It is currently Apr 22nd, '18, 22:28

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 4th, '15, 22:34 
Able Skipper

Have thanks: 113 times
Hi All,

what looks like good idea is illegal. History has been repeated again and again. Almost everything good is illegal, why?

Sydney Morning Herald

Consumers warned to beware of illegal mobile phone repeaters
Sydney Morning Herald - ‎6 hours ago‎

Australians wanting to improve mobile reception in their homes are using amplification equipment purchased online, but may be unaware that doing so is dangerous, illegal and can result in a jail term, the Australian Communications and Media Authority has .

Regards Frank

PostPosted: May 5th, '15, 00:44 
Admiral

Have thanks: 978 times
Because having every Tom, Dick and Harry installing their own repeater transmitting in the limited mobile phone spectrum would result in a complete shambles? How about we let everyone install TV repeaters too if they live behind a hill?

A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

PostPosted: May 5th, '15, 13:18 
Yachtmaster

Have thanks: 267 times
You can install a TV repeater providing it operates on the same frequency, I have put in a few between Bairnsdale and Omeo, quite simple arrangements but I changed the polarity of the antenna so as not to cause unwanted interference.
A passive repeater can be simply two antennas connected together, one aimed at the transmitter and the other aimed at the receiving antenna.
I made a similar device for our wifi at home so it works in my shed.

Bilge Rat Soc (dog)Where's my feed bowl
Stowaways-Sarah & Kate
Warneet Motor Yacht Club-Ultimate Association-SICYC

PostPosted: May 5th, '15, 13:55 
Admiral

Have thanks: 978 times
Bligh wrote:
A passive repeater can be simply two antennas connected together, one aimed at the transmitter and the other aimed at the receiving antenna.

Mobile coverage at the farm (between Wangaratta and Yarrawonga) is rather marginal; outdoors is usable most places, but near or inside the house is extremely patchy, to the extent that you have to leave your phone in the right spot on the mantlepiece if you want to receive calls. We keep making noises about a yagi mounted high and pointed at the tower, connected to something basic like an inverted quarter wave on the loungeroom ceiling inside the house, but there always seem to be more interesting or urgent jobs.

A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

PostPosted: May 5th, '15, 15:08 
Able Skipper

Have thanks: 113 times
Hi All,

A signal booster for extension capability of mobile phone is only one option and definitely not necessary in city areas.

Overloading the system is nonsense as it never happens and works perfect in other countries.

Other option is to have phone with the application to switch to satellite.

This is not a rocket science this is a today technology.

I have to admit it is not easy to keep up with development unless you interested to follow it up constantly.

Typical examples are the multiple frequency, or GPS application in keeping an eye on your wife where she is “shopping”.

Regards Frank

PostPosted: May 5th, '15, 16:07 
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Have thanks: 40 times
Frank, I know there's a global comspiracy against us, but sometimes we can get around them. Get an antenna plus a phone with antenna plug or an induction cradle (for iphones, galaxies etc).

Have a look at this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12672&p=142151#p142151

Cheers, Graeme

PostPosted: May 5th, '15, 16:23 
Admiral

Have thanks: 497 times
Frank Peters wrote:
Hi All,

A signal booster for extension capability of mobile phone is only one option and definitely not necessary in city areas.

Overloading the system is nonsense as it never happens and works perfect in other countries.

Other option is to have phone with the application to switch to satellite.

This is not a rocket science this is a today technology.

I have to admit it is not easy to keep up with development unless you interested to follow it up constantly.

Typical examples are the multiple frequency, or GPS application in keeping an eye on your wife where she is “shopping”.

Regards Frank

If I was your wife and you used it for that purpose you would certainly be able to find it next time you sat down, if not before. :lol:

Coops.

For this message the author Cooper has received thanks: MartinDreaming (Mar 25th, '18, 10:09)
  Rating: 5%

PostPosted: May 5th, '15, 18:33 
Yachtmaster

Have thanks: 473 times
Would one of those induction chargers work on a tablet??

