It is currently Dec 18th, '17, 08:29

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: YARINGA MAST UP STORAGE
PostPosted: Oct 9th, '17, 14:40 
Midshipman

Have thanks: 0 time
Hi All,

I am considering putting my boat down at Yaringa Marina for about 3 months in the mast-up storage area. I like the idea of phoning up the marina when conditions look right and have them launch my boat ready for me to roll up and simply step on and go. My boat is a timber Hartley TS21. I have heard rumours that the Yaringa staff are more focused on getting your boat in and out of the water and not so much on the care factor that we would normally bestow upon lunching our beloveds.

I'd welcome any feedback both good and bad to assist in my decision making process.

Thanks,

Gunnadave.

PostPosted: Oct 9th, '17, 15:18 
Admiral

Have thanks: 494 times
GUNNADAVE wrote:
I have heard rumours that the Yaringa staff are more focused on getting your boat in and out of the water and not so much on the care factor that we would normally bestow upon lunching our beloveds.

I'd welcome any feedback both good and bad to assist in my decision making process.

Thanks,

Gunnadave.

I don't think that I would like the Yaringa staff lunching my beloved. She says that she wouldn't mind though, depending on how good looking they are. :lol:

Coops.

PostPosted: Oct 9th, '17, 16:14 
Admiral

Have thanks: 263 times
I heard they were vegetarians :)

PostPosted: Oct 9th, '17, 16:20 
Admiral

Have thanks: 263 times
I can't comment on Yaringa, but I know of one storage place (will remain un-named) which has a reputation for being rough on boats - not getting them centred on the rollers etc. Some of them use tractors which have their own winches rather than using the trailer winch, so that can also introduce off-centre effects.

I suspect that they are in business to make money and time is money, so they might cut corners.

Nobody will give the TLC to launching and retrieving that the owner does.

PostPosted: Oct 9th, '17, 16:44 
Yachtmaster

Have thanks: 471 times
I think Yaringa require 24 hours notice to launch your boat, with the current guesstimates the BOM are putting out as forecasts, we work on the wait and see approach after missing many good boating days because the BOM got it totally wrong and we had made other plans due to the forecast.

Their is a professional meteorologist thats a member of Hastings YC, he does the offshore forecasting for the oil industry when they are building platforms and the such, his forecasts rarely align with the BOM, the BOM seem to always hedge their bets to be totally risk averse

Warneet Motor Yacht Club
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClULxhArKeEpFb_3-iYna5w/videos

PostPosted: Oct 9th, '17, 23:42 
Yachtmaster

Have thanks: 505 times
Not yaringa related, but after watching petes un named operator launch other peoples boats....I don't care how many times he calls me a tight Anus - he's not touching my boat!

So , perhaps go and watch them launch, plus ideally watch how boats are moved around. Then decide if you'd prefer to move / launch your boat yourself.

An ideal facility has 24/24 access so you can use your boat when YOU want to, return when you like, and always find the boat where you left it ( rather than moved to different parts of the complex and blocked in by other boats)

Good luck

PostPosted: Oct 10th, '17, 05:31 
Admiral

Have thanks: 922 times
These sorts of places sell the idea of launching and retrieving for you as an extra value convenience for the boat owner, but in reality they'd probably rather not have their customers manoeuvring trailers in close quarters amongst each others' boats.
I've watched the launching/retrieval practices of one place who are not Yaringa and who shall remain nameless. See if you can discretely see them in action; watch how they treat a boat when they know the owner is not there (and don't realise the stranger watching them dragging a rudder up the ramp knows the owner... - again, NOT Yaringa)

A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

PostPosted: Oct 10th, '17, 10:19 
Able Skipper

Have thanks: 61 times
Hi David, I once retrieved from Yaringa in a fresh Easterly on a rising tide. The boat was a complete b@$¥@£d to get back on. Provided a great deal of amusement to the diners at the cafe though. If the dudes on the tractor were doing it, I'd probably have got a hole in my boat. You've got bunks on your trailer yes? That may make it safer for them to do the retrieval.
I'd spend the marina fees on a nice little open boat with an unstayed rig and use that for the after work jaunts and day sails. Use the Hartley for overnighters and all the OTW events the club has planned.

PostPosted: Oct 10th, '17, 13:48 
Midshipman

Thanks all for your replies to date. As always, this forum is invaluable (if not at times amusing). I think Gavbo you may have hit the nail on the head and will give your suggestion some serious consideration.

Looking forward to further input from anyone wishing to venture an opinion.

PostPosted: Oct 10th, '17, 18:25 
Yachtmaster

Easterlies are very rare around Westernport, that being said we did have a weekend of easterlies last weekend, a easterly of any strength can make Westernport nasty place and there was a nasty chop running when we were out Saturday.

I would of thought the ramp at Yaringa runs east / west

All in all I dont fancy running that narrow channel into Yaringa with a big northerly blowing, many boats have run aground after being blown out of the channel

Warneet Motor Yacht Club

PostPosted: Oct 10th, '17, 19:26 
Administrator

Have thanks: 398 times
Yaringa Chanel does become a 300 mm deep muddy slide at low tide. We did manage to slide in one weekend on low tide.

