Electricity and fuel vapours?

Place for all of the tips, hints, and facts around the electrical and electronic stuff found around Trailer Sailers, Trailers, and associated vehicles.
Peter Yates
Admiral

Electricity and fuel vapours?

Post by Peter Yates » Nov 26th, '18, 12:43

I have contemplated from time to time the fitting of an auto-pilot. I probably won't do it as I really like keeping things simple with minimal electrics and anyway I generally don't sail solo now. But the following question has always bothered me.

My boat has a fitting on the stbd. rear locker door to accept a tiller pilot, but that locker also houses the fuel tank. When I motor, I obviously open the breather on the tank, so it is fair to assume there is a nice volatile mixture happening inside that locker at times.

My question to the brains trust is - how does that sit with having electrical wiring and joiners passing through that locker and would there be any potential sparks from installing an auto-pilot?
Peter Y

Investigator 563 "Tricksy"
"Myf" the skiff

bachus
Yachtmaster

Re: Electricity and fuel vapours?

Post by bachus » Nov 26th, '18, 13:42

Same plug situation here. I do not plug or unplug with the power supply to the plug turned on. But yes still not ideal.
Jim
Castle 650 #96. Mystic.
Tow hack: Ford Territory TX SZ MkII Auto AWD

Slammin
Able Skipper

Post by Slammin » Nov 26th, '18, 20:34

I think if you tried to start a fire using that setup you wouldn’t achieve much. BUT Murphy being Murphy!

Bligh
Yachtmaster

Post by Bligh » Dec 7th, '18, 06:15

I recall Milspec explosion proof connectors back in my RAAF days (late 60's) and they cost over a weeks pay each, so probably available but a new boat may be cheaper.
Cole 23 Saltire-Yamaha 9.9-]Nissan Navara 2.5 CRTD Hyundai 120 and Tucson
Skipper Iain-Sanctimonious Pedant
Bosun Rosemary-Who cares
Bilge Rat Soc (dog)Where's my feed bowl
Stowaways-Sarah & Kate
Warneet Motor Yacht Club-Ultimate Association-SICYC

Return to “ELECTRICKERY (Electrical and Electronic Stuff)”