ST1000 autohelm repair - belts replacement

Place for all of the tips, hints, and facts around the electrical and electronic stuff found around Trailer Sailers, Trailers, and associated vehicles.
garymalmgren
Inshore Skipper

Re: ST1000 autohelm repair - belts replacement

Post by garymalmgren » Jul 3rd, '16, 23:57

Hi Mad
A great photo.
Says it all.

Gary

lockie
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by lockie » Jul 14th, '16, 16:49

The June edition of Practical Boat Owner has an article on repairing an ST2000 that was full of corrosion.

Cheers, Graeme

barnaclephill
Able Skipper

Post by barnaclephill » Jul 14th, '16, 20:01

I read that with interest yesterday.

Basically it was all about wiping the circuit board and parts with clean water on a cotton bud and 5mm paint brush (very fine brush), then spraying lacquer and something on all the other bits.

I bought a new ST2000+ autopilot in the past 2 weeks and it's worked perfectly so far. Last weekend with the flood raising my boat relative to the jetty, I installed half my windvane, and plan to complete it this weekend. Hopefully my transom can handle a 27kg motor and 20kg windvane, just like it can handle a person climbing up a ladder.
200 mile coastal delivery trip coming up in 6 weeks' time.
Northerner28.

lockie
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by lockie » Jan 21st, '17, 13:27

My ST2000+ fried itself once again out in Bass Strait. Just as well I had the back-up Simrad TP22 to get me home!

Anyway, the motor is cooked so if anyone has a dead ST2000+ with ok motor that they don't want, I'm keen to take it off your hands.

I've seen "Raymarine ST2000+" motors online for around a hundred quid in the UK. But they are a pretty standard motor made by Mabuchi, so I'm also trying to source one (as a Mabuchi motor, not a Raymarine spare part) through a couple of suppliers.

Now that it's out of warranty, I intend to chase up the mod that added limit switches to turn off the motor at the end of stroke. Keep the water out and then it should go forever!

Cheers, Graeme

zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee » Jan 21st, '17, 14:08

Hi Graeme; I've got an ST2000+ with a fried control board and an ST1000+ with unknown problems which Phill gave to me; I really should get my act together and see what's left over after combining them.

Graham
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

lockie
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by lockie » Jan 21st, '17, 14:32

Ok Graham, let me know if the ST2000 + ST1000 combination doesn't work out, and I'd be delighted to buy the ST2000+ motor (or the whole thing) from you.

By the way, your ex TP10 fluxgate is still giving sterling service in my TP22.

Cheers, Graeme

barnaclephill
Able Skipper

Post by barnaclephill » Jan 21st, '17, 14:35

zebedee wrote: I really should get my act together and see what's left over
It'd be about time to get started Zeb. :roll:
Northerner28.

bachus
Yachtmaster

Post by bachus » Jan 21st, '17, 15:12

I am intrigued on the ST2000+ blowing up like this.
My Castle has really bad weather helm - probably due to running full main and smallest jib most of the time - and the force on the tiller is quite high - especially when heeling. Definitely not finger tip control. But the ST2000+ I use handles it ok. Reading the above I do wonder though. It is just the end stop issue or general wear and tear that kills the motor?

Ps I am working on things to reduce the weather helm but that takes sailing to proof the changes and I have not been doing enough of that of late.
Jim
Castle 650 #96. Mystic.
Tow hack: Ford Territory TX SZ MkII Auto AWD

lockie
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by lockie » Jan 21st, '17, 16:00

The major flaw in the ST2000+ (and I assume the ST1000) is that the motor does not shut off at the end of stroke. In light to moderate conditions this is not a problem, as the boat will generally respond to the tiller fairly quickly and the ST2000 will resume its motion somewhere between the end limits. But in heavier going, especially with a boat that has some inherent weather helm this may not happen for some time so the tiller pilot does itself some mischief.

For me, the mischief took the form of chewing up the cogged drive belt a couple of years ago, and just recently burning out the motor.

The Simrads do not from suffer this as they have built-in stall detection, and will de-energise the motor at the end of stroke.

And yes of course one should have sail perfectly balanced blah blah blah, but in the real world, you just have to rely on the tiller pilot in less-than-ideal conditions.

It is a major design fail for Raymarine that I'm sure could fixed in software, by limiting the stroke time in each direction.

Cheers, Graeme

lockie
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by lockie » Mar 20th, '17, 17:33

Having priced a replacement for the burnt-out motor in my ST2000+, I tried a bit of lateral thinking. I could not locate an exact equivalent anywhere, even from the motor manufacturer (Mabuchi) so I struck a deal with a Chinese mob I found on AliBaba who were willing to make samples to my spec for a pittance. They do this hoping you might come back with a production quantity order. Working backwards from the ST2000+ specs, I came up with motor data that I thought should be fairly close to the original and they (hopefully!) built them to that spec.

I received my 3 sample motors last week and fitted one and conducted sea-trials today, with great success. It has the same stroke time as the original, and I'd say a bit less thrust. Less thrust is actually a good thing since it never had a problem overcoming tiller force before and will be a bit less likely to chew up the cogged belt at the end of stroke. I tried pushing on the ram to judge if it has enough oomph for steering and I'd say it's plenty. It will be interesting to see if the motor can handle the thermal load of constant cycling, although if they made it to my specs it should.

But of course you get what you pay for, ymmv etc, and since this (3 prototype motors made to my spec plus courier) has cost me about 1/3 the cost of a new OEM motor, I'm willing to give it a crack and see what happens.

Cheers, Graeme

Shaun
Inshore Skipper

Post by Shaun » Mar 21st, '17, 10:58

Interesting Graeme, will be also be interesting to hear how they go.
cheers

garymalmgren
Inshore Skipper

Post by garymalmgren » Mar 21st, '17, 21:43

If the originals couldn't handle the work that they were supposed to do, the replacement s don't have such a high bar to meet to match or better them.
Well done so far Gramae

lockie
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by lockie » Feb 10th, '18, 13:24

For anyone interested, the cheap Chinese motor is still going strong in my ST2000+. Mind you it has had a much easier life since I fitted limit switches inside to prevent the end-stroke stall problem. I also added aluminium reinforcement to the plastic gearbox frame that had become damaged due to the stalling. If anyone is interested in the details, let me know. Hopefully I now have a very robust long-lived ST2000+.

I also have another ST2000+ that needs a circuit board, so if you have either a 1000+ or 2000+ that has a good board (they use the same one) but other problems, I'll be very happy to buy it from you.

Cheers, Graeme

tom
Inshore Skipper

Post by tom » Feb 10th, '18, 17:05

DIY arduino tillerpilot .

https://youtu.be/TRd4Qv0znGw

Would love to see a step by step vid of this for the electronically challenged like me.
Cheers, Tom
Haines Hunter Trailer Tri " Triptych " ( For Sale )
South Coast 25
Warneet Motor Yacht Club, Vic

Return to “ELECTRICKERY (Electrical and Electronic Stuff)”