Installing an outboard motor mount

Place storing & Sharing info on these fairly rare boats
surfsideminer
Inshore Skipper

Installing an outboard motor mount

Post by surfsideminer » Apr 22nd, '14, 21:47

The outboard motor mount on Pearl was a source of constant frustration when trying to raise and lower it when on the water.

It was easy to raise and lower when standing behind the boat on dry land but almost impossible to raise on the water... as a result I purchased a new stainless steel spring assisted mount that is rated to 20kg... much more than required for my little 6hp yamaha 2 stroke... I am always happy to take a mechanical advantage... especially when bobbing around on the ocean...

Access to the bolts inside the transom is via the port quarter berth and an almost impossible squeeze for a person of my size. I can just reach the bolts by squeezing in on my back with my arms outstretched, three more inches and I would be hopelessly stuck needing a rope around my ankles to pull me out. To make life simple I engaged the services of my 8 year old granddaughter as she could sit comfortably inside and hold a spanner for me. It did cost me a set of stick on nails... but still cheaper than calling out the fire brigade to pull me out.

The new mount is level to the waterline... it is my photography that is crooked.

SSM
SSM (Terry)
MMSI 503006330

Pearl - Mounts Bay 21 (Swing Keel)
Mount Richon (Western Australia)

CSR
Midshipman

Re: Installing an outboard motor mount

Post by CSR » May 8th, '14, 21:11

Hi Surfsideminer, this is my first post on TSP. Nice job with the new bracket and nothing like working alongside your granddaughter.
I have the same old bugger of a bracket as you did and it really struggles to lift the 6hp Johnson on my Sunmaid 20. I looked at getting a new you beaut heavier rated one, but decided to try and be a frugal sailer ( I have Scottish heritage) and create some lifting help. I now have a rope attached to the bracket that hangs back over the back rail and has a loop at its end. I put my foot in the loop and push down with my leg to assist me to lift the motor. So far so good. I have saved some money to throw at something else in this nautical money pit.

surfsideminer
Inshore Skipper

Re: Installing an outboard motor mount

Post by surfsideminer » May 8th, '14, 23:51

CSR wrote:Hi Surfsideminer, this is my first post on TSP. Nice job with the new bracket and nothing like working alongside your granddaughter.
I have the same old bugger of a bracket as you did and it really struggles to lift the 6hp Johnson on my Sunmaid 20. I looked at getting a new you beaut heavier rated one, but decided to try and be a frugal sailer ( I have Scottish heritage) and create some lifting help. I now have a rope attached to the bracket that hangs back over the back rail and has a loop at its end. I put my foot in the loop and push down with my leg to assist me to lift the motor. So far so good. I have saved some money to throw at something else in this nautical money pit.
Welcome on board :)

You should share your invention in a post, the yachties here are reasonably tame and enjoy people sharing their ideas, especially if you include pictures or drawings.

BOAT = Bring On Another Thousand :)

The TS is still cheaper than my previous yacht.
SSM (Terry)
MMSI 503006330

Pearl - Mounts Bay 21 (Swing Keel)
Mount Richon (Western Australia)

Return to “Mounts Bay & Endeavour”