It is currently Apr 22nd, '18, 22:17

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Jan 31st, '18, 21:46 
Inshore Skipper

Have thanks: 13 times
This is primarily an irrigation lake, formed 60 years ago by damming the Barron River. When full it is two-thirds the size of Sydney Hbr, but sadly that has not been the case since 2006. Over the last 3 summers the capacity has been as low as 36%, and sailing can be a little hazardous. The low water level has provided us with a safe mooring area between the trees, but a number of "sticks" are starting to appear around us and the low visibility means we cannot see them coming.

For the first photo I am standing at about "full" level, and Peridot is over 9m down at the moment. Second photo shows a Sunmaid and a Ross 780 on a pontoon. A local sawmill won the contract to remove some of the trees as the lake originally formed, expected to take 10 years. It caught everyone by surprise and filled in 18 months.

It is a "stocked impoundment" and is widely known for big baramundi, so there are a lot of trees to provide habitat. But over the years, at times when the lake has been a similar level to now, a lot of trees have been cut at near water-level, to increase area for water-skiing and sailing. So our navigable area is rather restricted.

We hit a stump on the 12th that caught us by surprise, we were in 13m of water and at least 50m off-shore. Both our centre-board and rudder are held down by ropes which pop out of the cleats when we hit something, but this one was unexpected.

2 photos are my limit in tapatalk, so will start another post. (Learning).
Attachment:
IMG_0647.JPG
IMG_0647.JPG [ 40.99 KiB | Viewed 887 times ]
Attachment:
IMG_0646.JPG
IMG_0646.JPG [ 42.19 KiB | Viewed 887 times ]

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

"Peridòt", 6.0m Jim Young, and 05 Jeep Renegade Cherokee

PostPosted: Jan 31st, '18, 22:21 
Inshore Skipper

Learning is right, the order of the photos is reversed !

The trailer sailers meet each Friday for a sail and then raft up for a social hour. 8 is our best number to date, on the 12th it was just 3. A very sheltered cove in the prevailing SE. When the lake is full the level is almost up to the trees, an established picnic spot.

The scrub that has grown over the last 3 years is difficult to walk through and there is a good chance you will catch Scrub Itch. Caused by a microscopic mite carried by wallabies and scrub turkeys, that likes to migrate up your legs over 12 hours or so and then bite around buttocks and waste-line. We have eventually found a medication to deal with it, but would rather avoid it.

There are several "arms" to the lake, all have trees, most have a channel and a rather haphazard scattering of markers. Speed limit is restricted at this level, but there is potential for accidents. Most of these trees will be covered again one day.

There has been a little rain over the last 2 weeks and the level has come up about 2%. We pulled Peridot out on the 13th, to prepare for some salt water south in the autumn.

PostPosted: Jan 31st, '18, 22:25 
Inshore Skipper

Now the 2 photos I had here have fallen off !
Will try again -

PeterImageImage

For this message the author Peridot has received thanks: Slammin (Feb 1st, '18, 16:19)
  Rating: 5%

PostPosted: Jan 31st, '18, 22:57 
Inshore Skipper

Have thanks: 28 times
Thanks for the update it looks good. Its one of those places where a centreboard boat really works well.
I plan to get up there once the dam is near capacity again and I can safety use my boat.

PostPosted: Feb 1st, '18, 09:37 
Able Skipper

Have thanks: 59 times
Glad to see yachting can be done in Queenland lakes. Is that generally or is Lake Tinaroo "special"? When we first got our boat I thought it would be fun to put her on our local lake,Toolondo, Victoria, just for the fun of it. Then I found that Victoria's lakes and dams, with the exception of Eildon, forbid the use of any boat that has sleeping accommodation and/or toilet facilities. I can understand why a pump-out toilet might might not be a great idea but with a porta loo and holding tank for grey water.........what is the problem? Surely more hygienic than being "caught out" and doing one's business over the side. Fishermen would be doing that when they are out for a day. Is this a left-over from before the days of porta loos or is there some other terrific reason to not allow our trailersailer on our local lake, which happens to be purely recreational?

PostPosted: Feb 1st, '18, 16:24 
Able Skipper

Have thanks: 81 times
Thanks for the report. I've only sailed up there on my Windrush and it was a bit hairy then. A guy I knew from the Sailing Club managed to hit the bar just off the clubhouse at speed. A bit ouchy and snappy.

I want to bring the family up especially during stinger season but the lack of water is a real concern.

BTW how are the mozzies at night?

PostPosted: Feb 2nd, '18, 16:16 
Inshore Skipper

Tinaroo with water in it is a lovely spot. There is a Mayday Regatta mostly for off the beach boats that is arguably the best regatta of its type in NQLD.

PostPosted: Feb 2nd, '18, 22:38 
Inshore Skipper

Hi Jon, I thought from your posts about preparing Slingshot that you came from way down south, but your reference to May Day Regattas give you away. My first time was 2009, I crewed on a Taser, and there were about 100 boats. I will try and post a few old photos. Tinaroo Sailing Club has produced some very good sailors in recent years, particularly in Open Bics, with several world champs. Look at the web site or facebook page for the latest.

Your boat would be a little out of place at the moment, there is a speed restriction of 6 knots, except in a water-ski area and that is at the southern end. Lake level is way below the end of the concrete launching ramps, and a little local knowledge is needed to use the beach.

