It is currently Aug 15th, '18, 20:47

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Apr 8th, '14, 19:47 
Yachtmaster

Have thanks: 476 times
Looks like my good old Yamaha 8Hp is going to god, as the problems just keep coming and the price of the repair keeps heading North.

As much as i love that motor its time to cut my losses and buy a new one

So the question is when I replace it how many horses do I need, the 8Hp drove it along at hull speed at around 2/3 throttle into around 3 or 4 knts of current and a slight head wind.

I notice that Parsun have a 5.8Hp 2 stroke long shaft that is pretty cheap ($915) but its single cylinder, and Im not sure if will have the power to drive into a headwind and sea.

Once I go to 6Hp there is a dramatic price rise and weight rise (21Kg for the 5.8 and 27kg for the 6, 8 and 9.9), one would be silly to get a 6Hp ($1500) as the 9.8 is only $150 more and its the same weight (same motor I believe with different carby)

Any thoughts on what power rating? Is it worth spending the extra to go twin cylinder?

Warneet Motor Yacht Club
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClULxhArKeEpFb_3-iYna5w/videos

PostPosted: Apr 8th, '14, 21:13 
Admiral

Have thanks: 1033 times
sailboatmike wrote:
...how many horses do I need, the 8Hp drove it along at hull speed at around 2/3 throttle into around 3 or 4 knts of current and a slight head wind.

I've got a Honda BF5 (4 stroke single, 5hp, 27kg) on a Castle, which is a whisker bigger than the Sunmaid.

I wouldn't want anything heavier particularly if manhandling it off the transom regularly.
I wouldn't go smaller, but the 5hp has been quite sufficient. I would think 8hp would be overkill unless its the 8hp version of a common 6hp & 8hp design.
At under 30kg in a four stroke, you won't get a twin and I doubt you'll get past 6hp.

I don't like 2 strokes, but I accept that other people do not share my predjudices.

sailboatmike wrote:
I notice that Parsun have a 5.8Hp 2 stroke long shaft that is pretty cheap ($915) but its single cylinder, and Im not sure if will have the power to drive into a headwind and sea.

5.8hp should be enough. I can't see much point in choosing a twin over a single.

sailboatmike wrote:
Once I go to 6Hp there is a dramatic price rise and weight rise (21Kg for the 5.8 and 27kg for the 6, 8 and 9.9), one would be silly to get a 6Hp ($1500) as the 9.8 is only $150 more and its the same weight (same motor I believe with different carby)

Any thoughts on what power rating? Is it worth spending the extra to go twin cylinder?

That's the real question; $915 for a 21kg 5.8hp single or $1650 for a 27kg 9.9hp twin.

Do either of them have an alternator?

A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

PostPosted: Apr 8th, '14, 21:58 
Yachtmaster

No alternator, just stock standard outboard, best price for a reasonable brand I could find (thats if you consider Parsun reasonable), there is some Hungfu or similar brands for cheaper but Im not to sure about them and the support network.

In the Parsun the 6, 8 and 9.9 seem common motors (they all weigh the same 27Kg) and the cost difference in minimal

Warneet Motor Yacht Club

PostPosted: Apr 8th, '14, 22:15 
CompetentCrew

Have thanks: 7 times
We were at the tinnie tackle 4wd boguns-on-tour-show on the weekend .. We asked aParsun dealer to sell us a motor for our S7 tender 3.5hp .. He refused to sell, and introduced us to the Tohatsu ealer .. He totally canned the Parsen for use over 6 months .. Surprised me as I've read ok reviews ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Apr 8th, '14, 22:30 
Yachtmaster

Im just going from the experience of my mate who has a 9.9 Parsun and thinks its wonderful, always seems to start first pull and never misses a beat.

Im always suspect of motors that dont get run much, motors need to run on a regular basis to last

Warneet Motor Yacht Club

PostPosted: Apr 9th, '14, 11:25 
Able Skipper

Have thanks: 84 times
Quote:
That's the real question; $915 for a 21kg 5.8hp single or $1650 for a 27kg 9.9hp twin.

