It is currently Sep 20th, '17, 11:47

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Jul 12th, '17, 11:51 
CompetentCrew

Have thanks: 14 times
Hi all,

I don't know if this is the right place to post this. I am looking into permanent mooring options around south east queensland. I live in brisbane so obviously the closer the better. I'd prefer to trailer of course but I'm cnsidering my options....

Most marinas don't post prices and availability online. When I enquired about swing moorings they said I had to find a spot and weren't terribly forthcoming on where or how. There was a mention of moorings still being sunk in the brisbane river but I've no idea where...

So..

Are all the marinas/hardstands similar prices ?

Who should I ask about swing mooring sites ?

Any recommendations and information appreciated.

PostPosted: Jul 13th, '17, 08:50 
Yachtmaster

Have thanks: 249 times
I think people anchor long term in the river, so you could get a huge anchor, swivel and chain and make up your own semi mooring.....

Tapatalk

PostPosted: Jul 13th, '17, 09:19 
Admiral

Have thanks: 475 times
Marinas are not all the same price, but not that far apart either. We have a 10 metre boat at East Coast marina, Manly and that is about $6500 pa. Scarborough a bit less but all will be around that kind of money. The reason that they don't help you much with swing moorings is that they don't own them so would have no idea what is available. You have to go through the Maritime services for that information.

Jacob's Well at Horizon Shores is cheaper but further away from you and Moreton Bay.

Added costs of keeping a boat in the water? Antifouling annually. Insurance is much dearer and a lot of companies require an out of water survey every five years to keep the policy.

We budget for basically $10,000 pa if we don't use the boat at all to cover all of this. Whatever you break or wear out comes on top of that. :lol: So, you can buy a cheap keeler for say $10,000 but you have doubled your expenditure after the first year assuming that there is nothing to spend on it.
If all this is acceptable to you then go ahead, you will certainly enjoy the Bay and even just spending days in the marina is cool and quite relaxing. There is nothing like just arriving, stepping on the boat, firing up the engine and fridge and letting the lines go. Beats all that setting up/trailering/launching stuff, but you do pay for that pleasure. :wink:

PS. A lot of companies will not insure a boat on a swing mooring so check if you are thinking of going this way.

Coops.

PostPosted: Jul 13th, '17, 14:01 
CompetentCrew

Thank you very much for the reply. Very helpful

Yes it was maritime services I spoke to. I think they are a division of queensland transport, or that department, I could be confused. I usually am. I believe they have maps or a database with the locations on it, but they weren't very helpful. Might just have been the person I spoke to.

I'd park it at hervey bay marina if it was significantly cheaper :)

I was looking at 3rd arty property rather than comprehensive. Boats are so cheap now I wonder if it's worth insuring the thing itself, but damage to other craft and of course humans...that's another thing.

Yes it's probably better to stick with a trailer boat. You can also do without a tender with a lifting keel. Maybe I should go and look at this spider 28..

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/manly/s ... 1152985024

PostPosted: Jul 13th, '17, 14:12 
Admiral

Have thanks: 475 times
If you want to berth in a marina, or even store the trailer boat in there on it's trailer, you will have to insure it comprehensive. They will not even let you visit in most of them for a night without showing proof of this.

Coops.

PostPosted: Jul 13th, '17, 17:18 
CompetentCrew

Ok. I thought 3rd party property was adequate. Another reason to go for a trailer boat then. It really isn't any wonder why keel boat prices are descending to nothing is it ? Sigh...

PostPosted: Jul 14th, '17, 00:11 
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Have thanks: 21 times
Do you have any contacts in any of the canal estates that may have a pontoon that they do not use. A friend rented a pontoon in Raby Bay until they could get a mooring position of MSQ.

PostPosted: Jul 14th, '17, 11:12 
CompetentCrew

Thank you for the reply.

I had thought of canvasing the pontoons in the river. Most are upstream of the bridges but if I could drop the mast...

Unfortunately our government decided to build a bridge with 9m min air draft some years back. Before that they were all 11m plus...sigh...

I've found some great threads here on maxi trailer sailors, which I am reading through and summarising according to my criteria. That should keep me busy for a few days :)

PostPosted: Jul 15th, '17, 02:07 
CompetentCrew

Have thanks: 5 times
Guzzi, a Rob Legg 28 (RL28) might be good to consider, you do need quite a big tow vehicle though.

PostPosted: Jul 15th, '17, 12:49 
CompetentCrew

I am more familiar with the RL28 than the other maxi's, but I am trying to get my head around other options.

I've studied this post:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14283

and am trying to research boats with 1.7 plus headroom, enclosed heads and decent doubles. It looks like I can get away with something a tad smaller, although lighter is another issue. The weight doesn't matter as such because I'm 3 kms from the ramp, that's the only towing I'd be doing, but my falcon ute is limited to 2.3 ton so that can run you in to problems.

I've been sailing cats for the last 20 years so I'm well practised at keeping a boat light :D

I've been working on a design for a 7 meter cat, 2.9 wide with 1.8 headroom enclosed heads, standup shower and full queen birth, but I don't really want to build let alone design and build, and besides I'm busting to go sailing now... :)