Simrad Tiller Pilot Parts

Place for all of the tips, hints, and facts around the electrical and electronic stuff found around Trailer Sailers, Trailers, and associated vehicles.
lockie
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Simrad Tiller Pilot Parts

Post by lockie » Dec 16th, '13, 16:38

The fluxgate compass is stuffed and Simrad Australia don't sell spare parts.

I haven't had any luck tracking down a source elsewhere - would appreciate any advice on sellers of Simrad bits.

Thanks, Graeme

zebedee
Admiral

Re: Simrad Tiller Pilot Parts

Post by zebedee » Dec 16th, '13, 23:43

Must have been sunspots or something; the fluxgate in my Raymarine tillerpilot turned up its toes a few weeks ago too.

For the Raytheon products, there is a single fluxgate core design fitted into the tillerpilot housing or a bulkhead housing. It may be that Simrad have a similar single design common to various installations?

If you're dead lucky its the same design as the Raymarine one, source from an independent supplier, in which case they're $88 from Raymarine. Does it look anything like the Raymarine one shown in the Raymarine manual?

Will the Simrad accept NMEA data? If so, then it may accept a heading from the GPS and use that? That would make for a very simple fix - just cable it up for NMEA and turn your GPS on. If that does work, it should at least be able to follow a "GOTO" from the GPS without its internal compass.
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

madmission
Able Skipper

Post by madmission » Dec 17th, '13, 09:39

zebedee wrote: they're $88 from Raymarine.
Hi Zeb
last year my AH went crazy , turned out a single drop of saltwater found its way onto one of the windings corroded and open circuited it
Luckily I found the damaged winding and was able to solder it back together....extremely lucky as they are very fine
so far so good 12 months still working....but i expect it to fail sooner or later

i have been on the lookout for a replacement and noticed your post
where can you find such a source of spare parts

i could also do with a replacement for the display as clips holding it upon the zebra strip connector are broken so have managed to get pressure pressure from the case to make the contact.....so far lasted 4 years

I was hoping to find a dud 2nd hand st 1000 but haven't found one yet

regards
shane

zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee » Dec 17th, '13, 11:08

madmission wrote:i have been on the lookout for a replacement and noticed your post
where can you find such a source of spare parts
I rang Raymarine technical support to find out if the fluxgate was available as a spare part and they told me the part number, that they had stock in Sydney, that any dealer could order parts and that the retail price should be $88.
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

Wanton
Yachtmaster

Post by Wanton » Dec 17th, '13, 23:56

I source my hard to find boat electronic parts from a guy in England who trades on Ebay. I cannot make any recommendation other than what I ordered I received within 5 days in Melbourne Australia in good order. His ebay name is "astra610s". His ebay store is at this link

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/astra610s/m. ... 7675.l2562

Sent from my GT-S7500T using Tapatalk 2
Ed
Wanton C22/110
All I wanna do is sail
http://www.baysidetrailableyachtclub.com
Photo shows Wanton at Nara Inlet, Whitsundays, Qld.

zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee » Dec 18th, '13, 08:54

Wanton wrote:I source my hard to find boat electronic parts from a guy in England who trades on Ebay.
He's got my fluxgate for $100+$15 shipping, which might seem a little expensive compared to $88 locally, except that...
Wanton wrote:I cannot make any recommendation other than what I ordered I received within 5 days in Melbourne Australia in good order.
...I've been waiting nearly two weeks for mine to arrive from Sydney now. I won't be happy if I don't get it by xmas.
Wanton wrote:His ebay name is "astra610s". His ebay store is at this link

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/astra610s/m. ... 7675.l2562
Windvane plug? (item #370591540037)

Wanton
Yachtmaster

Post by Wanton » Dec 18th, '13, 09:29

Zebedee wrote:
Windvane plug?
Yes Zeb, because of this broken plug I was looking at replacing my whole Windvane at a cost upwards of $700. I simply could not find that plug anywhere, retailers here were only interested in selling the whole windvane.

The cost of the replacement plug from England including postage was just about $12 from memory. As I said it arrived quicker than most items purchased on line from Sydney based sellers and in good order as well. It is a shame no one in Australia is supplying these parts, now there is a business proposition from someone if you could source a supply of discontinued parts.
Ed
Wanton C22/110
All I wanna do is sail
http://www.baysidetrailableyachtclub.com
Photo shows Wanton at Nara Inlet, Whitsundays, Qld.

stephen webster
Midshipman

Post by stephen webster » Apr 21st, '14, 22:31

I have a Simrad tp 10 about 6 years old with no problems till now the fuse blows, obviously a short, have had it apart and not found anything obvious . has anyone had this happen,?
Steve Webster

zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee » Apr 21st, '14, 23:07

No, and I haven't pulled a Simrad apart (yet), but...