I have a couple of tablets that the USB charging ports are naffed after the the wire got tripped over whilst charging the tablet

Warneet Motor Yacht Club
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClULxhArKeEpFb_3-iYna5w/videos

PostPosted: May 5th, '15, 19:00 
Admiral

Have thanks: 561 times
Frank, mobile phone signal boosters interfer with otherphones in the area causing their connections to fail as the booster blankets the frequency. A bit like bullying on the road with a truck pushing the cars off the road and justifying it because the truck was more important.

Boosters are illegal because they corrupt the digital network making the infastructure less available to other users.

Just imagine me in a remote area calling for rescue of my child and you turn your booster on so you can get a youtube video that is funny. Your booster wrecks my connection to the tower and youre still happy without realising the damage you've done.

If boosters were viable, they would be legal.

A bad day in the Whitsundays is better than a good day at work. Unless you work in the Whitsundays.

For this message the author INMA has received thanks: MartinDreaming (Mar 25th, '18, 10:09)
  Rating: 5%

PostPosted: May 5th, '15, 21:26 
Lakes & Bays Skipper

sailboatmike wrote:
Would one of those induction chargers work on a tablet??

I have a couple of tablets that the USB charging ports are naffed after the the wire got tripped over whilst charging the tablet

Mike;

The "induction" part is to do with the rf signal, not charging. And I don't think such things exist for tablets, only phones.

Cheers, Graeme

PostPosted: Mar 24th, '18, 23:22 
Inshore Skipper

Have thanks: 42 times
INMA wrote:
Frank, mobile phone signal boosters interfer with otherphones in the area causing their connections to fail as the booster blankets the frequency. A bit like bullying on the road with a truck pushing the cars off the road and justifying it because the truck was more important.

Boosters are illegal because they corrupt the digital network making the infastructure less available to other users.

If boosters were viable, they would be legal.

Things have changed since the above post.
Installed one this week.
Legal systems are VERY expensive for what they are.
An extension cable with 2 passive pick ups, $600. A simple UHF antenna $285.
I'm in the wrong game.

There is also a version for boats, dramatically increases range I'm told.

https://www.comnet.com.au/epages/shop.s ... /Repeaters

Warneet Motor Yacht Club, Vic

PostPosted: Mar 25th, '18, 10:36 
Lakes & Bays Skipper

A much cheaper solution, just as effective as a repeater, is to fit an external antenna connected to a charging/induction cradle, or to a phone that has an external antenna connection. I have done this and get mobile/internet over much of Bass Strait with my iPhone 4s. All up cost was about $300, cheaper if your phone has a socket to directly accept the antenna connector. The charging cradle holds the phone and has the added benefits of keeping your phone always findable, dry, fully charged and not bumping around getting damaged.

Cheers, Graeme

PostPosted: Mar 25th, '18, 11:30 
Able Skipper

Have thanks: 130 times
lockie wrote:
A much cheaper solution, just as effective as a repeater, is to fit an external antenna connected to a charging/induction cradle, or to a phone that has an external antenna connection. I have done this and get mobile/internet over much of Bass Strait with my iPhone 4s. All up cost was about $300, cheaper if your phone has a socket to directly accept the antenna connector. The charging cradle holds the phone and has the added benefits of keeping your phone always findable, dry, fully charged and not bumping around getting damaged.

Cheers, Graeme

The iPhone 4s is also the best iPhone for signal reception. Was sold for a while by Telstra specifically on this recommendation for fringe areas. The iPhones went down hill (rapidly) from this model.

I have a Cellfi 3G repeater in the home. Legal and registered and costs a bomb when bought. No good for 4G though. I am not convinced it makes any difference. It is hard to get signal measurements using the phone indications although there is probably and app for this.

Castle 650 #96. Mystic.

PostPosted: Mar 25th, '18, 11:50 
Lakes & Bays Skipper

I'm no RF engineer, but it's for sure that a repeater can only amplify and retransmit the signal that is available, and if that is very weak you may well end up with a stronger but still error-laden signal. An external antenna might be a good place to start to overcome this.

I got my cradle from this mob: www.comnet.com.au
and the antenna from: https://zcg.com.au

Both were extremely helpful and very patient and tolerant with my many dumb initial questions.

Cheers, Graeme

PostPosted: Mar 26th, '18, 07:38 
Yachtmaster

Have thanks: 258 times
Be interested in exact products for external ant etc

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk