Another lakes trip

Victorian Trip Reports
luckyphil666
Midshipman

Another lakes trip

Post by luckyphil666 » Jul 10th, '16, 21:41

Heading to the Gippy lakes again this week. Head down on Wed night and launch on Thurs. Looks like a bit of a window of OK weather in between the floods and storms we have been having. No clear destination in mind, depends on the wind and weather.
wish me luck.
Cheers
Phil

Peter Yates
Admiral

Re: Another lakes trip

Post by Peter Yates » Jul 10th, '16, 21:44

Good luck Phil.

We had to abandon our planned week down there due to the weather last month. Hopefully you have better luck.
Peter Y

Investigator 563 "Tricksy"
"Myf" the skiff

luckyphil666
Midshipman

Post by luckyphil666 » Jul 17th, '16, 22:16

Hi All,
Just back from the lakes trip, very much a mixed bag of conditions. Drove down Wed night and set up and launched Thurs. Wind was already pretty strong (too much for me anyway) so just motored over to Ocean grange and moored on the inside of the jetty. Wind was funneling along Bunga arm and it was fairly lumpy even on the sheltered side of the jetty. Went for a walk, threw out a fishing line and huddled below out of the wind, it eased off about 4.30 pm so had a peaceful nights sleep anyway.
Friday was still blowy so motored down to Steamer landing and had a bit of a walk. Wind picked up again so I decided to find somewhere sheltered, I motored up the channel behind the pump out barge which was still windy but no chop, anchored in about 1.8m and retired below to read (and powernap) Anyway it started to get a bit lumpy, so I thought the wind must have shifted more to the South. Popped my head out to find the anchor had dragged and we were merrily drifting down Bunga arm, Start outboard pull up anchor plus a huge mat of weed, and try to find another sheltered spot. Found a little inlet on the ocean side which looked shallow but anchored in 1.2m and made sure the bugger held this time. About 4.30pm the wind dropped again so I decided to try something I have wondered about for a long time, a night sail. Set off around 5.00pm and had fun following the Aurora channel lights out. Once in the main lake set the headsail, and with Occy on the helm (my self steering system, tiller lock and occy strap across the cockpit) it was off to Metung. Apart from keeping an eye out, and giving Occy a nudge when he wandered off course, I spent most of the time sitting in the companionway or just below out of the wind drinking cuppas. Got to Metung around 10.00 (yeah it`s slow, but was I in a hurry ?) and moored up to the public jetty at Chinamans ck.
Saturday I went for a walk into Metung and around to Shaving point, went back to the boat, and the guy on the big commercial fishing boat next to me arrives with a petrol powered pressure washer and a heap of other noisy looking gear, so I decided to head back toward Paynesville. Motored around Shaving point and a light breeze fooled me into thinking I could sail back. 2 hours later I still hadnt cleared Tambo bluff, so on with the outboard, out into lake King which was a sheet of glass, not a breath of wind. Anchored around from Tambo bluff and pretended to fish, but mostly lay out in the warm sun. Resumed the voyage around 4.30pm and got to Paynesville after dark and moored up at Progress jetty.
Got up this morning and could not get the main hatch open, so I got out through the fore hatch and after skating along the deck realised that the main hatch was FROZEN !!! which was why it would not open. ICE !!! all over the boat, so after breakfast, and when things started thawing out, I had to go out and drift around with the sails up to dry them out before packing them away. Headed back to the ramp, hauled out, packed up, had shower, and headed home.
So, a mixed bag of a trip, from too much wind to dead calm, my first night voyage, a beautiful warm day, to ice on the boat. Life is never boring is it ?
Cheers
Phil

Peter Yates
Admiral

Post by Peter Yates » Jul 17th, '16, 23:40

Nice report Phil thanks. As you said, a really mixed bag. Bunga Arm is a nice place to bumble about in.

I am not thinking about overnighting in Gypsy but if I had your icing experience, I would have been trapped as Gypsy lacks a fore-hatch. She also lacks lights and electrics so no night sailing for me.

What sort of boat do you have?
Peter Y

"Myf" the skiff

zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee » Jul 18th, '16, 02:45

luckyphil666 wrote:...About 4.30pm the wind dropped again so I decided to try something I have wondered about for a long time, a night sail. Set off around 5.00pm and had fun following the Aurora channel lights out. ... Got to Metung around 10.00 (yeah it`s slow, but was I in a hurry ?) and moored up to the public jetty at Chinamans ck.
I motored over from Paynesville to Ocean Grange one dead still moonless night. To my amazement I got all the way without touching bottom anywhere; the next morning I realised I had my keel up all the way.
One night I sailed from Metung, south of Raymond island and into Paynesville from the south, arriving about 2am; if you reckon you've got the lake to yourself on a winter weekday afternoon, that's nothing on 2am. The next week is looking half reasonable weather-wise too.
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

luckyphil666
Midshipman

Post by luckyphil666 » Jul 20th, '16, 21:51

Hi Peter,
I have a Sunmaid 20, big enough for a few days and nights, but not too bad to set up, launch and handle by myself. In warmer weather my wife loves sailing so there are the 2 of us, but not when it is this cold.
Hi Zeb,
It is a different ballgame sailing at night, trying to make sense of where the multitude of lights are when viewed from sea level, and gauging distance are a challenge at times. I will definitely be doing it again, as it is very peaceful and relaxing, (at least in light winds).
Cheers
Phil

zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee » Jul 20th, '16, 22:20

I had the rather entertaining (afterwards) experience of getting to the divide in the channels going into Bunga Arm and finding that my GPS waypoints corresponded to the unlit channel. I could have GPS waypoints or marker lights but not both! Proper preparation etc... At least I had my keel fully up...
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

Peter Yates
Admiral

Post by Peter Yates » Jul 20th, '16, 22:35

zebedee wrote:I had the rather entertaining (afterwards) experience of getting to the divide in the channels going into Bunga Arm and finding that my GPS waypoints corresponded to the unlit channel. I could have GPS waypoints or marker lights but not both! Proper preparation etc... At least I had my keel fully up...

But did you collide with any of the unlit channel markers? I've done that while not keeping a proper look-out in broad daylight! Left my mark on one of them. :oops:
Peter Y

"Myf" the skiff

zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee » Jul 21st, '16, 01:02

Peter Yates wrote:But did you collide with any of the unlit channel markers? I've done that while not keeping a proper look-out in broad daylight! Left my mark on one of them. :oops:
No comment.

Ahh what the heck. Confession time.

I bonged one of the posts coming into Bunga Arm with the Dennis once while trying too hard to mark the location of the post on the GPS. Got it about a metre back from the bow, the aluminium capping strip on the gunwhale join protected from scraping, but there was a little crazing in the gelcoat.

Oh yes, in broad daylight of course.

Return to “Victoria”