Depth Sounder

Victorian Trip Reports
newby22
Inshore Skipper

Depth Sounder

Post by newby22 » Oct 31st, '16, 22:35

Can anyone please suggest a good depth sounder, for my Castle 550?

I don't know anything about them.

I've heard that there are some that show the depth in front of the boat, not just under the boat. It sounds like a great plan - to know what depth is approaching......

I'm planning to do some cruising, soon...I'm worried that my "dagger" centreplate might rip the boat in two, if I run aground suddenly......

Cheers

Mark
Mark

Castle 550, Number 16, "Bella"
Devoti D-One, "Wing It"
59er, 087, "Fling"

FLUKE "The portion of an anchor that digs securely into the bottom, holding a boat in place; also, any occasion when this occurs on the first try"

bachus
Yachtmaster

Re: Depth Sounder

Post by bachus » Oct 31st, '16, 23:01

Not so sure about looking forward but my sounder does give the bottom profile and you can see shoaling in advance if you are watching. I really doubt you would get enough warning if the bottom suddenly shoaled though as in cliff like if travelling at any speed. But it may be possible. Sounds expensive though. The other nice thing/side benefit is that you can also see the type of bottom ie sand or rock. But mine is a relatively unsophisticated Garmin 551S I bought on fleabay second hand. The dual frequency transducer is firing trough the hull ahead of the Castle 650 centre case. There is a thread here with photos of the depth view: http://www.trailersailerplace.com.au/ph ... 41#p165541
Jim
Castle 650 #96. Mystic.
Tow hack: Ford Territory TX SZ MkII Auto AWD

zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee » Oct 31st, '16, 23:36

A simple depth sounder which gives no more than a numerical depth in metres or feet seems to be no cheaper than a basic fishfinder, so you probably want an entry level fishfinder with the option to show depth in large numbers on the screen.

Whitworths cheapest fishfinder, at $140, is a Lowrance with a colour screen. They seem to have given up selling stand alone depth sounders.

CH Smith have similar prices for basic units:
http://www.chsmith.com.au/Products/Lowr ... inder.html
http://www.chsmith.com.au/Products/Garm ... inder.html

Mount the transducer on the inside of the hull ahead of your centrecase; there's lots of info on how to do this already on TSP.
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

Pirate
Inshore Skipper

Post by Pirate » Oct 31st, '16, 23:53

Much like holden versus ford......
Theres not a great deal of difference between the well know brands, even prices can mimic each other between the models at times.

And much like cars.......
How much can you afford versus how much do you want to spend are just as varied as the range of available units.

As for the "foward scanning" thing you speak of.....
It largely depends on where you locate the transducer in your boat.
Down near the stern is often an essy and convenient place but usually you've run aground by the time youve seen an underwater obstacle on the screen......
So placing the transducer towards the bow makes far more sence, and again its often placed with the unit not being level with the waterline but out of level whole following the chine line up. This gives an angled view and as a result the meterage can be seriously effected.

Your next consideration is screen type and indeed size.
If your eyesight has seen better days then a 3inch screen might be painfull but a 5 inch might be ok and the 7 or 9 inch is just wow !!!!..... as is the price

One thing you need to seriously look at is the units location in the boat.....
That 3inch screen might be perfect if the unit is right beside you..... a 10 inch screen might best suit in the cabin out of the sunlight..... which is another factor in itself, so now we're looking for a unit thay may have a sun shade as an accessory

And seeing you are going to do some cruising then maybe a chartplotter might be cool too, and yes there are units that do both with a split screen and now your 7 inch screen is actually smaller than the 5 inch screen doing one task
;)

My best advice.......
Go to a BCF store or other marine stores and look at all the options ......
Guage what you wsnt versus what you can justify spending then you have the starting point with which you can work out what will then suit the boat.

