Hand Held VHF trickery

Place for all of the tips, hints, and facts around the electrical and electronic stuff found around Trailer Sailers, Trailers, and associated vehicles.
Tezza
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Hand Held VHF trickery

Post by Tezza » Oct 7th, '18, 09:31

Now I blame this on being confined indoors due to constant rain and having nothing to do.
I have a GME hand held vhf bought twelve months ago and it has worked fine . I attach it to a sheet bag when sailing.
So yesterday at home I turned it on nothing ! so put in on the charger and green light came on saying charged. Turned on hand held nothing . Did this a few times , took out battery cleaned it still nothing. Then I put it back in charger and turned hand held on . Screen lit up and green charge light turned to red so left for three hours and tried it again ,still nothing.
Damm battery’s kaput so ordered a new battery (67 + 9 delivery fee) and while on the site decided to buy a Uniden VHF they had on sale and install where I took out old axis radio last week . 200.
Last night had light bulb thought and plugged the hand held into the cigarette lighter ( what do they call that now) in the car and the vhf lit up . Took it out turned it on again ,lit up and showed 100% charged.
What The!
Still going this morning .
Bloody rain , just wasted a couple of hundred dollars .
Edit: feel a bit better it’s not holding a charge.
Sonata 6 Mango

PaulS
Able Skipper

Re: Hand Held VHF trickery

Post by PaulS » Oct 10th, '18, 07:27

Perhaps a bit more umph - volts (car may be up to 15V and charge lead may not regulate) and perhaps current again if not regulated, it is possible to wake some batteries up like this - but the usually go back to sleep again! 12mths seems a short life for a pack, how often did you use it?

PaulS
BETTER DROWNED THAN DUFFERS IF NOT DUFFERS WON'T DROWN
South Gippsland Victoria

Tezza
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by Tezza » Oct 11th, '18, 12:11

Unfortunately it’s gone back to not turning on unless I put it on the charger for thirty seconds and even then although the icon shows fully charged will close down after 10 mins to two hours.
I actually bought it eighteen months ago and only use it approx. 4/ 10 hours per week.
I’ll try the new battery when it arrives but am now thinking the set may be kaput.
Sonata 6 Mango

garymalmgren
Inshore Skipper

Post by garymalmgren » Dec 16th, '18, 23:10

Hi Tezza
Just wondering if the new replacement battery did the job.
Or was the hand held dead.

Gary

Tezza
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by Tezza » Dec 17th, '18, 08:22

Hi Gary,
Thanks for reminding me to advise result.
New battery fixed it. Like new .
Terry
Sonata 6 Mango

Return to “ELECTRICKERY (Electrical and Electronic Stuff)”