Does it blow the fuse as soon as it is connected to power? Or does it blow the fuse when something specific happens, such as pushrod extending only, retracting only, or pushrod moving in either direction?

Assuming its similar inside to the Raymarine units, the motor will be easy to disconnect; just remove one of the terminals. This would test for a motor fault pulling too much current. There's not much else in them capable of absorbing much power without visible, if somewhat subtle damage.

I've got Greg's (Inma on the forum) old Simrad tillerpilot which doesn't power up. Since we both use Raymarine ST2000s now, we haven't put much effort into resurrecting it, and it's probably best turned into parts.

Graham

Shaun
Inshore Skipper

Post by Shaun » Jul 10th, '18, 09:46

Thanks Wanton
A very old thread I know, just thought I'd post that the ebay parts supplier "astra610s" that Wanton posted earlier in the thread is still active.
I ordered a part for a Simrad TP and it was delivered from the UK, all up took 8 days from placing order to getting it delivered, excellent service.
cheers

zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee » Jul 10th, '18, 14:55

Did you have any issues with the newly applied GST for small imports? I've had a couple of low value parcels with stuff like cables which simply showed up as usual with no charge.

Shaun
Inshore Skipper

Post by Shaun » Jul 10th, '18, 18:51

No difference, no problems. I did order it just before 1st July so don't know if that made it the same as before???
I think its the responsibility of the supplier to charge the gst then send it to the Oz government??, probably not going to happen if that's the case.

bachus
Yachtmaster

Post by bachus » Jul 10th, '18, 19:23

No way will they be able to collect GST unless from the bigger players like eBay. Only way they could collect is like the old system where you pick the package up at the post office and pay the duties there. Imagine the chaos . . . . . I wonder if Alibaba will collect GST . . . Hmmmm
Jim
Castle 650 #96. Mystic.
Tow hack: Ford Territory TX SZ MkII Auto AWD

az100
Able Skipper

Post by az100 » Jul 10th, '18, 21:21

bachus wrote:No way will they be able to collect GST unless from the bigger players like eBay. Only way they could collect is like the old system where you pick the package up at the post office and pay the duties there. Imagine the chaos . . . . . I wonder if Alibaba will collect GST . . . Hmmmm
Yes, they can and do collect GST from eBay stuff. Just order something and you will see...

I ordered a part on ebay a few days ago, paid with Paypal and on the bill is a GST entry.

Since one can't send cash for payment there is the payment collecting agency that deals with the GST. not the seller nor ebay.
AZ100

Harb
Inshore Skipper

Post by Harb » Jul 11th, '18, 13:51

On ebay is now appearing under "Import Charges".
Was keeping an eye on a ST2000 ,
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Raymarine-A ... 3190766532
and sure enough now it will cost 50 bucks more.
Even then its still about 150 bucks cheaper to buy it overseas then to buy it at Whitworths on special.
Is the local warranty worth the extra 150 bucks ?

zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee » Jul 11th, '18, 15:54

Seems they're attempting to manage it at the suppliers end:

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/fede ... 4zqbw.html

lockie
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by lockie » Jul 12th, '18, 10:31

Harb wrote:On ebay is now appearing under "Import Charges".
Was keeping an eye on a ST2000 ,
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Raymarine-A ... 3190766532
and sure enough now it will cost 50 bucks more.
Even then its still about 150 bucks cheaper to buy it overseas then to buy it at Whitworths on special.
Is the local warranty worth the extra 150 bucks ?
I'm pretty sure Raymarine's 2-year warranty applies world-wide regardless of where you purchase, so there is no difference in how they treat your imported TP from a locally bought one. And if you register on their website you get an extra year.

And since we're talking about tiller pilot parts, I am on the lookout for a main PCB from an ST1000+ or ST2000 (they use the same board). So if you have one that has knackered mechanicals or fluxgate, send me a pm or email at wongaga@gmail.com. Or if you want to fix yours, I have some good spare parts.

Cheers, Graeme

Return to “ELECTRICKERY (Electrical and Electronic Stuff)”