thanks: 262 times
Get a 2 stroke if it's not in a well or too close.
Imo

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Feb 17th, '18, 13:07 
Able Skipper

Have thanks: 70 times
I believe Bosch has done an exclusivity deal with Bunnings and Total Tools. Now if I want to have my Bosch tools repaired, my local guy (until recently a Bosch dealer and certified servicing agent) can't even get spare parts from them. Fantastic huh? How long would it take to get a repair done through either of those chain stores and the people your dealing with have no idea at all. I won't be buying their tools anymore.

For this message the author mob has received thanks: Tinggu (Feb 17th, '18, 16:12)
  Rating: 5%

PostPosted: Feb 17th, '18, 18:24 
Admiral

MOb, tradesmen seldom get there tools repaired. If under warranty, they are often replaced or out of warranty they just buy a new tool.

With labor costs so high, its not worth the wait to repair.

I know some tradesmen who hand old tools down to family members who do repair them but as far as most tradesmen go, they want a new tool and get back to work (with things like battery tools).

PostPosted: Feb 18th, '18, 08:27 
Yachtmaster

Have thanks: 321 times
Have been off the air for a few days, but I have read most of the posts, apologies if I am repeating. It appears the issue is the evil carby which cannot pass the feel good regulations in either two or four stroke. So electronic fuel injection is where they are all headed. Carbon tank vent filters are on the way as well. By the time they hang on all this feel good stuff on internal combustion powered portable tools they will cost an arm and a leg and be so heavy they will no longer be portable.
OK I am old and grumpy, but these drawing board idiots just don't get that forcing electric power for just about everything just moves the pollution site, plus the whole of life carbon footprint of a lot of the stuff far exceeds internal combustion emmissions.

PostPosted: Feb 18th, '18, 08:30 
Yachtmaster

Have thanks: 570 times
colect149 wrote:
Have been off the air for a few days, but I have read most of the posts, apologies if I am repeating. It appears the issue is the evil carby which cannot pass the feel good regulations in either two or four stroke. So electronic fuel injection is where they are all headed. Carbon tank vent filters are on the way as well. By the time they hang on all this feel good stuff on internal combustion powered portable tools they will cost an arm and a leg and be so heavy they will no longer be portable.
OK I am old and grumpy, but these drawing board idiots just don't get that forcing electric power for just about everything just moves the pollution site, plus the whole of life carbon footprint of a lot of the stuff far exceeds internal combustion emmissions.

Not old and grumpy - you are experienced and have perspective

PostPosted: Feb 18th, '18, 12:06 
Able Skipper

Have thanks: 70 times
INMA wrote:
MOb, tradesmen seldom get there tools repaired. If under warranty, they are often replaced or out of warranty they just buy a new tool.

The younger guys certainly, but us older blokes still like to get things repaired. My 12 year old bosch rotary hammer drill (used and abused every couple of days) cost $40 for a repair as opposed to $300 replacement. Actually ,I was on a job and there was a guy drilling 13mm holes in gal lintels at a rate of about two drill bits per hole. When he finished,he tossed a couple of handfuls of drill bits into the skip. The old guys were like seagulls into a bag of chips - I only got two.

PostPosted: Feb 18th, '18, 12:45 
Admiral

colect149 wrote:
Have been off the air for a few days, but I have read most of the posts, apologies if I am repeating. It appears the issue is the evil carby which cannot pass the feel good regulations in either two or four stroke.

The difference between efi 4 strokes and carby 4 strokes is trivial compared to the difference between 4 strokes and 2 strokes.

A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

PostPosted: Feb 18th, '18, 15:10 
Able Skipper

Have thanks: 117 times
Hi All,
The electric tool will be more popular in the future as the technology progress to better designed batteries and smart tools. 20 years ago I bought battery Philips shaver in Singapore, made in Holland not China.
It is one hour charge, two shave heads and it recharge from any power, even 12 Dc.
Batteries gradually lost capacity and I tried to buy new ones. They don’t make multi voltage any more.
So I bought new batteries, same shape, double the capacity.
Now when on water I don’t have to recharge for 2 weeks. That’s called progress.
One day electric outboards will be the norm on small boats.
Regards Frank

PostPosted: Feb 18th, '18, 17:16 
Admiral

Real progress is a solution which doesn't involve shaving at all!

PostPosted: Feb 18th, '18, 20:58 
Yachtmaster

Have thanks: 270 times
INMA wrote:
I've still got my Bosch 240V drill from the 1980sand its still working perfectly.

I still have one buried in my shed somewhere although it hasn't been used for years, got it from McEwans in the early 80's, cost about $50 I think, lost the chuck key a long time ago.

