It is currently Apr 22nd, '18, 22:19

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Dec 21st, '17, 09:00 
Able Skipper

Have thanks: 136 times
Can anyone point me in the direction of a good Mercury parts supplier? Preferably online as one trip in the car usually costs more than any price savings.
I usually deal with Boats.net for Honda spares but Mercury won't allow online suppliers to ship internationally.
I have acquired a good 210cc 6hp twin 2stroke Sailpower at a bargain price but it needs some service work.

PostPosted: Dec 21st, '17, 09:23 
Admiral

Have thanks: 561 times
I've used eBay lately. The dealers are obvious and if its not advertised, ask and they can generally help.

That is a very good outboard, you can probably get a full service kit on eBay.

Be aware the outboard motor oils have changed and provide less lubrication than a decade ago. I use Castrol JASO FC at 75:1 mix successfully which has suited me.

If you must use outboard oils,pay extra to buy the premium synthetic oils sold to suit the big jet skies.

A bad day in the Whitsundays is better than a good day at work. Unless you work in the Whitsundays.

PostPosted: Dec 21st, '17, 20:00 
Able Skipper

Have thanks: 130 times
INMA wrote:
I've used eBay lately. The dealers are obvious and if its not advertised, ask and they can generally help.

That is a very good outboard, you can probably get a full service kit on eBay.

Be aware the outboard motor oils have changed and provide less lubrication than a decade ago. I use Castrol JASO FC at 75:1 mix successfully which has suited me.

If you must use outboard oils,pay extra to buy the premium synthetic oils sold to suit the big jet skies.

+1 for Castrol Jasco FC . . I use on my 8HP merc twin

The last person I bought bits from was robinson marine parts. Now using an eBay store. http://stores.ebay.com.au/Robinson-Marine-Parts

Castle 650 #96. Mystic.

PostPosted: Dec 21st, '17, 23:41 
Inshore Skipper

Have thanks: 29 times
In reading above I am wondering if I have done the wrong thing.
I have a 1985 Mercury 5 hp which ,since I bought the boat in Sept starts first go ,except for last time when it took quite a few pulls.
I have only filled the 20 litre remote tank once and used Penrite mc-2 semi synthetic low smoke two stroke at 50:1 which is what the original manual recommends but that’s 1985.
Do you know if this oil is ok and should I be mixing 75:1
Thanks

PostPosted: Dec 22nd, '17, 01:16 
Admiral

Tezza, probably the biggest issue with your outboard is the 20 liter tank that is so big that your fuel and oil will go off before you empty the tank.

Most people use standard oils at 50:1 mix without issues.

I've used 100:1 then 75:1 mix for the last 25 years without issues. But I've always been careful to measure the fuel and oil accurately. I moved to Castrol when I needed to reduce the types of oils I was holding.

I use a plastic bottle with two tops and a measuring chamber so I know exactly how much oil goes in the petrol, no mistakes.

My suggestion is to get a smaller tank, fit a filter on your fuel line to protect the engine and use whatever oil ratio you are comfortable at.

Outboards, especially old outboards need to be run hot and hard for long times to burn the accumulated carbon out of the cylinders. If they are just idled around for short trips, the carbon builds up around critical areas like the rings and eventually stops the rings sealing.

I try and have a hard run near full throttle before I service the outboard. Good oil and new fuel helps burn away the carbon and other crud that eventually kills the engine. I'm talking about half a day of hard running. If you can't do it in open water, leave the yacht tied to a jetty in gear at 75% throttle for a few hours, then the engine will be a lot healthier inside where it counts.

New plugs are always handy, with an old engine, close the gap 20% which reduces the voltage at the plug and improves starting. Use some copper grease on plug threads to protect the threads in the cylinder heads.

New oils don't foul like oils 40 years ago so the reduced plug gap is fine.

If you can tune your own outboard including setting the idle mixture that is a bonus.

Old outboards that are fouled and need lots of hot runs will need the idle mixture checked and idle speed set occasionally.

Buy an hourmeter tacho to keep track of how the engine is working.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Inductive-D ... 1438.l2649

When you change tanks, dump the old fuel in your car, a few liters in an almost full tank won't damage a petrol car engine.

Do not use ethanol fuels. Some states mandate ethanol in standard unleaded. Outboard owners end up buying higher octane non ethanol fuels. I'm not sure about modern fuel stability.

A bad day in the Whitsundays is better than a good day at work. Unless you work in the Whitsundays.

For this message the author INMA has received thanks: mob (Dec 23rd, '17, 09:24)
  Rating: 5%

PostPosted: Dec 22nd, '17, 01:19 
Admiral

Forgot to say, use NGK plugs or Bosch plugs which will last the life of your engine.

For this message the author INMA has received thanks: mob (Dec 23rd, '17, 09:24)
  Rating: 5%

PostPosted: Dec 22nd, '17, 05:58 
Inshore Skipper

Have thanks: 29 times
Thanks for all that .

PostPosted: Dec 22nd, '17, 09:21 
Inshore Skipper

Have thanks: 13 times
This could be a good time to ask opinions on fuel stabiliser. I have been using it in all my small engines for over 30 years, since the lead was taken out of petrol. We often go away for 6 months at a time, have no trouble starting them all when home again. The one I am using at the moment says up to 12 months is OK.

Any thoughts?
Peter

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

"Peridòt", 6.0m Jim Young, and 05 Jeep Renegade Cherokee