Attachments:
Yaringa.jpg
Yaringa.jpg [ 203.32 KiB | Viewed 435 times ]

PostPosted: Oct 11th, '17, 00:28 
Able Skipper

Something like this
https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for- ... HILLY-TERN
Cool hey?

PostPosted: Oct 11th, '17, 09:07 
Able Skipper

sailboatmike wrote:
I would of thought the ramp at Yaringa runs east / west ....

It does. The problem was that the wind and tide together created a small swell that kept lifting the boat off the rollers and pushing it forwards, but not straight. Jeffs photos appear to be taken from the launching ramp and you can see that there is no protection from the east, except perhaps the fact that it can be so shallow.

PostPosted: Oct 11th, '17, 09:44 
Yachtmaster

Have thanks: 299 times
The Whilly Tern looks nice. The sad truth about marina / storage people launch / retrieve, is that launch only means boat in water and retrieve means boat on trailer how either is achieved is brutal at best. Even with boats where the trailer axle does not have to be dunked it will be and don't kid yourself wash down if included is of any value.
BTW I believe Martha Cove has or will soon have mast up storage. Anyway, the issue is a life style thing if marina storage and launching gets you more time doing what you like - go for it, life is not a rehearsal.

PostPosted: Oct 11th, '17, 11:15 
Inshore Skipper

Have thanks: 50 times
Hi GD,
I remember having to get the Careel 18 re-launched after a retrieval due to one of the wobble rollers being inverted, it was causing quite a reverse bulge in the rounded bilge. I soon learned to bungee the rollers just where they were needed. The crew certainly weren't checking to see that the boat was ion the trailer properly. That was at Yaringa. They used the tractor winch back then, I don't know if that is the current practice, I wouldn't think there would be as much "feel" and care as we would experience whilst retrieving our own boats. Just sayin' that's all!
Regards,
Another David

(currently in dry dock receiving some overdue TLC)

PostPosted: Oct 11th, '17, 20:50 
Midshipman

Hmmmm, the more I read, the more I wonder if the Yaringa mast-up plan is such a good idea. Colect149's comment "the issue is a life style thing if marina storage and launching gets you more time doing what you like - go for it, life is not a rehearsal" strikes a chord as time never seems to be on my side and battling queues at ramps trying to launch and retrieve is never a lot of fun (the last time I launched it took about 2 hours to get on the water - rigging only takes around 45 minutes!)

The Ian Oughtred 'Willy Tern' looks intriguing Gavbo however my two man kayak would possibly do as much (apart from sail) for considerably less money. Perhaps I should stick to paddling between overnighting on Rhapsody.

PostPosted: Oct 11th, '17, 21:03 
Yachtmaster

Have thanks: 505 times
GUNNADAVE wrote:
Hmmmm, the more I read, the more I wonder if the Yaringa mast-up plan is such a good idea. Colect149's comment "the issue is a life style thing if marina storage and launching gets you more time doing what you like - go for it, life is not a rehearsal" strikes a chord as time never seems to be on my side and battling queues at ramps trying to launch and retrieve is never a lot of fun (the last time I launched it took about 2 hours to get on the water - rigging only takes around 45 minutes!)

The Ian Oughtred 'Willy Tern' looks intriguing Gavbo however my two man kayak would possibly do as much (apart from sail) for considerably less money. Perhaps I should stick to paddling between overnighting on Rhapsody.

Sounds like you need a hobie sailing kyak / trimaran thingy ? Launch off the beach so no waiting for ramps...and a years mast up storage would pay for it!

PostPosted: Oct 12th, '17, 05:54 
Yachtmaster

Hastings public ramp has 4 lanes, while a busy ramp I have never seen queues for more than a few minutes

Warneet Motor Yacht Club

PostPosted: Nov 1st, '17, 15:15 
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Have thanks: 47 times
Yaringa is a great place to keep the boat with a few caveats. I had mine there for 2 years.

Yes - you do need to give them a bit of notice, but it wasn't 24 hrs a few years back
Yes - they use a tractor winch not your winch to winch you up
Yes - they won't necessarily check that you're 100% aligned
Yes - mastup storage is terrific!
Yes - the other unnamed operator (not Yaringa) managed to forget my boat and didn't bring it in until I had a call from the water police saying my boat had been abandoned

Other points:
- keep the keel half way up if low tide until you're out in the bay, the channel can be very shallow
- don't waste a new trailer at Yaringa, use an old one if you can because the wash they "sometimes" give is very perfunctory and the boat is then sitting in salty windy air and will need good money spent on it every year to stop it rusting out.
- they also completely dunk the trailer so if you're one of the TSers that refuse to get the hubs wet you'll be in for a surprise.

Cheers,
Ric

Botterill Explorer 16 #10 - Captain Phasma
Macgregor 26X - Lollipop Apocalypse