The Sailing Club is still running their normal programme, but mainly just the smaller boats. Too dangerous for the Nacras, etc. We have had a few TS races, would be much better with more water. The level has come up about 200mm with recent rain, but we need much more. It just does not seem to fall in the catchment area these days.

This photo is the Cairns Wooden Boat Assn, 2012, Queen's Birthday weekend, the lake was virtually full and we were camped in the trees.
Attachment:
IMG_0230.JPG
IMG_0230.JPG [ 50.98 KiB | Viewed 775 times ]

PostPosted: Feb 2nd, '18, 23:00 
Inshore Skipper

Photos of the May Day Regatta, 2012

Peter
Attachment:
IMG_2277.JPG
IMG_2277.JPG [ 98.35 KiB | Viewed 773 times ]
Attachment:
IMG_0660.JPG
IMG_0660.JPG [ 22.49 KiB | Viewed 773 times ]

PostPosted: Feb 2nd, '18, 23:32 
Inshore Skipper

The photo of the Bic fleet is a photo of a photo so not very good.

The photo of the sign by each boat ramp shows deeper water to the NW where the dam wall is, and this is our sailing area. There is also open water in the eastern and southern arms, but not easily accessed at the moment because the channels are lined with trees, some cut near water level. You may see a white marker and a bird nest, both below full lake level.

Peter.
Attachment:
E2A4373E-DE46-4FF4-B5F6-4D4EC7A5A1FE.JPG
E2A4373E-DE46-4FF4-B5F6-4D4EC7A5A1FE.JPG [ 44.86 KiB | Viewed 770 times ]
Attachment:
IMG_0658.JPG
IMG_0658.JPG [ 26.96 KiB | Viewed 770 times ]

PostPosted: Feb 2nd, '18, 23:57 
Inshore Skipper

Hello Tingu

My Dad used to say, "ask no questions, hear no lies". Ignorance is bliss in my case. We accept it as normal to use a chemical toilet, there are dump points at the 2 commercial caravan parks. Some of the local communities drink lake water, after suitable treatment of course, so we are all aware of our responsibilities. I know several other lakes we have looked at in Queensland have a "no overnight" rule, but that is not obvious at Tinaroo.

As the level goes down the water gets "thicker", but our regular Friday afternoon crowd includes several doctors and they happily swim in it. There is so much wild-life around the lake that human polutant is relatively minor, it is the perceived consequence of it that reminds us of responsibilities.

Friday, cruising back to the moorings as the sun sets.
Attachment:
6BBFE016-1BA1-40F2-9913-4C148B7BE2FF-2.JPG
6BBFE016-1BA1-40F2-9913-4C148B7BE2FF-2.JPG [ 43.93 KiB | Viewed 771 times ]

PostPosted: Feb 3rd, '18, 00:27 
Inshore Skipper

Hello Slammin

That bar you mention is a significant island at the moment, with a couple of shallow spits on the west and east ends, and a couple of stumps just under water. We are careful to follow the old river-bed to get past it. The Sailing Club has a map on their website showing the main hazards, and it can be down-loaded and gps added. I use a chart plotter and leave all my tracks. I also have about 12 "marks" where we have hit a stump or know from the club map where one should be, but there are still too many variables at the moment.

We find there are very few mosquitoes, but small bugs are a real nuisance at twilight. We have tropical fly screen on all our openings and burn a mozzie coil on the cockpit foor, but the bugs are attracted to the light inside and will commit hare-kare to get to it. We need to close up before dark, and keep the fly-spray handy.

This photo shows the same grey mooring bouy as in a previous group photo, but this is a couple of years older and the scrub has not grown. I could take Dam Dog ashore then, I can't now. Should be good for redclaw when the tide comes in.

Peter.
Attachment:
6E6902B4-461A-441F-9EAE-16C6136DD8FE.JPG
6E6902B4-461A-441F-9EAE-16C6136DD8FE.JPG [ 51.38 KiB | Viewed 770 times ]

PostPosted: Feb 3rd, '18, 12:40 
Inshore Skipper

Peridot,
I am currently in Cairns but I move a lot for work with 17 interstate/international relocations in the past 28 years. I have lived in every mainland state and territory. I like NQLD the best of all the places I have lived ( PNG was better but not family friendly).

I would like to try Tassie for a couple of years.

Last time I was up this way I used to sail NACRAs then Taipan 4.9 out of Townsville/ Port Douglas sailing clubs and the Mayday Regatta was an excellent start to the season (for southerners the sailing season is reversed for the kids to avoid the stingers).

PostPosted: Feb 9th, '18, 23:59 
Inshore Skipper

Lake Tinaroo - Progress -

First time on the lake for 4 weeks and what a difference. Have had some rain in the right place at last, the level is rising around 200mm each day. Wet again today, but the interesting thing was Paul's version of a Hartley 16, well from the gunwhales down anyway. Sunwater should lift the 6 knot speed limit in the next few days.

Peter.

"Missie Lee" -Image

PostPosted: Feb 10th, '18, 11:47 
Inshore Skipper

Thanks for the edit. Peter

PostPosted: Mar 8th, '18, 13:59 
Able Skipper