Bilge Rat Soc (dog)Where's my feed bowl
Stowaways-Sarah & Kate
Warneet Motor Yacht Club-Ultimate Association-SICYC

PostPosted: Feb 20th, '18, 19:53 
Inshore Skipper

Have thanks: 24 times
Gezza wrote:
Anyway to get away from power tools and back to subject, basically if I want to replace my donkey years old mercury sail power 9.8 should I get a new 9.8 25inch tohatsu or Mercury before July or replace it with a 4 stroke and if so what size would be equivalent. However I do like it to be as light as possible.
What you guys suggest?

MFS9.8B would be the 4 stroke equivalent but you're looking at extra 10kg.

I had a look at the 20" version of the MFS9.8B myself to replace the old 5HP and would have done the job nicely except for the extra weight. Its so close to the weight of the new fuel injected 20HP Tohy that may as well go for that. :lol:

PostPosted: Feb 20th, '18, 20:18 
Able Skipper

Have thanks: 103 times
Gezza wrote:
should I get a new 9.8 25inch tohatsu or Mercury before July or replace it with ..... However I do like it to be as light as possible.

I have a M9.8B Tohatsu which will be for sale later in the year, when I install a diesel motor. The Tohatsu is longshaft, 27 kg, 9.8 HP and two stroke, serviced for each of the past 2 years of my ownership, with a 8.75 x 5" high thrust 4-blade propeller.

PostPosted: Feb 20th, '18, 21:11 
Inshore Skipper

Thanks Harb and Phill, I probably inquire some dealers what is available, but if I get lazy and don’t I might be interested when you sell yours phill, then again you in Melbourne hmmmmmmmmmm.
We shall see, never been to Melbourne so it would warrant a trip and for sure the other half be keen for a trip.

PostPosted: Feb 21st, '18, 18:42 
Yachtmaster

Have thanks: 139 times
Its a long sail to Melb but worth it

Nacra 14sq 'Vamoose'

PostPosted: Feb 24th, '18, 15:18 
Inshore Skipper

Have thanks: 23 times
Apologies for perpetuating the hijack...

I have had bosch power tools for decades and defended them endlessly against the makita fans. I've given up. Spares are hard and too many design issues. They were never better than makita. I have some green ones that have given good service but my blue drill no longer reverses.

There is a long thread on whirlpool about the ozito battery garden tools. Quite a few happy owners, but with realistic expectations.

The new ryobi stuff breaks, but when it does you take it back to b** and get a new one no questions asked. I would not buy it buy to each their own. Apparently Milwaukee, AEG and Ryobi are owned by the same mob now and built priced and marketed to different buyers.

I have just bought a 2 piece combo hitachi from amazon on runout $192 delivered. 110V charger easily fixed and essentially no warranty, but good trade quality 18V tools that will do me nicely.

18V garden tools are becoming more common and I would think the better brands offer good service. I am not about to throw away my FS220 or my chinese chainsaw which does a fine job despite it's origins.

2c.

PostPosted: Feb 24th, '18, 20:51 
Inshore Skipper

That’s the problem, we live in a throw away society, we want cheap stuff expect it not to last then chuck it out and buy new. Hence the huge amount of waste we produce. It is usually as expensive if not cheaper to replace the crap quality tools or whatever else we can buy nowadays than fix it, if you even can get into it to fix it. It is a lot more expensive to manufacture quality repairable goods then throw away goods. And people want cheap even if it is more expensive in the long run. Also we running out of people that are actually able to repair things.

PostPosted: Feb 24th, '18, 21:00 
Yachtmaster

And we come full circle; two strokes last forever, since about 1985 they have been rock solid. 4 strokes are far more needy. I wonder what the stats are on use vs maintenance, disposed oil, etc.

I will want a haines 5m with a 70-90hp in a few years time, and it'll be a bugger if I have to buy a 4 stroke.

PostPosted: Feb 25th, '18, 03:02 
Admiral

Furstin wrote:
I will want a haines 5m with a 70-90hp in a few years time, and it'll be a bugger if I have to buy a 4 stroke.

I would think you'd have a very good chance of still being able to buy a two stroke that size, but it will be Direct Fuel Injection, with the fuel injected close to top dead centre, diesel style, after the exhaust port has closed.

PostPosted: Feb 25th, '18, 09:14 
Yachtmaster

My issue with 4 stroke really stems from a bit of dirty fuel requiring a full car by clean and seeing just how small the galleries are in that carby.
Anyone with one should have a decent filter in line. A really decent filter.
But yes, still love the 2 stroke.