I bought a Mercury 15hp (badge engineered Tohatsu - same weight as 9.9) for $1750 new with 4l of oil, tank and lines.........

PostPosted: Apr 9th, '14, 11:47 
Yachtmaster

PaulS wrote:
Quote:

I bought a Mercury 15hp (badge engineered Tohatsu - same weight as 9.9) for $1750 new with 4l of oil, tank and lines.........

According to Mercury the 15Hp and 9.9 do weigh the same but at 35Kg are hardly light weights

http://www.mercurymarine.com.au/home/outboards/twostroke/15-hp-6-hp/99-hp.aspx

Warneet Motor Yacht Club

PostPosted: Apr 9th, '14, 13:09 
Able Skipper

Have thanks: 84 times
True! It is 8kg heavier but depends whether you have to move it off the transom regularly or you are a racing enthusiast and want the light weight I suppose. I have a Yamaha 5hp as well.

Paul

PostPosted: Apr 9th, '14, 13:12 
CompetentCrew

Have thanks: 14 times
I had a 2 stroke twin 8hp (28kg), replaced with a single 5hp single tohatsu(21kg), and never looked back.

I get 6.2 knots at full throttle with my 20ft TS, and use a whole lot less fuel.
I've already had to rescue a 14 ft runabout motorboat, and my 5hp towed the dead motorboat upstream to the ramp no problem at all, still doing 4 knots.

Absolutely no point in going 9.9hp, for a 20-22ft TS where you have to lift up the motor every time you go sailing.

PostPosted: Jun 2nd, '14, 12:33 
Inshore Skipper

Have thanks: 60 times
Any quality outboard run consistently close to it's rating but serviced correctly will last for thousands of hours. While the cheap Asian stuff is attractive initially, it probably will become problematic when the lower quality components and base materials start to dissolve in as little as a couple of years.

Nearly all outboards rot to death, only rarely are any used hard enough for wear rates to even become measurable.

Most issues come from stale fuel, neglect and corrosion. So a correctly propped 4 to 6 hp outboard - with long or extra-long shaft to get the prop deep will probably cover all requirements in normal conditions. Storm probably not - but then twice or more the power may not help much if conditions are horrendous... If you need to charge batteries you are pushed towards the bigger four-stroke models over 8 hp, and electric start bigger again.

As far as brand is concerned - go for the name brands, and most critically go for a reputable service shop that specifically deals with your chosen brand in your area. That is far more important than if you have a Suzuki, Yamaha, Honda, Merc etc. All the main brands will do really well as there are no bad outboards with them, only which features are most suited to your chosen function.

With smaller two strokes and four strokes, the total cost of ownership is well on the side of the two stroke for the first few years. I prefer four strokes, but two strokes don't offend me - and the weight advantage is pretty significant with the little stuff.

PostPosted: Jun 2nd, '14, 13:08 
Yachtmaster

Well mine was a Yamaha before it decided that parts wanted to rot away, why they decided to use a steel part instead of stainless in a place that water would run beats me.

I dont believe for 1 minute that the brand name stuck on the side is any guarantee of quality above and beyond any other motor with a different sticker on the side, I remember when if it had a label "Made in Japan" people would shrug it off as just rubbish, now the Japanese are held up as icon of quality, our houses are all full of stuff that is made in Japan, soon the same will be said for Chinese imports.

Many items that were once made by good old American companies are now made in Japan, China, Mexico or wherever they can get the lowest labour cost, Fender Guitars are a classic example but at least they name theirs accordingly, with a Fender guitar not made in the USA having the Squire postfix

Warneet Motor Yacht Club

PostPosted: Jun 2nd, '14, 13:52 
Inshore Skipper

Have thanks: 60 times
Our good friends had a Yam 8 - it rotted in the same places as yours I expect. It too has gone to a better place now, and a modern Yam/Merc/Mariner 6 has taken it's place. Still gets the Austral 20 up to hull speed, uses less fuel, lighter. Starts first pull most times, owners in their late 70's.

