Charging our batteries

Place for all of the tips, hints, and facts around the electrical and electronic stuff found around Trailer Sailers, Trailers, and associated vehicles.
Tinggu
Able Skipper

Charging our batteries

Post by Tinggu » Apr 29th, '18, 12:22

https://www.banggood.com/Outdoor-20W-Mu ... rehouse=CN

Only 1.6 A at 12V but "a nice helper under emergent circumference."
SC23/Northwind 7 "Isabella Jane"
and a canoe

bachus
Able Skipper

Re: Charging our batteries

Post by bachus » Apr 29th, '18, 13:14

Argh . . . more stuff . . do I need it, reeaaally need it . . but . . . . nooooooo . . . . but . . . stop thinking about it . . . :-)
Jim
Castle 650 #96. Mystic.
Tow hack: Ford Territory TX SZ MkII Auto AWD

MargGannet
Yachtmaster

Post by MargGannet » Apr 29th, '18, 16:35

Reckon that could be good to get kids to exercise if they want charged devices :-) - especially when on the boat!
Marg
Special Edition NX 25,
LC 80 series
Bayswater North, Vic

colect149
Yachtmaster

Post by colect149 » Apr 29th, '18, 17:30

Before there were Solid State devices we had Valves, these had a filament not unlike a light bulb and as well they needed serious voltage to work. The solution for the Outback was Pedal Wireless, virtually a generator mounted on a pushbike for power. Hundreds of children were educated via the Pedal Wireless.
I once imagined myself sitting on a jetty pedalling away to charge my battery if I was running a fridge. Just another of my wild ideas that never went anywhere.
Farr 5000 Tow hack Kia Sportage 2l FWD, Avan Camper, 1967 MGB roadster, 1932 Austin 7 Sports.

Bligh
Yachtmaster

Post by Bligh » Apr 29th, '18, 18:08

Pedant hat on:
The 'heater' in a valve was typically about 3v but drew a lot of current, the rest of the valve was high voltage, around the 100v mark but drew very little.
You could buy a valve appliance battery and the low voltage component was huge and heavy while the high voltage was quite small in comparison, they were also quite expensive and it was annoying when the low voltage ran flat and the high end was still full, it was one unit but with a bit of cunning you could rig a low voltage pack that was independent but it wouldn't fit inside the unit so was more bulky and untidy.
I built many valve radios when I was at school and a battery was a months pocket money along with the paper round money.
I think they cost about $2 in modern money and when I started as an apprentice I got $1.90 a week (translate to 1 pound 9 shillings, I thought I had made it as the paper round paid 25c a week)
Cole 23 Saltire-Yamaha 9.9-]Nissan Navara 2.5 CRTD Hyundai 120 and Tucson
Skipper Iain-Sanctimonious Pedant
Bosun Rosemary-Who cares
Bilge Rat Soc (dog)Where's my feed bowl
Stowaways-Sarah & Kate
Warneet Motor Yacht Club-Ultimate Association-SICYC

Tezza
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by Tezza » Apr 29th, '18, 18:21

Ahhhg Bligh ,
Silly old farts mental lapse $1.90 is 19bob.
Sonata 6 Mango

MartinDreaming
Able Skipper

Post by MartinDreaming » Apr 29th, '18, 18:44

I love Chinglish, "... the sway of the uniform". I'm guessing its about converting AC to DC (or the other way round), but I can't get the image of a thousand Chinese military dancers swaying in their uniforms out of my head.
Austral 20 Mark 2 "Yakumin", Sail Number 108
http://theboattinkerer.blogspot.com.au/

colect149
Yachtmaster

Post by colect149 » Apr 29th, '18, 20:10

Bligh, 6.3 volt heaters in domestic 240 volt Radios and Televisions. Car Radios had a Vibrator (yes ladies a vibrator) to develop high tension. "Portable" radios had 1.5 volt heaters and I think most had two neveready Minimax batteries of 45volts for high tension, There were the "Personal Portables" about the size and weight of a brick (with batteries) they might have had a combination "A" and "B" battery. Just before solid state arrived, car radios had 12 volt valves - I never understood how they worked. Only old farts like me remember all this stuff. I still have a Kriesler sterogram and a mantel radio that still work,
Farr 5000 Tow hack Kia Sportage 2l FWD, Avan Camper, 1967 MGB roadster, 1932 Austin 7 Sports.

Bligh
Yachtmaster

Post by Bligh » Apr 29th, '18, 20:23

I was relying on memory from a long time ago, 2x45v, yes a 90v rail, 1.5v was correct, I was guessing from a long time ago.
Had one of those radios with the vibrator to convert DCto pulsating DC which could then be boosted through a transformer.
The vibrator alone was noisy and the whole thing could flatten your battery in a few hours (about 4) as I discovered the hard way.
So much for the good old days, then we got germanium transistors which didn't like soldering irons, I fried more than my fair share of them, very unreliable but a step in the right direction, whilst the yanks were pursuing silicon the poms wouldn't have a bar of it for a few years.
Cole 23 Saltire-Yamaha 9.9-]Nissan Navara 2.5 CRTD Hyundai 120 and Tucson
Skipper Iain-Sanctimonious Pedant
Bosun Rosemary-Who cares
Bilge Rat Soc (dog)Where's my feed bowl
Stowaways-Sarah & Kate
Warneet Motor Yacht Club-Ultimate Association-SICYC

az100
Able Skipper

Post by az100 » Apr 29th, '18, 21:26

That banggood box is way too expensive IMO, for its useful power output.

I have a little green torch which has a fold out handle in its base. Wind that for a minute and the light lasts for quite some time. Kept on board for emergencies and it works every time when I test it.
Of course, there is a charging socket for the internal batteries as well..

Now, that gadget *is* useful.

Return to “ELECTRICKERY (Electrical and Electronic Stuff)”