Yakker - NMEA to WIFI bridge

Place for all of the tips, hints, and facts around the electrical and electronic stuff found around Trailer Sailers, Trailers, and associated vehicles.
Pirate Pete
CompetentCrew

Yakker - NMEA to WIFI bridge

Post by Pirate Pete » Jul 23rd, '17, 18:29

Has anyone tried the NMEA to WIFI Bridge made by Yakbitz? Looking for a way to connect my Garmin GPSMAPS135 to my table/phone to do the Navionics Sonar Chart Live as this seems to be the simplest and most cost effective solution.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoIONFjYlQs
Last edited by zebedee on Jul 23rd, '17, 18:31, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: For some bizarre reason you need to remove the "s" from "https" for youtube to work here
Cheers,

Pete
Austral 24 - '250'

svwanabe
CompetentCrew

Re: Yakker - NMEA to WIFI bridge

Post by svwanabe » Jul 24th, '17, 22:01

Don't know much about this sort of electricery but I watched this video with them using a wifi set up with the nmea system to view all nav devices on their tablet. There's is much more complex than any ts would have but for anyone who likes playing with this stuff its a good result. Noel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJUSrbKS1-A
Cole 23
Miami QLD

Furstin
Yachtmaster

Post by Furstin » Jul 24th, '17, 23:33

I'll check out that video, I've had one sitting on the chart table after I had an experience in a pea soup and navionics wouldn't start (doing some 4g licence check in bad coverage I suspect) so I looked for a solution from the boats GPS to a tablet / phone and thus seemed it.
Ps my backup immediate solution was open cpn and rasta on phone.
Biggest consideration is bridging capabilities as you want the WiFi client to be able to access the net via hotspot or puck.

Tapatalk
Borrman 38.

svwanabe
CompetentCrew

Post by svwanabe » Jul 25th, '17, 15:03

Emergency+ will give you lat and long as long as you have mobile network. I used to have a Nikon AW130 with gps that gave lat and long at any time direct to satellites, I think any camera with gps capability will do the same as a back up.
Navionics doesn't need any mobile network to work it operates direct to satellites.
Noel
Cole 23
Miami QLD

Furstin
Yachtmaster

Post by Furstin » Jul 25th, '17, 17:55

svwanabe wrote:Emergency+ will give you lat and long as long as you have mobile network. I used to have a Nikon AW130 with gps that gave lat and long at any time direct to satellites, I think any camera with gps capability will do the same as a back up.
Navionics doesn't need any mobile network to work it operates direct to satellites.
Noel
Well I think it does a license check, not use the network to triangulate.

Tapatalk
Borrman 38.

Tymadman
Able Skipper

Post by Tymadman » Sep 6th, '17, 15:17

Don't forget that Madman Marine also makes a NMEA to WiFi bridge ;-)
www.madmanmarine.com

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
Cheers,

Neil

Crosswind
Ross 650

Return to “ELECTRICKERY (Electrical and Electronic Stuff)”