The problem with the Chinese brands is still the quality of the bits and raw materials. They are often marketed as identical to the Yammie or whatever it is they rip-off - but things like cables will be half the size, connectors are made of cheap soft metals, crimping is indifferent, internal corrosion is immediate and ongoing - if you ever have to pull one down they look a lot older in the galleries and chambers, full of white fluff and verdigris... They are not the same. I am quite confident in the condition and quality of my 1996 Honda 15 - by crikey it's a heavy bugger. It goes ok and uses maybe a litre an hour - but it is significantly slower and less fun than the 15 OMC it replaced. Heaps quieter though.

Blue-water cruising yachties have remarked to me no matter where they fetched up in the world - in some very remote communities too, the local fleets are heavily Yamaha. Commercially I know of a 40 that was retired after clocking 10,000 hours. Sounds like a hat full of nuts and bolts, but starts every time and still goes quite hard on a recreational boat. I've used most brands over the last four decades, and can promise that if it has a piston it can give you grief, in fact I have blown up at least one of each.

Having said that, of course there is no reason the Chinese stuff will not in time become our main brands, of that I am absolutely certain - sooner rather than later too, but I am not convinced they are up there with the main brands, closer every year, just not there yet. When I was young Mercury were called black anchors, and had a bad reputation for corrosion due to black steel and porous alloy components - they were primarily fresh water designs and really didn't like salt... And Chrysler/Force were just rubbish. Wasn't just the Japanese stuff that was derided, and with good reason. Still think it is the service that is more important than the brand - if you have a local service shop for your chosen brand then that is far better than trying to deal with an issue and a mechanic/agent maybe hundreds of kilometres away.

It's not an absolute, but you will generally get what you pay for, and often barely that...

PostPosted: Jun 3rd, '14, 21:25 
Midshipman

Have thanks: 3 times
i have a farr 6000 and use to have a honda 9.8 4 stroke which worked well,but was very heavy and getting tired. i looked into all brands and decided on a tohatsu 6hp. 4 stroke sail pro,which is design for yachts, it has extra long shaft special pushing prop.and plug for battery charging
it works fantastic ,cost $1850 new

PostPosted: Jun 3rd, '14, 22:28 
Admiral

Have thanks: 1033 times
farrijk wrote:
... tohatsu 6hp. 4 stroke sail pro,which is design for yachts, it has extra long shaft special pushing prop.and plug for battery charging it works fantastic ,cost $1850 new

Front gear shift, 26kg, 25", 5 Amps, optional internal tank, 4 stroke.
Hard to argue with that for $1850.

A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

PostPosted: Feb 8th, '18, 00:16 
Midshipman

Have thanks: 0 time
zebedee wrote:
sailboatmike wrote:
...how many horses do I need, the 8Hp drove it along at hull speed at around 2/3 throttle into around 3 or 4 knts of current and a slight head wind.

I've got a Honda BF5 (4 stroke single, 5hp, 27kg) on a Castle, which is a whisker bigger than the Sunmaid.

I wouldn't want anything heavier particularly if manhandling it off the transom regularly.
I wouldn't go smaller, but the 5hp has been quite sufficient. I would think 8hp would be overkill unless its the 8hp version of a common 6hp & 8hp design.
At under 30kg in a four stroke, you won't get a twin and I doubt you'll get past 6hp.

I don't like 2 strokes, but I accept that other people do not share my predjudices.

sailboatmike wrote:

5.8hp should be enough. I can't see much point in choosing a twin over a single.

sailboatmike wrote:

Do either of them have an alternator?

PostPosted: Feb 8th, '18, 10:29 
Midshipman

Have thanks: 0 time
The way I see it is you buy a good reliable motor for insurance. Id rather pay $2000 for a new motor than a cheapy! because knowing my luck I'll get caught with no wind, a 3 kt current and rocks approaching with an outboard that wont start yelling why didnt I buy a better outboard.