It is currently May 26th, '18, 23:05

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Launch points in wa
PostPosted: Oct 3rd, '14, 15:32 
Midshipman

Have thanks: 0 time
Hi all, looking for personnel recommendations for launching a fixed keel trailer sailor and places to sail her we won't get stuck in and around Perth. Have done from amateur boat builders yard in maylands but am not a member so is no go. Just looking for in the river sailing at present till we work out the yacht and her quirks. Thanks in advance.
(I did look but could not see it in the forums so sorry if I've missed an already post. I'm not good with forums and computers)

Post subject: Re: Launch points in wa
PostPosted: Oct 4th, '14, 12:59 
Inshore Skipper

Have thanks: 26 times
hi peets how much water to you need to launch, how much water do you need to sail, how tall is the boat from waterline to top of the mast and where do you live, north, south, east or west.

I live south east and sail out of Woodman Point where we can stay in the sheltered waters of Cockburn Sound or can head out into the ocean, etc. No bridges, no fickle winds sailing close to the landform in the river, no stress from mud banks.

The advantage for beginners in the sound is that there is lots of room to move, learn and make mistakes and if worse comes to worse the sea rescue boats are nearby.

I don't sail the river because most ramps have very limited parking and you often have to tow the boat through narrow suburban streets full of cars parked on the roadsides.

If you have a tablet download Navionics HD and buy the appropriate map, you will see there is a lot of shallow water in the river and it lists all the boat ramps and you can see the depths of the water surrounding the ramps.

Pearl - Mounts Bay 21 (Swing Keel)
Mount Richon (Western Australia)

Post subject: Re: Launch points in wa
PostPosted: Oct 5th, '14, 23:45 
Midshipman

Have thanks: 0 time
Sounds good. The owner of the little ts is taking us out Saturday from the armature boat building yard in maylands. We live in Morley so not too bad a drive to woodmans. I drive a bus so navigating little streets isn't an issue. We don't have an outboard yet(still looking for one)and I've sailed on tall ships and one 42 bennetau so will be learning. I don't have a radio in her yet either