First outing in the Clipper17

Victorian Trip Reports
lakeman
Midshipman

First outing in the Clipper17

Post by lakeman » Dec 22nd, '12, 00:04

Well, following the spontaneous purchase of the Clipper17 about 4 weeks ago, I have finally hit the water. Given my extremely limited sailing experience, I chose to mooch around Lake Wendouree (Ballarat, Vic) under power (outboard) to get a general feel for things.

The very first outing last weekend quickly highlighted a couple of problems: 1) leg on outboard not quite long enough so immediate problems with power and, therefore, a very short trip approx 20m away from the ramp then gave up. 2) badly worn teeth on the winch resulting in dramas getting the boat back on the trailer. As home is only 500m away I mananged to secure the boat and get home safely.

So......work to be done. I purchased a new winch and fitted it during the week and it works a treat. Followed by the purchase of a second hand outboard bracket which I fitted this afternoon.

Voyage #2 this evening, back on Wendouree and all went really well. A little bit of cruising with the 4hp outboard performing nicely. A quick stop to pick up my wife, who had collected pizza and drinks for the lap of the lake. Magnificent!

The plan now is to keep familiarising myself with the boat and eventually get that mast up.....but baby steps for the time being.

Hopefully some photos to come.

Cheers. :)
Last edited by lakeman on Dec 22nd, '12, 21:51, edited 1 time in total.

mees
Able Skipper

Re: First outing in the Clipper17

Post by mees » Dec 22nd, '12, 08:15

Congratulations, you succesfully tackled the initial problems :wink:
It's probably a good idea (if you say your sailing skills are limited) to take someone with you on your first sailing voyage. I'm sure there are TSP ers near you who are willing to give you a hand.
Mees

Farr 6000 "Rosie"

appo
Inshore Skipper

Post by appo » Dec 22nd, '12, 11:09

Thats great, well done!

How did you go with the rudder?

Photos would be great!!
Unfortunately my clipper is now packed away under the house, we are off to our place in the philippines for a month or two next week.
You went full retard, man. Never go full retard...!

Projects -
17ft Clipper.
1950 BSA Bantam

lakeman
Midshipman

Post by lakeman » Dec 22nd, '12, 19:52

mees wrote:Congratulations, you succesfully tackled the initial problems :wink:
It's probably a good idea (if you say your sailing skills are limited) to take someone with you on your first sailing voyage. I'm sure there are TSP ers near you who are willing to give you a hand.

Yep, good call. I have a friend who sails smaller boats competitively with the local yacht club so he's lined up to help out. I'm keen to keep progressing though. Cheers!

lakeman
Midshipman

Post by lakeman » Dec 22nd, '12, 19:55

appo wrote:Thats great, well done!

How did you go with the rudder?

Photos would be great!!
Unfortunately my clipper is now packed away under the house, we are off to our place in the philippines for a month or two next week.

No rudder yet unfortunately; didn't need it though as I was just using the outboard. Lots of fun though.
Last edited by lakeman on Dec 22nd, '12, 21:50, edited 1 time in total.

appo
Inshore Skipper

Post by appo » Dec 22nd, '12, 19:56

It is fun, i used mine heaps without a rudder and without the mast up!
I used it like a power boat !!
I probably looked like a moron....... But who cares!

Projects -
17ft Clipper.
1950 BSA Bantam

zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee » Jan 30th, '13, 16:14

appo wrote:It is fun, i used mine heaps without a rudder and without the mast up!
I used it like a power boat !!
I probably looked like a moron....... But who cares!
You may think you looked like a moron, but to the vast majority of people ashore you looked like some lucky Bustard with a boat.
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

appo
Inshore Skipper

Post by appo » Feb 2nd, '13, 19:55

I just got back to Manila after weeks up north with no phone/internet or anything!
Back in Australia next week.

Seems theres lots of reading on here to catch up on?!!

Appo

Projects -
17ft Clipper.
1950 BSA Bantam

Return to “Victoria”