St Georges Basin NSW

Ken
CompetentCrew

St Georges Basin NSW

Post by Ken » Aug 10th, '18, 15:46

Hi all, can anybody recommend a good boat ramp at St Georges Basin. Good overnight parking, seems to be only four that I have found on google and info on parking and facilities a bit lite on. Any info appreciated would like to head down there and have a look later this year. thanks Ken

Wingman
Midshipman

Re: St Georges Basin NSW

Post by Wingman » Jan 30th, '19, 20:43

Hi Ken,

Did you end up getting to the Basin? We are going there in a couple of weeks and would like to know how you got on.

Cheers
Cheers!

Wingman
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Boomerang 20 (No. 133) with Johnson 6.5hp 'commercial' - Canberra Yacht Club

Ken
CompetentCrew

Post by Ken » Jan 31st, '19, 18:00

not yet, it is on my to do list, have you decided where to launch from?

Wingman
Midshipman

Post by Wingman » Feb 2nd, '19, 07:16

Thinking about Basin View. I've google mapped and street viewed the ramps and for us that seems the best. I might change my mind when I get there. I'll let you know how we go.
Cheers!

Wingman
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wingman
Midshipman

Post by Wingman » Feb 10th, '19, 19:14

Just got back from an awesome weekend at St Georges Basin. To answer your initial question Ken, we launched at Basin View. We chose this location as it looked like it might be the quietest and it is also a little out of the way compared to the others so we thought that overnight parking may be safest there. The ramp is steepish and a little slippery. You can easily launch two boats at a time and there is plenty of set up room (there's an overhead power wire so don't set up near the top road or your mast will have to come down again). There are amenities and a jetty as well. As for the sailing...

We struck a blustery westerly (up to 20 knot gusts) on the Saturday afternoon and didn't sail very much as it was very unpredictable. There are plenty of bays and inlets on the southern side for protection but be aware of long, shallow mud flats that stretch for a fair distance from the shore. Sunday was just magnificent. With a SE averaging about 10 consistent knots we did some exploring around the St Georges Basin and Sanctuary Point areas. We were restricted for time but there is so much exploring to do that we are definitely heading back as soon as we can.

Overall, we found it very sail friendly, lots of broad expanses of water and sail friendly power boaters. Our depth sounder was handy as there were some spots that looked deep enough but got shallow quickly. Usual small selection of boat ramp fools but overall, a friendly and easy place to sail.

P.S. On Saturday afternoon we were called to the aid of a stranded power boat and were pretty happy with our little Johnson 6.5's ability to push the Boomer and pull a laden power boat into a strong headwind. Fun in boats...
Last edited by Wingman on Feb 12th, '19, 20:23, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers!

Wingman

Ken
CompetentCrew

Post by Ken » Feb 11th, '19, 15:29

thanks I will make a point to go there next trip. I was going this week but I have been busy and did not feel up to a new adventure so opted to head down tomorrow to Brooklyn for a couple of nights, a place I know well, nice easy two days sailing.

Return to “NSW Ramp and Location Reviews”