Me......
Lowrance dsi unit does my depth sounding
And another lowrance unit does the chart plotting.
Both of the units are 5inch and both came from Gumtree and cost me under $400 for the 2 units.
Yar, & this ere post be done without a sin'le drop o' rum passin' me lips ..... maybe ;)
https://www.facebook.com/RL24LightningJack/

luckyphil666
Midshipman

Post by luckyphil666 » Nov 1st, '16, 20:30

I have an older Lowrance X67c fishfinder which also takes a paddle wheel speed and distance log which I bought later and fitted. Transducer for the sounder, and log wheel are both on the transom. Only issues I have are that the paddle wheel is in an area of turbulence and doesnt give accurate readings. Depth and temp are good to have, finder is also handy for my pretending to fish. Most fish finders also have deep and shallow water alarms which may save a centerboard, although how much warning is another matter.
Cheers
Phil

jackb
Midshipman

Post by jackb » Nov 1st, '16, 20:57

I use a Raymarine WI-Fish on Christina, also allows anyone on board with a smart phone or an old throw away ipad/tablet use a sonar while onboard.
Whitworths where i brought it

Hey Simon, that is the depth when i am docked on the pontoon at a 30cm low tide, is 6.8 to 8 metres at high tide. Pontoon is a deep channel but cant leave it at low tide.

newby22
Inshore Skipper

Post by newby22 » Nov 1st, '16, 21:08

Thanks everyone, so far. I don't have the "thumbs up" icon showing on the replies, only a red exclamation mark.

So, i can't "thank" for the reply. Does anyone have any help with this , please?
Mark

Castle 550, Number 16, "Bella"
Devoti D-One, "Wing It"
59er, 087, "Fling"

FLUKE "The portion of an anchor that digs securely into the bottom, holding a boat in place; also, any occasion when this occurs on the first try"

MartinDreaming
Able Skipper

Post by MartinDreaming » Nov 2nd, '16, 11:35

Pirate wrote:One thing you need to seriously look at is the units location in the boat.....
May I recommend something mounted on a RAM mount?

Many (or all?) modern fishfinders/depthfinders come with a RAM mount fitting - actually, all you need is a 1 inch ball. The advantages are that you could mount the arm inside the companionway (thus is stored under cover and out of sight from thieves), so that all you need to do is swing it out for use. The adjustable arm means you can get the angle right for better reading. Further, if (when) the unit dies, it's a very simple task to unmount it and replace it with another.

My boat came with the fishfinder set into a hole on the companionway bulkhead. If (when) I need to replace it, I'd probably have to re-cut the hole (Murphy's law stating that no two fishfinders have the same dimensions). And I've got a hole in the bulkhead. Now its on a RAM arm, replacing it is easy, I don't have a hole in the bulkhead, I can adjust the angle and I can stow it out of the weather and out of sight. OK, so I had to drill some small holes (4mm?) for the mounting bolts, but that's got to be better than cutting big holes in the fibreglass.
Austral 20 Mark 2 "Yakumin", Sail Number 108
http://theboattinkerer.blogspot.com.au/

bachus
Yachtmaster

Post by bachus » Nov 2nd, '16, 13:47

+1

Have upgraded from the old tracker 900 to the Garmin 551s and subsequently a bigger hole. Yes, avoid cutting holes in the first place.
Jim
Castle 650 #96. Mystic.
Tow hack: Ford Territory TX SZ MkII Auto AWD

bunyip
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by bunyip » Nov 2nd, '16, 14:41

Hi Mark
I too have lost the thumbs up icon... must be a generic issue.
I use the Raymarine ST60+ which is less of a fishfinder and more of a sailing tool with COG,SOG etc etc
Which ever you chose, mount the transducer amidships as per instructions to reduce heel error.
I have set a useful offset of 50cm... a fudge factor if you like so that when crew are getting excited about a shoaling 2m of water, you can rest easy knowing you are still in 2.5 m.
I always use the shallow water alarm which is invaluable when single-handing... its like having a little friend in the cockpit, keeping an eye on the depth for you, and its piercing sound is always audible above the wind.

If it helps, BCF have a sale of 10% off Garmin electronics until Sunday for members (free entry via the web).
Pete
"Life's not a dress rehearsal"

Cooper
Admiral

Post by Cooper » Nov 2nd, '16, 15:13

The thumbs up/like icon appears in some sections and not in others. It appears to be a glitch rather than a plan, according to the admins, from memory. :lol:

Coops.
Some people are like clouds. When they go away it makes the day seem brighter.

zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee » Nov 2nd, '16, 18:46

The shallow water alarm can be an irritation if you regularly berth at a jetty/wharf with shallow water; several of the jetties at Paynesville are shallow enough to use the "park brake"...
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

Return to “Victoria”