Charging bigger batteries.........

Place for all of the tips, hints, and facts around the electrical and electronic stuff found around Trailer Sailers, Trailers, and associated vehicles.
Tinggu
Able Skipper

Charging bigger batteries.........

Post by Tinggu » Dec 31st, '17, 17:52

Just wondering: charging the 100 AH with 120W solar and MPPT and very pleased with how it's working out, BUT wondering if I'd be better off running the fridge off the Load connection on the controller while I'm charging or does it make no difference?
So far I've not used Load for anything.
Thanks for another years worth of entertainment laughs and knowledge. BWs for a great night and throughout 2018.
Pete and Kaye
SC23/Northwind 7 "Isabella Jane"
and a canoe

Johny
CompetentCrew

Re: Charging bigger batteries.........

Post by Johny » Dec 31st, '17, 21:51

The load connection just provides a cut out if the Battery gets too discharged Pete. Most fridges nowadays do that for you. I'm still wiring mine and don't plan on using the load connection either.
Jarcat 6. Trailerable 6.2M Catamaran. 9.8HP 2 Stroke Tohatsu.
https://jarcat6.blogspot.com.au/

Tinggu
Able Skipper

Post by Tinggu » Jan 1st, '18, 07:01

Thanks Johny. I guess the other thing is that if a cloud goes over then the amps are not sufficient to start the fridge anyway! I should think these things through before bothering you lot!
End of post!
SC23/Northwind 7 "Isabella Jane"
and a canoe

bachus
Able Skipper

Post by bachus » Jan 1st, '18, 13:00

If re-wiring consider: the solar regulator load output is only useful for cabin lights and "i" devices or equivalent. Navigation lights, VHF and bilge pump you want to run until the battery goes flat. The fridge (well most) have a low voltage cutoff. A keel winch will draw too much current. GPS and sounder - well I would classify these as sacrificial like the cabin lights. So kind of leaves only the cabin lights type of thing.
Jim
Castle 650 #96. Mystic.
Tow hack: Ford Territory TX SZ MkII Auto AWD

Return to “ELECTRICKERY (Electrical and Electronic Stuff)”