Over a period of a couple of months I noticed the plate at the top of the rudder starting to delaminate. I originally put it down to delaminating plywood, but when I removed the offending material I discovered that it was laid up fibreglass with no timber whatsoever. This area has copped a beating stress wise due to the plate that is used to hold the rudder up while travelling. I have replaced the solid glass top with a ply and glass composite piece of the same size.
End view after the delaminated glass was cut off.
Delaminated top. Note that I cut as close to the plate as possible.
Old top plate and new replacement piece of ply
New top plate in place with temporary screws through the top to hold it in place during glassing.
Note the dark patches (filled holes). To ensure that the stress of pulling the rudder up was spread more evenly and reduced on the actual new plate I drilled holes through, ensuring the were belled out at the bottom to increase surface area inside the rudder against the foam fill. This also ensured that there was no air space between the foam fill and the new plate, bonding the plate over the greatest area.
I used two layers of multiaxial glass mat which in effect gives 6 layers on the underside at the front and rear due to the cloth wrapping around. Time will tell if this is sufficient however I would expect this to be enough given that the underside of the new plate is bonded to the filling foam and the bell shaped holes also spreading the load.
Place storing & Sharing info on these fairly rare boats
1 post • Page 1 of 1